Canon Powershot A75 image has large purple patches - anything wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lark

Nov 12, 2004
My Confession: I've read forums but never'd posted any. This is my 1st time. I don't know much about photograhpy.

I'd just bought a Canon Powershot A75 yesterday. While exploring the digital camera, I had a shot which gave an image which is almost completely white with a large patch of purple at the lower bottom corner and a much smaller purple patch at the top middle.

I'm not so much concern about the white image as I think it might be due to the ISO400 setting. When I reduced it to ISO 200, the image was no longer white and it showed up an acceptable image.

I'm concerned about the purple patches that appeared in two places in the image as I think tt might be an indication of a faulty CCD sensor!!!???

If I set the shutter speed to say 1/125, the under-exposed image shows up but still with noticeable purple patch at the bottom right hand corner.

Camera Settings for the white image were as follows:
Shutter Speed : 0.15 sec
F8.0
Tv Mode (Time-priority Mode; the shutter control mode, I think)
Exposure Compensation = 0
AWB (Automatic White Balance)
ISO 400
[ ] (i.e. Spot Focus)
Superfine S (i.e. 640 x 480 pixels)

Does anyone know what's going on? Is it the CCD Sensor problem? Is it inherent?

Regards,
Lark.

The simplest that I could think of is to copy and paste the image to the forum here but it didn't work.

Hi Megaweb,

I don't know if this will work... the image is here:

New amendment dated 13 Nov 2004:
The above hyperlink is no longer valid.
After reading the instructions in the Users Guide to Posting Images in ClubSNAP Forums by Darren, I've learnt how to post an image the right way. Here's the image:

14970IMG_3004-thumb.JPG

So simple, act blur and go back to the shop that you bought it from and say why like that one!!!
You sell me spoilt thing isit?????
I want to change new one!!!!!

And then insist to change, ask them to explain why there are purple spots, if you are a pretty girl even easier.

So sorry, Megaweb. I was holding on to to my reply page until I got my link worked out. I didn't see your message before this. But I tried the link that I'd created and it worked. Regards.

Lark said:
Hi Megaweb,

I don't know if this will work... the image is here:
wah so serious ... I think you have to send it back to the shop for exchange

megaweb said:
wah so serious ... I think you have to send it back to the shop for exchange

Really ah? I'll go back to Courts@Funan to exchange. Thanks for your advice!
Regards.

ortega said:
So simple, act blur and go back to the shop that you bought it from and say why like that one!!!
You sell me spoilt thing isit?????
I want to change new one!!!!!

And then insist to change, ask them to explain why there are purple spots, if you are a pretty girl even easier.

Thanks Ortega! I'll go back to the shop within these few days to change for a new one :)

ParkertR said:
eh... the purple spots are pretty bad :S you took a plain wall right? Better go exchange it... it's gotta be a faulty ccd man :X ugh!

I tried photographing plain walls and other objects but the results were the same. I hope it's not an inherent problem with the Powershot A75!

hi i'm using an A75. and these spots are abnormal. There is definitely a production defect. Just hope that the dealer won't direct you to their main office or smthing.

SHOOT!

nipapa said:
hi i'm using an A75. and these spots are abnormal. There is definitely a production defect. Just hope that the dealer won't direct you to their main office or smthing.

SHOOT!

Hi nipapa,

I was told that new stock will be in today so I'll be going down to make an exchange at Courts.

so wats wrong?? does the problem lies with the CCD or Lens? any one can clear this doubt?

i am intending to get myself a canon camera soon too... i am scared...

i guess we have to test the camera well before buying.

any pros here can give any tips or guildlines when buying a camera (eg. how to test if the camera is capturing the correct image)

aspire said:
so wats wrong?? does the problem lies with the CCD or Lens? any one can clear this doubt?

i am intending to get myself a canon camera soon too... i am scared...

i guess we have to test the camera well before buying.

any pros here can give any tips or guildlines when buying a camera (eg. how to test if the camera is capturing the correct image)

Hi Aspire and All!
I've just got the Canon Powershot A75 exchanged at Courts Ang Mo Kio(I bought it at Courts Funan. Their service is not bad - can exchange within 7 days).

It was confirmed that there was something wrong with the camera and I strongly believe the fault was with the CCD Sensor as suggested. The one that I now have does not have the purple patch problem. It's clean white through out! Here's a sample of the image and it's what I think it should look like:

14970IMG0001.jpg

My camera settings were:
File Name : IMG0001.jpg
Camera Model Name : Canon PowerShot A75
Shooting Date/Time : 11/16/2004 8:54:51 PM
Shooting Mode : Manual
Photo Effect Mode : Off
Tv( Shutter Speed ): 15
Av( Aperture Value ): 2.8
Metering Mode : Spot
ISO Speed : 400
Lens : 5.4 - 16.2mm
Focal Length : 5.4mm
Digital Zoom : None
Image Size : 640x480
Image Quality : Superfine
Flash : Off
White Balance : Fluorescent
AF Mode : Single AF
Color Space : sRGB
File Size : 79KB
Drive Mode : Single-frame shooting
Owner's Name : Lark

I'm not sure if over-exposing the CCD will cause any real harm to it or not but at least with this camera setting, I was able to detect the flaw in my first camera!

So, Aspire, you might want to set your camera like the above to test CCD sensor!?

Thanks to all!

ortega said:
Good the hear that you managed to get a 1 to 1 exchange.
Thank you, Ortega!

There is something I notice in the present camera(for easier reference, I shall call this camera "A75#2" and the camera before the exchange "A75#1"). The A75#2 produced an audible "clicking" sound when zooming in and out the lens. I don't know how to describe the sound but I don't remember hearing this sound with A75#1!

It appears to be a problem of the mechanical part(s) in the zoom mechanism. Is it normal? :dunno:

ha ha.... learn another thing here today.....
like that test camera one ah.... i dun know....

thanks for your tip....

Status
Not open for further replies.