Canon or Nikon ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disconsolate

Nov 9, 2009
I'm not sure which DSLR to get Canon or Nikon or even Sony ?
And if So which specific models ,
I just need it to have good shutterspeed , Monochrome and the very standard function , is Canon 450 good?

I agree completely. Plenty of data you can search for.

My sig shows what I use but had I decided to by Nikon I'm 100% sure I'd have ended up just as happy with that as well. It's companies that are all making very similar products and constantly releasing new models with more/updated features.

You can do all the online research you want but I do suggest also going to a store and actually holding the camera in your hands. Do you like the feel of one more than the other, really comes down to the individual more than technical specs I think.

First 2 pages already so many similar questions..

Disconsolate said:
I just need it to have good shutterspeed , Monochrome and the very standard function , is Canon 450 good?

There are actually several HUNDRED digital SLRs that can satisfy your abovementioned requirements.

Just for your info, B&W photos can easily be created from colour photos using any photo manipulation software.
what do you mean by "good shutterspeed"
just about every digital SLR created has a shutterspeed range from "bulb" (essentially infinitely long) to 1/2000s or 1/4000s. Is that "good" enough for you?
In fact quite a number of compact cameras can achieve 30s - 1/2000s too, so that's really fantastic as well.

Q: I'm not sure which DSLR to get Canon or Nikon or even Sony ? And if So which specific models.
A: If even you are not sure, how would we know which brand you want?

Q: I just need it to have good shutterspeed , Monochrome and the very standard function.
A: I know all dSLR can give you that. Monochrome can be post-processed in the computer if your camera does not have it built in. Prosumers can do them too.

Q: Canon 450 good?
A: 450D? Yes, its good, and so is many other models.

Advice: you got to ask questions that are much more specific. vague questions return vague answers.

Go to the shop and try it yourself so that you can test and feel which one you want.

:thumbsup:

hmmm... i think he wants us to start a brand war...

CANON FTW!!

C IS WAY AHEAD OF N! ;p:bsmilie:

Last edited:
1. First, define your budget.
2. Once you have your budget, go to the shops and actually try the cameras within your budget. Don't listed to the salesman saying "this brand better hor" - He just wants the most commission. TRY THEM ALL. Make sure you know the pros and cons of each (articulating LCD, fast autofocus in liveview vs. slow autofocus).
3. When you've found 2-3 models that you like, read their reviews online.
4. If you're still unsure, THEN post here and ask for a bit more guidance.

hmmm... i think he wants us to start a brand war...

CANON FTW!!

C IS WAY AHEAD OF N! ;p:bsmilie:

:nono:

Every brand has its strength and weaknesses. It is thru recognising the weakness of your camera while maximising the strength of it, then can you do well in photography

Q: I'm not sure which DSLR to get Canon or Nikon or even Sony ? And if So which specific models.
A: If even you are not sure, how would we know which brand you want?

Q: I just need it to have good shutterspeed , Monochrome and the very standard function.
A: I know all dSLR can give you that. Monochrome can be post-processed in the computer if your camera does not have it built in. Prosumers can do them too.

Q: Canon 450 good?
A: 450D? Yes, its good, and so is many other models.

Advice: you got to ask questions that are much more specific. vague questions return vague answers.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Rubbish Question in Rubbish Ans out haha. I found it very funny once in a while or most time u will find peep comparing this model tat model this make that make before buying or even didnt even hands on to try.

TRY IT. Different people hv different taste and handling to me Sony, Canon, Nikon etc etc all are good make DSLR.

Hell even a PNS is good enough it up to you to try and feel.

Go and get a feel of each product..

To me Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony... etc, their product should be quite good already...

All have their own fan base... ;)

by the way, most of my friends are using Canon and Nikon... :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm not sure which DSLR to get Canon or Nikon or even Sony ?
And if So which specific models ,

Have you even bothered to look into any reviews? Spoonfull no1: www.dpreview.com
Define $good_shutterspeed
Hint: shutter speed depends on several factors (ambient light, lens aperture, ISO speed) but also on the subject (freezing motion, panning shot, long-term exposure). What is good for one situation is useless for another one. Read about the basics of photography for more details, there are sticky threads for newbies here. At your own time.
Define $very_standard_function
The most standard function is the shutter. It's the part of the camera that hasn't much changed since the beginning. Autofocus, zoom lenses, different metering functions and others were introduced later. And even today certain features are introduced into the high end models and become available in the consumer models after years (or sometimes never). Please make up your mind what you consider as standard. For face recognition you will be disappointed, the top of the line cameras don't have it.

hmmm. if not sure either Canon or Nikon or even Sony ...
u can try Pentax, Olympus, Samsung, Leica... :p

Not fogetting PhaseOne and Red. Might be a bit challenging for the wallet but we don't want to limit TS choices, do we? :)

Hasselblad... :lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.