jkmchua

Jan 27, 2006
Hi,

I'm new owner of 350D. I'm considering whether to get

1) Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III

OR

2) Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO

Any advice please. Thank you.:cool:

For this case, go for the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO.

Canon bodies ... Canon lenses...... they are meant for each other.

Comparing the two lens, why not you go for EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM and the price diff. compared with the non-USM, is not too much.

See below lens price listed in Clubsnap and list price from Canon.

EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM: (Yen) RS$ - TCW $500, $365 (Grey) / MS $350
EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IIIS$430MM32°11’-8°15’9-13f/4-5.64.9/1.5122.116.8/480ET-6058E-58

EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USMS$500Ultrasonic32°11’-8°15’9-13f/4-5.64.9/1.5122.116.8/480ET-6058E-58U

- APO 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO - (MSC $320 w/gst)
As for Sigma, this is a good lens too depend on what you want as this lens is APO and Macro capability.

But, as this probably your first lens addition after your kit lens, than in my opinion, you should go for EF70-300 III USM but decision is up to you. Have fun.!
:)

I'd go for the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO ...

If the canon was bundled free like in the past, then its more worthwhile. Else i'll get the sigma as its sharper for both macro and general usage. Most CSers would agree its a good lens.

dEthANGeL said:
I'd go for the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO ...

If the canon was bundled free like in the past, then its more worthwhile. Else i'll get the sigma as its sharper for both macro and general usage. Most CSers would agree its a good lens.
I agree. I had both lenses before. The Sigma is significantly sharper and has negligible CA compared to the Canon. The downside is focusing is slower and noisier on the Sigma as no USM. The 1:2 macro capability of the Sigma is a bonus.

75-300 but get the USM version AT LEAST

guojielun said:
75-300 but get the USM version AT LEAST

The USM doesn't help much as far as i know ... its just the normal EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III with USM motor installed. Image wise, would be still the same (Not sure about thread starter but if i'm paying, i'd rather pay for the image quality if speed is not an issue). Focusing will still be slow but not that noisy. Internal USMs are faster as compared to their external counterparts - that's why Ls have them internally for a reason.

Do not get the Canon 75-300. U'll be immensely dissatisfied with the image quality. Images are very soft esp at abt 300mm. though i've not tried the sigma, i'm still quite sure it's better.

Depends on what u need. The Sigma will be a better choice as it has Macro function so able to focus on objects closely at 300mm. Magnification is also at 1:2.

Thanks for the feedback. It has been very useful to me. Infact I've read reviews on both lens and just want to listen to public's view before buying. I will be getting the sigma lens as picture quanlity is more important than speed and I don't mind the noise.:) :) :)

jkmchua said:
Thanks for the feedback. It has been very useful to me. Infact I've read reviews on both lens and just want to listen to public's view before buying. I will be getting the sigma lens as picture quanlity is more important than speed and I don't mind the noise.:) :) :)

why don't u try new canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM.Price abit more but u will like it the pic quality.Sharp all the way frm 70-300mm at wide open.I can post some sample pics.

jkmchua said:

excellent decision. brand new only $320 with GST from mscolour. make sure u test and get a good copy. bring down a laptop, take shots with a few different samples of the lens. try abt 3 -4 lenses and select the one that gives the sharpest images. i personally wouldnt get the IS USM. it's quite a bit more, and even with IS, f/5.6 indoor at 300mm isn't going to help much when you prob will only get 1/60 thereabouts at ISO1600. besides, no IS means you'll be given incentive to train handholding

for sigma lens,

1) it is a known fact there is always a danger of not being able to be use with latest slr/dslr.

2) if there is any back focus / front focus issue, good luck.

denniskee said:
for sigma lens,

1) it is a known fact there is always a danger of not being able to be use with latest slr/dslr.

2) if there is any back focus / front focus issue, good luck.

Sigma lens is also known for easy fogging and lens coating fading.

Snoweagle said:
Sigma lens is also known for easy fogging and lens coating fading.

yup, the lens barrel coating of my 70-200mm f2.8 hsm ex apo starts to peel within 1 year of usage. very very disappointed.

denniskee said:
yup, the lens barrel coating of my 70-200mm f2.8 hsm ex apo starts to peel within 1 year of usage. very very disappointed.

I suppose it's the process of coating that's more inferior on the sigma ones...IMO Tamron and of cos original Canon ones are very gd.

Either, but got to get a 2nd hand lens. :) since such lens has low resale price.

dRebelXT said:
Either, but got to get a 2nd hand lens. :) since such lens has low resale price.

Lens can buy 2nd hand but must check condition, especially the lens elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.