Canon Photo Marathon 2008 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

art2d3d

Dec 15, 2003
Let's start....

I was shocked that the judging is so....
I look the Thailand winning photos - very street photography, journalist style of photos.
There was pure photographs depicting everyday happening. More artistic and news worthy.

Then why is Singapore photos so STAGED!

I get my auntie to pose with old photo.
That's it!

I go studio, set up the props and shoot.
That's it!

I can't get a human subject, I wear Canon shirt and pose in "jumping" pose! Jump for a reason?
That's it!

We make it so COMICAL. Funny. Is it there isn't any worthy subject happening to shoot in Singapore?
That I mean is, our surrounding is too structured, too clean and green, too perfect.
We have to alter the scene and get the judges attention!

If that is the case, next year...
I surf the internet, get a picture and shoot directly on the screen.
I get to pose myself in the photos in a comical pose.
I make props to shoot in studio.

Let me see.... I remember seeing most winning photos from other countries tells a story.
The SIngapore photos is HAHAHAHA type of photos.

Care to comment?

I'm not jealous for not winning. Just a penny of thought.

You will forget .... What happen ar?
Last year.....

I change to Nikon anyway after 15 years of Canon.

no need to remember.
for those not joining.

hi art2d3d, i agree with your views.
on a different note, i want to acknowledge the 2nd prize for Change in Student cateogry, i thought it was a good shot, good depiction of the theme, and very relavent in these troubled times.

Doesn't that mean we are more creative?

Last time too serious, cannot.
Now, loosen up also cannot. Hiyaa... :bsmilie:

can someone start a poll to feedback to Canon? else next year, mess boycott.

can someone start a poll to feedback to Canon? else next year, mess boycott.

How I wish, the judges make up of great international photographers.... let them have a good laugh of the entries... I am boycotting...alternatively I will bring along uncles, aunties, little brothers, beautiful models to pose for me. Sure win one ! Ha Ha..what a joke..totally disgusted.:confused:

Does anyone know who are the judges of the competition this year ? :think:

I don't know.... very secretive

Get 007 to check on them.

Thanks for the support.

We share the same view.

NEXT Year.... tell Canon to have 2 new category. Comedy and Indoor.

HAHAHA!!

Was disappointed with a few of their selections too! sigh!

Let's start....

I was shocked that the judging is so....
I look the Thailand winning photos - very street photography, journalist style of photos.
There was pure photographs depicting everyday happening. More artistic and news worthy.

Then why is Singapore photos so STAGED!

I get my auntie to pose with old photo.
That's it!

I go studio, set up the props and shoot.
That's it!

I can't get a human subject, I wear Canon shirt and pose in "jumping" pose! Jump for a reason?
That's it!

We make it so COMICAL. Funny. Is it there isn't any worthy subject happening to shoot in Singapore?
That I mean is, our surrounding is too structured, too clean and green, too perfect.
We have to alter the scene and get the judges attention!

If that is the case, next year...
I surf the internet, get a picture and shoot directly on the screen.
I get to pose myself in the photos in a comical pose.
I make props to shoot in studio.

Let me see.... I remember seeing most winning photos from other countries tells a story.
The SIngapore photos is HAHAHAHA type of photos.

Care to comment?

I'm not jealous for not winning. Just a penny of thought.

i can feel someone's ego bruised...

btw, its a matter of judging... everyone see things differently, what you think may be appropriate may not be what the judges think, and what the judge feels as a great interpretation of the themes may not be what you think...

anyway, art is subjective, and in this kinda competition... its 80% luck, 20% hardwork... you put in 100% hardwork which is translated into the 20% then shown as the effort they see in your pictures... but you need plenty of luck for that precise moment in time for them to notice it and give you high points...

Like the Moccan advertisment..

OR! This I Know!

It just that why the emphasis so much on Comedy? Staged Scene?
It's not creative, just plain NO IDEA WHAT TO TAKE.

btw, its a matter of judging... everyone see things differently, what you think may be appropriate may not be what the judges think, and what the judge feels as a great interpretation of the themes may not be what you think...

anyway, art is subjective, and in this kinda competition... its 80% luck, 20% hardwork... you put in 100% hardwork which is translated into the 20% then shown as the effort they see in your pictures... but you need plenty of luck for that precise moment in time for them to notice it and give you high points...

That's what I always tell others but they always say it's the skill n hardwork that's important. I didn't say that skill n hardwork aren't important, it's just that luck has a bigger factor to play with above skill n hardwork.

Even when u put 2 world professional photographers to the same project with the same scenery, u still won't get the same outcome u want. Sometimes, a noob might even happen to get good photos when the professional was there shooting the same thing.

So all in all, improve your skill, take better photos and pray for best of luck. ;)

Nope, art2d3d has a point. Bro, I thought you have been active in Eye the City? Eye the City is definitely a better competition than the Canon Marathon because it collects the life of Singapore and truly reflects the streets. I am not sure if you were at SMU that time. Did you see the comments written by an SMU lecturer and a foreigner? At that time, I felt proud of Eye the City because of the true shots of Singapore life. It doesn't have two thousand participants, but it is something solid.

My words do not target people who have taken part in Canon Marathon. The panel plays an important role here. You allow monkeys, people shoot monkeys and submit monkeys.

I have not seen the results this year but there was once where a winning entry was literally a photo of a poster :bsmilie: I didn't see any artistic merit. Maybe I'm not there yet.

I have not seen the results this year but there was once where a winning entry was literally a photo of a poster :bsmilie: I didn't see any artistic merit. Maybe I'm not there yet.

the thailand one also have a winner shooting a poster or something like that.
Best of Show - Theme 2 : The City of Angles

Nope, art2d3d has a point. Bro, I thought you have been active in Eye the City? Eye the City is definitely a better competition than the Canon Marathon because it collects the life of Singapore and truly reflects the streets. I am not sure if you were at SMU that time. Did you see the comments written by an SMU lecturer and a foreigner? At that time, I felt proud of Eye the City because of the true shots of Singapore life. It doesn't have two thousand participants, but it is something solid.

My words do not target people who have taken part in Canon Marathon. The panel plays an important role here. You allow monkeys, people shoot monkeys and submit monkeys.

well, its a different cause, ppl who join Eye e City does not go for prizes, instead, for the satisfaction of shooting.

for canon photo marathon, most ppl go with the hope to win...

mindset different, output will also be different...

cos when u shoot eye e city, you don't shoot cos you wanna win a prize, so you shoot what u think the judges want... instead, you shoot what u think you like and what you think best represents that moment in time.

for competitions, you shoot based on what the theme, and what the organiser may want you to portray... its a guessing game... u guess it, with a bit of luck, u win...

Status
Not open for further replies.