Canon or Nikon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuffy

May 16, 2007
Hi!

Was considering to buy either canon 400D or an equivalent nikon slr so any comments ?
Thanks.

You can't really go wrong with either brands.

Just go and try out the cameras from each brand and see which one you like.

First comment is to be careful of using a title like "Canon or Nikon", for some strange reason, some people love their brands so much that they want to fight about it :)
Anyway, I think that any camera is good, both are good.
I agree with Hobbesyeo, trying them out will be a good way, that way you have your first-hand opinion on them and get the one you like, not the one that others like based on their opinion - you are the one who will be using it after all :)

Goodluck! :D

You can't really go wrong with either brands.

Just go and try out the cameras from each brand and see which one you like.

True. Put both brand C and brand N in your hands and have a feel. See which is more comfortable. They both have good arsenal of lens as well. And if your friends complain about noise, then noise ninja is your friend :)

Goodluck!!

For me.... both is good. Just that most of my friends own a Canon, figure that it would be 'cheaper' to borrow and lent stuff to each other. So, I brought a EOS 400D. But I heard that the D40X is really good too.....

since you're looking at the 400d , your next best bet for nikon counterpart is the d40x.

both dslrs do not have the lcd panel on the top , just the view screen . the d40x is user friendly, it even can be said as a Point and SHoot camera in my opinion. really for newcomers.

i am using nikon but well.. actually i support fujifilm more lolz .. (dont flame me ok?? ;p )

since you're looking at the 400d , your next best bet for nikon counterpart is the d40x.

both dslrs do not have the lcd panel on the top , just the view screen . the d40x is user friendly, it even can be said as a Point and SHoot camera in my opinion. really for newcomers.

i am using nikon but well.. actually i support fujifilm more lolz .. (dont flame me ok?? ;p )

No flaming... :)

Good you use Nikon.... then you can use fujifilm DSLRs later on.

This question has been debated for several years and I do not think there will be a right or wrong answer cause opinions change depending on who you talk to. Another consideration would be the technology by both brands during the time that you start comparing them.

In any case, looking at your choice of of camera Canon EOS 400, I would personally suggest getting the Nikon D80 instead which has a better lens and better feel. It is slightly more expensive but you will save in the long run because Nikon lens are usually more cheaper than its Canon alternatives. Note that this is more of a personal opinion as I was in the same boat as you when I was deciding on a DSLR. Its still up to you to do the research. I also suggest really going down to the store and trying out both cameras for yourself before you decide. Happy shooting!

i know it sound stupid.. but ive got 2 type of friends.

1 of them buys the dslr based on most popular. why ? most of his friends using the same camera. easy for him to borrow or rent the lens from each other .

the other goes for performance.

Threadstarter,

at the end of the day, the equipment is nothing . Its your skills you develop during the course of snapping away. THe techniques you develop and learn that makes the picture speaks the thousand words. Not the equipment.

I have personally witnessed how a young boy taking a shot using a PnS camera and a professional photographer snapping away with a very high end camera but clearly, the young boy;s picture got more praises to the judges and was shocked when they found out it was taken from someone so young .

You can have the best of the best but ultimately, its you whose drawing the line between a nice shot and a normal shot

i know it sound stupid.. but ive got 2 type of friends.

1 of them buys the dslr based on most popular. why ? most of his friends using the same camera. easy for him to borrow or rent the lens from each other .

the other goes for performance.

Threadstarter,

at the end of the day, the equipment is nothing . Its your skills you develop during the course of snapping away. THe techniques you develop and learn that makes the picture speaks the thousand words. Not the equipment.

I have personally witnessed how a young boy taking a shot using a PnS camera and a professional photographer snapping away with a very high end camera but clearly, the young boy;s picture got more praises to the judges and was shocked when they found out it was taken from someone so young .

You can have the best of the best but ultimately, its you whose drawing the line between a nice shot and a normal shot

excellent advice :) watever the camera, its the person behind it that matters the most!

Anyway, for myself, i love nikon and happen that my fren also feels the same way, so we do share our equipment from time to time. on the other hand, if you pick up a camera and dont really like it, then i would say, go pick another one. no need to follow fren! my other fren also purchase a 20D. although he pays more cos he has no one to share equipment, but he loves his own cam :)

Hahaha.... it seems after all the Suggestion we have given, the TS now must be more BLUR then before. ;p ;p

I was in a similar dilemma a few months back when I was looking for a DSLR. Narrowed down my search to either a D80, 30D or E500 after reading through countless reviews, asking around, etc. Finally, went to a shop, got all 3 lines up to compare side-by-side, tested, held, push, prodded, twisted, etc. before I decided.

I would suggest going and test the cameras out yourself. Reading and asking about it is one thing, touching the actual stuff is something else.

Canon or Nikon? Well, I'd say Olympus E-410 or E-510. Why? Feel the bodies, read the specs, don't listen to anybody else but your own mind and brains.

I was in a similar dilemma last year, Canon 350D or Nikon D70. Choise fell on D70. The day I was pacing my order I was reading a computer magazine and there was and ad for the Olympus E-500, a camera I never heard of. I read the ad, visited the Olympus web to read the specs, googled about an hour and vent to sleep. Next day I placed my order and my D70 bacame an E-500. No regrets since then. What would I choose today?

Canon 400D? No. Why not? No spot metering, no SSWF, lenses are too expensive and heavy, camera is too basic and simple.

Nikon D40x? No. Why not? Very few lenses and all very expensive and heavy, no SSWF, camera is too basic and simple.

Olympus E-510? Yes. Why? Here is a list.

- SSWF (you'll need it, DUST IS A PROBLEM, WHATEVER PEOPLE SAY!) otherwise plan for a cleaning visit at some camera shop once a year at least, or learn to do it by yourself. Whichever it is it is not for free and carries some risks.
- Kit lenses are better than the other two cameras.
- Using a cheap adapter, you can put on ANY lens except Canon) made for 35mm film manual focus cameras with very good results, results depend on lens quality. This opens a whole world of cheap high quality lenses if you are ready to focus manually.
- Live view helps you focusing on the LCD screen with a 10x magnification of the focus point if you want to magnify the point.
- Build quality was better with the E-500 than the 350D and the D70, and as far as I know that is still the case between the D40x, 400D and the E-510, E-510 is still better.
- Same for the kit lenses, built quality is better.
- No more problem with noise (not that I know of any problems with the E-500 when the camera is handled correct), ISO 1600 gives very nice images with the E-510.
- Image Stabilizer built in the body. Some say you don't need that, there is always tripod. That is true but it is definitely good to have. The best is, it works with all the existing E-system and those cheapo old film lenses. It is not a replacement of a tripod but a very good complement. It is built in the body, so no expensive lens needed.

Anyway, that would be my choise. What yours is, is your business, I would say go and get any camera, but once you have it, learn to use that one by heart. In the end all are very good and all have their pros and cons.

Canon or Nikon? Well, I'd say Olympus E-410 or E-510. Why? Feel the bodies, read the specs, don't listen to anybody else but your own mind and brains.

Dude, stop trying to sell Olympus. He was asking for C or N. Stop being such a fanboy. Otherwise people will start bringing in the K10D into the discussion, which is much better value for money than Olympus.

I foresee this is going to be a flame thread.....:D

Dude, stop trying to sell Olympus. He was asking for C or N. Stop being such a fanboy. Otherwise people will start bringing in the K10D into the discussion, which is much better value for money than Olympus.
Well, dude, maybe TS never heard of anything else than C & N, just like me when I wanted a dSLR. C & N are making a lot of noise on the market. I am no fanboy (you mean fun boy or my bad English?), I welcome K10D or whatever if it is in the same range.

I say, widen your horison, think outside the box. Read my last sentences, which you obviously didn't, instead of start "dude":ing so quick. I am not trying to sell anything but there are definitely more than two brands, which a newbie my not be aware of, or may not think about. Personally, I had Olympus since about 1980 and still, when I was getting my dSLR, I was only thinking about C & N, just like TS. You are so very wrong, I am not trying to sell anything and not a "fun boy" (I guess you misspelled), I was in the same clothes, believe it or not, I was telling a true story. No fun to be a starter in dSLR, a lot of things you have to think about because one thing is sure, regardless what you start with, it is very expensive in the end, so making a choise is about thinking a long way ahead. Not just C & N because in the end, it is not C & N that is taking the picture, but the one holding the camera. So, unless a person is loaded with money, it is iportant even to think about the next step.

BTW, talking about next step, I think I will be able to use ALL my lenses for about as long as Olympus will make dSLR cameras and I will have one. How long do you think a 400D or a D40x user can use his or her lenses? Until next model is presented in a few months time? I think actually what body one starts with is less important than what lens option he/she has. Both C & N have some nice glasses, but for how much? So, if a person is not willing to start all over again, a long term thinking is more important than C & N.

You like it or not, that is your business. I just talk about my views. If TS is disagreeing or don't want to hear about other options, I suggest TS complains. I guess he/she is mature enough to do that.

I foresee this is going to be a flame thread.....:D
No, not if I can help it, I am not the one flaming and cannot help if some people are just thinking more about brand than photography. I guess everybody should have the right to have a different opinion, but maybe for some ppl that is difficult to accept.

:cheers:

BTW, if fighting and flaming is what you are here for you might as well leave. Photography is fun, discussions and disagreements about photography is also fun. I sense flames and I leave, no more comments. What I wanted to say is said already. I don't really care about brand as long as I get what I want from it. If somebody say Nikon is better, well that is fine with me. I doubt the person know every brand and every camera, so actually, what others think is not very important when you are selecting a camera. It is a choise you and only you can make. If that is wrong, well, that is your fault only. Asking others always results in difference of opinion, some are based on facts, some only hearsayings. Everybodies opinion is biased, reading reviews IMO, is a waste of time because the reviewers never have time to actually learn the camera they review or look at all the options a user must look at.

Both brands are equally ok and will produce great shots like most pp said, it only depends on how they feel in your hand. Also, it matters if you have any existing lenses that you want to reuse on the new body.

Status
Not open for further replies.