Canon original battery vs third party battery

smilingmango

Aug 21, 2010
Hi

I need to buy some spare batteries and would like to seek opinions on original vs 3rd party batteries for my Canon 550D. 3rd party batt is drastically cheaper than original batt but is there any issues or known problems with using 3rd party batts? Worried that after saving about $50, I end up sacrificing my camera.

No issue for me. Using them for 8 years already.

for newer camera, 3rd party batt will not indicate how much power is left, and you need a 3rd party charger also.

Nowdays the batteries are already chip and can use orginal charger to charge being using Hercules batteries so far so good and using orginal charger to charge them

Think most 3rd party battery last longer also as it power rating higher compare to original one. But sometime there error message that the camera can't communicate with the battery, so just need to off & on power again.

for newer camera, 3rd party batt will not indicate how much power is left, and you need a 3rd party charger also.

the TS has a 550D which uses LP-E8, and there is no chip in the battery.

Even then, chipped 3rd party LP-E6 batteries have been around for about a year already, showing the battery level and eliminating the need for a 3rd party charger.

Last edited:
Sorry just for my curiosity, what does the 'chip' you're referring to do? Any diff between batts with chips and no chips. :)

smilingmango said:
Hi

I need to buy some spare batteries and would like to seek opinions on original vs 3rd party batteries for my Canon 550D. 3rd party batt is drastically cheaper than original batt but is there any issues or known problems with using 3rd party batts? Worried that after saving about $50, I end up sacrificing my camera.

No worries abt that. I've been using them since I was using 10D over 6 years ago an mix them with originals in my battery grip until now without any problems.

In fact, I find them lasting even longer than the originals.

horizon8 said:
Sorry just for my curiosity, what does the 'chip' you're referring to do? Any diff between batts with chips and no chips. :)

Newer camera model's batts have a chip that tells them how much batt life is left. This feature is absent for some 3rd party ones but u still can use them.

Last edited:

The chip battery gives you feedback from the battery in terms of how power is left and how many photos you can potentially shoot with the remaining power. Non chip batteries are simple with no feedback to the user.

im using Phottix as my backup batt for 550D, so far so good... i just notice with phottix batt, once the batt indicator goes low, the batt dies out quickly compared to the canon... but for the price, theres nothing to complain...