Canon Powershot G2 - Converters

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaturePhotoG

Feb 6, 2002
Australia
Dear G2 owners,

I would like to find out the converters that you are using for your Powershot G2? Besides the TC-DC 58 1.5X teleconverter, is there any that you would recommend that is good on the nifty G2?

And if so, where would be the place recommended to get it? Your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

A good TC will be the olympus B300. It's a 1.7x TC and i think u can get it at AP for around $290.

Does anyone know if we can get the TIffen converters in Singapore?

Specifically keen to get the
Tiffen MegaPlus 2x tele-converter

Wonder how much will they cost here?

:cool:

Originally posted by ptlee
Does anyone know if we can get the TIffen converters in Singapore?

Specifically keen to get the
Tiffen MegaPlus 2x tele-converter

Wonder how much will they cost here?

:cool:

i think u can try AP. i was there asking & was told by Steven they stock certain convertors but i had no time to spare & had to get back to work so never ask much. i'll be going there again to check them out perhaps over this wkend.

ahem... pardon my ignorance, by AP you mean...

Alan Photo.

But don't get Vitacon ones. I tried several and they all perform below the specs (e.g. 2.5x is only 1.5x, 2x is only 1.3x). Test any 3rd party teleconverter before you buy.

Originally posted by mpenza
Alan Photo.

But don't get Vitacon ones. I tried several and they all perform below the specs (e.g. 2.5x is only 1.5x, 2x is only 1.3x). Test any 3rd party teleconverter before you buy.

I have tried on my G2 the Olympus C210 and found that it vignetts alot. I also tried the B300 and what a big lens! Found that the B300 does not vignett and it offers the best teleconverter. However, it is very expensive (I was quoted $300+ and I did not bargain).
Next, I tried the original canon TC-DC58. Does not perform as good as the B300 (I was quoted $185 and I did not bargain). Next I tried the Vitacon 2x. To my surprise it does not vignett. However, like what you said the 2x is actually only 1.3x. This is the cheapest and most compact. I was quoted as $95 and bargain until $80. Bought the Vitacon and dunno whether kenna tok or not.
Managed to get the Adobe PS Element CD FOC from them.

The best performance is the B300 and the worst is Vitacon with the Canon original in the middle. If price is not the issue, get the B300. For compactness and cheap but sacrificing the tele length, get the Vitacon. IMHO, the DC-TC58 offers the best value. Hopes that helps.

Anyone with a wide angle converter? I was shown a vitacon (?) which was cheap and much wider than the canon original but anything outside the middle 50-67% of the image was unuseable

Originally posted by cyaw
Anyone with a wide angle converter? I was shown a vitacon (?) which was cheap and much wider than the canon original but anything outside the middle 50-67% of the image was unuseable

if you take into account the 33-50% spoilage, you effectively end up with a less wide converter.

Anybody knows the actual zoom of a Tiffen 2X?
Thanx

:what:

Status
Not open for further replies.