Canon or Panasonic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greencraft

Apr 18, 2005
Hi ppl, new to the forum... :)

need some advice. i'm thinking of getting my first digital camera but i'm spoilt for choice. looking at the following cameras:

canon: ixus 40, ixus 500, powershot a520
panasonic: lumix lz1, lz2, fx7

i like the ixus series n fx7 cos they are ultra compact. read that fx7 batt life sucks but some of my friends are still recommending it.

my friend says that 3x optical zoom isn't enough for taking landscape shots (going japan on hols) so 6x optical zoom on the new lumix lz1 n 2 is very tempting. but again, the brand panasonic isn't really synonymous w cameras so not too sure.

powershot series seems to be more reliable choice but size-wise...

any advice?

what is your basis for e cam 1st? =)
is it the size, the functionality or the budget?

i guess u need to give us an idea what u are looking for b4 we could suggest 1 to u,
but coming from a canon user... i say go for canon... :devil:

i guess more on functionality. thing is, not too sure how different features weigh against each other. Which features of a digital camera is more impt for a first time user?

pricewise, i think they are all ard $600-700?

actually leaning towards ixus 40 but i'm not sure if the amount of optical zoom makes a significant difference. cos the panasonic lz2 seems to be more value for money in that sense. read that ixus's movie mode is better than some other models/brands but i guess doesn't make much sense to use a digital still camera to take videos. ;p

both powershot n panasonic lz2 use AA batt, which i guess is more convenient. is it more common that compact models use Li batt?

u might want to check out www.dpreview.com to look at the previews of some of the cams....will gif u a better idea of which are the better cams ba...

I guess most compact cams like ixus uses Li ion batts coz it is much smaller....but AAs is still more conveneient....u can purchase them everywhere....

maybe u might wan to consdier powershot A510/ 520....their size is bigger than ixus but still quite compact in my opinion.... :)

what can be better than panasonic FZ3, FZ5 and FZ20 12x optical zoom yet affordable at good price?

:D

lol... FZ5 and 20 look too bulky for me. =P female, small hands. n too ex. hoping to keep it less than $650 actually.

perhaps u wanna consider the Nikon 4600 or 5600. the D Lighting feature is pretty good.

for landscapes, y do u need so much zoom? most ppl need wides! anyway, its gd to quip urself with a light travel tripod for ur trips.

i would say go for the canon powershot series, its not that bulky and has quite a good range of functions for a range of photography too, price wise maybe a tad on the expensive side. :)

Yah the new range of A series powershot's kinda lot lighter than the older series. 2 batteries now instead of 4. Lotsa functions. But usually females like even smaller stuff. Then I suppose then you'll be looking at cameras from Canon Ixus line

Canon A520 :bsmilie:

greencraft said:
lol... FZ5 and 20 look too bulky for me. =P female, small hands. n too ex. hoping to keep it less than $650 actually.

FZ5 not bulky it is actually a mini version of FZ20.

Kavana said:
FZ5 not bulky it is actually a mini version of FZ20.

hi greencraft,
yup... FZ5 is actually not bulky, it's mini and cute + 12x optical zoom :D

ivan said:
hi greencraft,
yup... FZ5 is actually not bulky, it's mini and cute + 12x optical zoom :D

Yeah..... Long life Long life Long Long life to Panasonic Lumix....

If u have posted on this forum eariler, we might be able to invite u to the panasonic new product review session held 2 wks ago.

Nevertheless, I agreed with ivan, FZ5 is a wonderful cam...
Btw, I am using a FZ20...

FZ5 have almost all the features build into that bigger FZ20.
And FZ5 is cheaper with some very interesting new features.

I like the new high speed focus in FZ5, its fast and sharp....
And the all time favourite 12x zoom, is the attraction to all the FZ series...
Never miss a shot.

ultimately, the decision is still yours. But if you really decide to but a panasonic, don't forget to drop by the panasonic forum to say hi... we are one group of fun people, with lots of outing and sharing session... Join us in the fun.

Regards,
tkp77.

tkp77 said:
Yeah..... Long life Long life Long Long life to Panasonic Lumix....

If u have posted on this forum eariler, we might be able to invite u to the panasonic new product review session held 2 wks ago.

Nevertheless, I agreed with ivan, FZ5 is a wonderful cam...
Btw, I am using a FZ20...

FZ5 have almost all the features build into that bigger FZ20.
And FZ5 is cheaper with some very interesting new features.

I like the new high speed focus in FZ5, its fast and sharp....
And the all time favourite 12x zoom, is the attraction to all the FZ series...
Never miss a shot.

ultimately, the decision is still yours. But if you really decide to but a panasonic, don't forget to drop by the panasonic forum to say hi... we are one group of fun people, with lots of outing and sharing session... Join us in the fun.

Regards,
tkp77.

well said! :D
that makes me a proud panasonic owner!

Just for your info, i just come back from Japan. Panasonic FX7 is selling like hot cakes in Japan, currently out of stock and have to wait for 2 weeks, according to the departmental store sales stuff. The size is very compact and handy camera.

2nd vote for FX7 :vhappy: :vhappy: for its compact size, cool design,
big screen, nice color sharp pics, OIS....etc.

Bad point : Very ridiculous short batt life. From my recent trip experience,
brought 4 batts along, avg used up 3.5 batts a day including snap
snap (with & without flash) and pics reviewing.

cookiez said:
2nd vote for FX7 :vhappy: :vhappy: for its compact size, cool design,
big screen, nice color sharp pics, OIS....etc.

Bad point : Very ridiculous short batt life. From my recent trip experience,
brought 4 batts along, avg used up 3.5 batts a day including snap
snap (with & without flash) and pics reviewing.

using AA batt or those meant for FX7 batt?
if using AA i think it's ok la...to last you a day

thanks for all the advice!

hmmm... i'm leaning more towards ixus 40 i think. a520 seems pretty good but my sis just stated that she'll only chip in to the cost if i get an ultra compact cam. lol

someone offered to sell me a brand new ixus 40 at $580. no freebies, just what comes in the box. is that considered cheap/good bargain?

btw, anyone knows if ixus 40's batt can last a whole day? =P

Status
Not open for further replies.