Canon or nikon

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie82

May 27, 2009
Hi All,

I am very new here and new to DSLR. I am currently planning to buy a semi-SLR for my wedding and honeymoon. I understand from some saleman that the 2 brand canon and nikon is good. I not sure which brand and which semi-SLR to buy.

Please kindly advice how can i choose.

Hi All,

I am very new here and new to DSLR. I am currently planning to buy a semi-SLR for my wedding and honeymoon. I understand from some saleman that the 2 brand canon and nikon is good. I not sure which brand and which semi-SLR to buy.

TS - your question have been asked many times on the forum, there are canon fans and nikon fans in the forum who will support their brand. but the best is that you yourself go down to a shop and try out, the handling feel, the control feel of the few cameras and decide on which one.

As you are a total Newbie to SLR, try to go for one u like so that u will like using it. else it will be a white elephant to you sooner or later as you dont feel good using it. Ask around friends who use DSLR and if can ask if u can try your hand on them to see if u like the system of the brand of camera.

FYI
- Canon newest entry level SLR are 1000D, 500D (older model 450D)
- Nikon newest entry level SLR are D60, D5000, D90
- Olympus newest entry level SLR are E450, E520, E620
- Sony newest entry level SLR are A220, A330, A380 (this models are offical, but in shop now or not I not sure)

Hi Both,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I dun really have friend who is into photo taking. Does SLR have the function of taking video?

Hi Both,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I dun really have friend who is into photo taking. Does SLR have the function of taking video?

Nikon D90, Nikon D5000, Canon 500D, 5DMkII can take videos as well, if it is a consideration.

Ryan

Last edited:
Hi,

Canon 5DMkII do u mean Canon 500D? What should i take note when i am choosing the DSLR?

Hi,

Canon 5DMkII do u mean Canon 500D? What should i take note when i am choosing the DSLR?

No canon 500D and 5Dmk2 are 2 different camera the latter is a Pro body camera not a entry level

if video is what u will want, then the DSLR entry level camera to consider

Canon - 500D
Nikon - D5000, D90

As a newbie, i dont think there is anything u need to take note of when choosing a DSLR as I dont think u know what really u like or want in a DSLR. individual brand's DSLR have their own pros and cons, u never know if u can live with them or hate them until u use them.

as for DSLR video
canon - full 1080p HD video at 30fps
nikon - 720p HD video at 24fps

Last edited:
What should i take note when i am choosing the DSLR?

Try going thru this thread to see what u should consider on getting a DSLR

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245883

The cnet dslr buying guide is a good read as well

http://reviews.cnet.com/dslr-buying-guide/

After much reading, remember to get some hands on feel of the cameras at the shops before purchase

Ryan

Hi,

Thanks! ACtually after reading i am looking at Canon 500D and Nikon D5000.
can anyone advice me what to take note when selecting the cam?

As suggested, do a search on the forum. There is already a wealth of information on this topic.
There are many good DSLR brands. Nikon and Canon being the largest players in the market. The others are good as well, just less well known/promoted (Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic).

I suggest a google on DSLR as well to understand why you need a DSLR. If the intent is that the DSLR with the kit lens is going to take better pictures, it may end in disappointment. DSLR is more for the purpose of better controls of shutter speed, aperture and lens characteristics. I don't want to sound elitist (certainly am not), but very often the compact cam does provide the portability and ease of use for travelling.

dear TS,

what you have asked have been heavily contested in this forum for many times, it will always be Nikon vs Canon... lest you should not be stereo-typed and consider the emerging power of Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Pentex and many other brands.

first things first, what are your future plans on dSLR, possible upgrades or just stick to what is basic... what are your budgets as budgets means you get variations of dSLR-bodies and accessories among different brands, next... what are your needs in a dSLR, are you the kind going for all-rounder or you have a specific interest which you want to build around your dSLR. finally, do you really need a dSLR or just a prosumer or normal point-and-shoot is sufficient for your usage?

do take notices that going for honeymoon, a dSLR might be a hindrance due to its size and the lens might not be able to cover your desire range if you did not choose wisely, likewise, for your wedding, without decent flash system and lens, your wedding shots might not be great... anyway you will be the groom, in your wedding, you might not have the chance to hold a dSLR, might as well tapped onto your photographer or your friends' system ;p

PS: at the end, no matter what brand, what camera you are using, it is the skill and the user behind the camera, for me i've seen many great photographers and even amatuer users who captured great shots using low-end cameras.... photography is all about the right moment and skill, equipment-wise, it is a companion to pair-up with the right-moment and the skill of the user.

regards,
1 cent worth of thoughts

Hi,

I think i will stick to what its basic for the time beinging. I use to have a normal cam but it dun really work well for me. Tot of getting a SLR for myself to slowly pick up and will depend if will invest more in this hobby.
Think not only wedding, my main purpose is for travel and photo taking for concert. The flash in the SLR is not good enough?

1) Never trust a sales man and his recommendations. This is bound to be profit-oriented.
2) DSLR needs learning and it's not just getting a camera and some lens. Especially for occasions like wedding additional gear (flash, diffuser) is needed. Reason is that external flash gives much more possibilities to manage light than any onboard flash. Read about basics of flash photography, you'll see it clearly. Flash is more than just smacking some light into the faces of people.
Which in return will steepen the learning curve for you. Please consider this carefully. Do you want to spend your time before wedding with reading and learning and cursing technology you don't understand (yet)? Do you think a honeymoon will turn out great when you are more busy managing the various functions of a newly acquired camera? Take plenty of time into your considerations.
3) DSLR is a still camera. All functions and the layout is focused on this purpose. Video function just came in in the last months. Which also means: it's an add-on, not the sole purpose. Treat it as such, expect results in that way. If you want to capture mainly video then you better consider a dedicated video camera.
4) All entry level cameras can deliver decent pictures. Just because everybody knows Canon and Nikon doesn't mean the other manufacturers deliver substandard cameras. But as mentioned earlier: DSLR expects you to know more and to apply more knowledge when taking pictures. If you are not into this then better get a prosumer or PnS camera. Saves time and frustrations.

Hi Octarine,

Thanks for your advice. Actually there is still some time to my wedding that why i tot of getting a SLR now so that i can have thing to learn more about it before i start using.

Hi Octarine,

Thanks for your advice. Actually there is still some time to my wedding that why i tot of getting a SLR now so that i can have thing to learn more about it before i start using.

Well, maybe its a good opportunity to hasten the learning curve with the 'pressure' of the upcoming wedding.

Read up more, go the the subforums for the various brands, start with a simple DSLR kit, and see how it goes from there then. Good Luck! :)

In fact this question shouldn't be asked in the first place as different people prefer different brands due to factors such as features, aesthetics, etc. The best is to go try out yourself and see which suits u best. U just can't ask others to help u decide on what u should get.

Why are you buying a camera for "your" wedding? You are suppose to get a skilled photographer. Wedding photos are very very important.

For honeymoon, get something simplier to operate. You are there for honeymoon, not photo session.;)

Hi All,

Why are you buying a camera for "your" wedding? You are suppose to get a skilled photographer. Wedding photos are very very important.

For honeymoon, get something simplier to operate. You are there for honeymoon, not photo session.;)

Yes, same sentiments here.

Also do note that Video AF does not work in D90 and D5000.

For 500D, there will be some motor noise during Video AF.

So you must not have a culture shock on these since you are coming from PNS...

Since u r still undecided @ the moment btw the brand n model to buy.. then dun buy 1st !

Maybe rent instead ! To familiarize & decide whether DSLR is for u.
Cut cost during this kind of economy

Believe u alrdy have enough decision making & moolah spending worries for wedding & honeymoon, why burden urslf more by buying a DSLR now & going thru a steep learning curve
To be a GOOD wedding photographer, u definitely need many moons of shooting exp & good camera gears, not just the DSLR body & kit lens only
Dun end up u got no respectable pictures for ur big day
Ur other half will sure nag u to no end :bsmilie:

Hi All,

just to ask, how many are you willing to spend on a DSLR System?

Status
Not open for further replies.