Canon Photographer of the Year contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
I've been participating in the Canon Photographer of the Year contest, I just noticed a very interesting phenomenon...

A lot of great photos are taken by the lower segment models such as the EOS 1000D and 450D... is it the sheer number of cameras in this category? Or that this category of photographers really go out and take more pictures?

www.digitaldreams.com.sg/poty

This goes to show that it doesn't matter what gear you use. It is the one behind the camera that counts...

Its not the camera, its the photographer :cool:

Starting a new thread here for the Canon Photographer of the Year contest, as the previous thread in the exhibition and events section was shut down with too much discussion. It's open to anyone who shoots with Canon gear.

Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get shortlisted for the first two themes. This would be a good chance for all Canon photographers to join in as the theme for May has just been announced. By the way, congrats to the winners of May - some of the entries were pretty good! :thumbsup:

http://www.digitaldreams.com.sg/poty/

It's only April winners that are announced, frankly half of the winning entries are sub par to those who weren't even considered in the top-10, makes you wonder what they're really looking for as blurry, no concept snapshots trump those that are clearly superior in execution and concept.

It's only April winners that are announced, frankly half of the winning entries are sub par to those who weren't even considered in the top-10, makes you wonder what they're really looking for as blurry, no concept snapshots trump those that are clearly superior in execution and concept.

So basically people weren't happy when it was a voting system to decide the winner, and now they aren't happy how it's being judged.

Why bother to enter if you are so dissatisfied with the way it is conducted?

theveed if ur not happy with the rules dont enter. and if u think that the winning entries of April are not gd enough, submit ur own picture. lets compete

It's amusing how opinions are never welcomed for some folks... So defensive, are you guys that thin skinned to even start a mature discussion instead of thinking that any posts that don't agree with your are personal potshots?

Why bother to enter if you are so dissatisfied with the way it is conducted?

Gee, I wonder how one can find out how the new judging will be conducted before entering... Chicken or egg, which comes first? Not to mention, this was the first month that the POTY contest changed their judging system.

lets compete

This made me chuckle, issuing challenges when you're not even part of the issue as a subject matter. The post was for discussion about the contest's judging criteria, not about whether or not your photos are being questioned. The world doesn't revolve around you dude, get a grip.

For the record, Mr. Selley, I'd be surprised if you think your harbour photo entry isn't better than some of the top 10 entries selected by the contest, I sure think it's better than at least four of the selected entries.

Was my post a protest? No, it was an opinion, an opinion that states that the criteria for judging should be clearer so expectations are curbed.

Last edited:
1. Start thread in the correct forum

2. If purpose of thread is to announce publicize the Competition it should be in "Exhibitions and Events" which I have moved it to.

3. Apart form that, please refrain from excessive OT and argument, else thread will be closed or move to kopitiam.

Thank You

Last edited:
theveed, I admit to being a little "annoyed" (though this is not the right word) as I started the competition and saw how it was being judged, and I agree with you that the criteria for judging is something that is very unknown in this case, and therefore a little speculative and difficult to asses whether your photos actually have a chance.

I agree it would be easier to know exactly how it is being judged, or even who is doing the judging, before entering, and admit I was a little surprised by the winners for "water" thinking there were much better examples that did not win, but I guess that's what makes it so much fun :):)

I was led to this article by Mike Johnston, by some review thoughts he had on photography competitions. (original page here), and they both got me thinking about the whole process...and I guess I decided that at the very least it gives me a guided theme to provide a directional challenge to my photography each month.

theveed, I admit to being a little "annoyed" (though this is not the right word) as I started the competition and saw how it was being judged, and I agree with you that the criteria for judging is something that is very unknown in this case, and therefore a little speculative and difficult to asses whether your photos actually have a chance.

I agree it would be easier to know exactly how it is being judged, or even who is doing the judging, before entering, and admit I was a little surprised by the winners for "water" thinking there were much better examples that did not win, but I guess that's what makes it so much fun :):)

I was led to this article by Mike Johnston, by some review thoughts he had on photography competitions. (original page here), and they both got me thinking about the whole process...and I guess I decided that at the very least it gives me a guided theme to provide a directional challenge to my photography each month.

We're somewhat on the same boat, after all... See, there's no need to get personal with my original post. :)

I hope mods can move this to Kopitiam or Canon... We already have a previous "announcement" thread created and closed. Thanks mods.

1. Start thread in the correct forum

2. If purpose of thread is to announce publicize the Competition it should be in "Exhibitions and Events" which I have moved it to.

3. Apart form that, please refrain from excessive OT and argument, else thread will be closed or move to kopitiam.

Thank You

Dear mod,

Can we move this thread to the Canon section? It's inevitable that there're discussions about the quality of the submissions, and since this is all about Canon photographs (rather than truly kopitiam talk that is unrelated to photography), can we move it to Canon section and make it a sticky thread (given that it is a year-long photo contest).

Dear mod,

Can we move this thread to the Canon section? It's inevitable that there're discussions about the quality of the submissions, and since this is all about Canon photographs (rather than truly kopitiam talk that is unrelated to photography), can we move it to Canon section and make it a sticky thread (given that it is a year-long photo contest).

The equipment section is more for discussion on the equipment, performance, the technicals. I think KPT is the most suitable area looking at the subjects and opinion of the judging that is being discussed.As it is year long I think the discussion are also quite frequent hence this thread should will be quite visible.

Last edited:
Just wondering how they choose the photos.

I have to admit the top ten pictures are very good. Lots of imagination go into taking those shots. Hope to learn the skills.

I think this month's theme of "Love" is considerably more challenging than the previous two months. Love for spouse? Love for children? Love for animals? Love for life? Love for environment? Can still be interpreted in many ways... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.