Canon or Tamron....

Status
Not open for further replies.

twin fins

Feb 6, 2007
Dear Pros..

Which is a better lens ?

Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP or Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM ?

Thx ... .

17-50 for me anytime unless you plan to upgrade to FF or use with film cam... alternative would be Canon 17-55 IS

i'm using a 30D now with crap kit lens ... so tamron will b a better choice for me ?

i have tried the 17-40 with the 17-50.

The canon one is better in all areas.

Get the Tamron if you need a shallower DOF, or need faster shutter speed for lowlightings, or on a tighter budget. Get the Canon if you are looking for built, slightly better image quality, faster focusing and the L branding.

Is a travelling lens , mostly for land / city scapes , abstracts and still lifes .. . wat u reckon ?

Can also consider the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.

Better if you could tell us your Buget.....

Canon EF 17-40mm L or EF-S 17-55mm both cost $1+K..... While the Tamron 17-50mm will be more than $600+.

How much are you willing to spent 1st ?? ;)

bout $750~$900.
thx .

A USED Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM is still better than a NEW Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP ?

Not necessary, depending on how the previous owner uses it. If the overall condition's gd then it's definitely better. Else i would sugest u save more and get a new 17-40, now around $1100 only.

Just to state an example, one of my friend bought a 2nd-hand older 17-35 f/2.8 and its zoom ring is very loose. That means it's heavily used but it doesn't matter to him. So the bottomline is, a used original lens doesn't mean is still better than a 3rd-party one of similar class.

A USED Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM is still better than a NEW Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP ?

L lense are best in quality & build.... and for most here planning to go for a full frame camera later, a more worthwhile choices, but I would prefer the Tamron for its f2.8..... ;)

canon 17-40mm for me~~ gd gd lens~~ gd build, gd image quality, good for landscapes and portraits on a cropped sensor. on FF sensor, it makes a gd wide angle lens~~ =)

I would go for the 2nd hand Canon L 17-40 because of it's track record, build quality, greater re-sale value and the bottom line factor: top-notch repair and after-sales service for it unlike ehem, some brands where all you get is some crap excuse and everything also have to 'send back to Japan, have to send back to Germany bla bla bla'.

If you need more reach, flip freak suggested a Sigma 18-200 but the wide end suffers a bit, something that may bug you to no end for travel applications like landscapes and especially architecture.

Actually, coming to think about it, 17mm is also no great shakes - it equates a FOV of a 28mm lens on a full frame when used on your 30D, so it a little wide, but not that wide. Personally, I would find 17mm too restrictive, but that's just me.

Or you could get adventerous and go with a Sigma 10-20mm and a cheap 50mm prime (or a top-notch, super affordable, premium quality manual focus 50mm prime). Not a bad idea as it might force you to see things a lot more creatively.

A lot of these things depend on your personal vision and ways of approaching a given subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.