Canon or Nikon?

Jianzhong Goh

Jun 4, 2015
i have a budget of 1.2k. I have no idea which camera should I get for my exchange which I would mainly capture scenary photos. Kindly advice. Thanks!! :heart::heart:

Go to Nikon showroom at Church street, test out the cameras and lenses. Go to Canon showroom and test out the cameras and lenses.

Find something you like.

No one can tell you what is best. For scenery or landscape pictures, requirements are quite low actually.

buy whatever brand most of your friends using
then can share share gear mah

thank you for the advises!

thank you for the advises!

any brands of entry level DSLR or Mirrorless cameras can do what you want,
some people like vegetable (Nikon) but others may like toufu (Canon)
it is all about personal preference, no point asking people what camera you SHOULD choose, the first thing you must like the camera, so just go to showrooms to have a feel of the cameras, than you can make a sound decision on your own.

i have a budget of 1.2k. I have no idea which camera should I get for my exchange which I would mainly capture scenary photos. Kindly advice. Thanks!! :heart::heart:

Actually any brands of camera can do what you want. But I would recommend smaller point and shoot like the Sony RX100III, Panasonic LX100 or Canon G7X. These are small, with good focus range and excellent image quality.

Actually any brands of camera can do what you want. But I would recommend smaller point and shoot like the Sony RX100III, Panasonic LX100 or Canon G7X. These are small, with good focus range and excellent image quality.[/QUOTE

With the budget you will be likely look at a crop sensor camera.
Since it is for exchange ... I guess you might be traveling around abit.
You probably should consider a lighter set up (try out some cameras in the various show rooms for a feel) and a maybe a more versatile normal zoom lens .. with perhaps a slightly wider at the wide angle end (maybe a 17-50 lens? 16 85 lens?)

for landscape -- assuming you have good light or using tripod and using low iso ... smaller point and shoot like those suggested by Rhino123 would do pretty well.

If you want a interchangeable lens system that is light and cheap, can consider olympus EM10. PC show having promotion giving free 45mm lens for every purchase.. you probably can get it at a price cheaper then listed from TK photo or SLR Revo and still enjoy the promotion. Have used the Olympus EM-10 for a Turkey trip last year. Find it pretty sufficient if you want to travel light.

Last edited:
No love for pentax?
Digital pentax have some of the best specs(imo) for entry/mid level dslr. Thanks to weathersealing(extremely important imo), full compatibility with vintage lenses(nikon's d3300 and d5500 in same price range as K50 and KS2 doesnt meter with vintage lenses). Not to mention full coverage viewfinder.
Although thats just looking at specs and reviews.

*From someone whos aiming for film/digital hybrid system on pentax

No love for pentax? Digital pentax have some of the best specs(imo) for entry/mid level dslr. Thanks to weathersealing(extremely important imo), full compatibility with vintage lenses(nikon's d3300 and d5500 in same price range as K50 and KS2 doesnt meter with vintage lenses). Not to mention full coverage viewfinder. Although thats just looking at specs and reviews. *From someone whos aiming for film/digital hybrid system on pentax

Agree. A Pentax k30/k50 with a sigma 10-20 is very worth considering the price when compared to others. The dynamic range makes Pentax cameras great landscape cameras too. Should consider them too when making your decision.

Agree. A Pentax k30/k50 with a sigma 10-20 is very worth considering the price when compared to others. The dynamic range makes Pentax cameras great landscape cameras too. Should consider them too when making your decision.

I'm really impressed with the new KS2 after handling one at the recent outing.
Its almost all that there is for a serious enthusiast camera at the price point of a entry one.

I'd get one to replace my K30 if I were not waiting for the FF coming in Nov.

Last edited:
Wa moderator leak news? I thought pentax only announced end of 2015 nvr say which month?!

Wa moderator leak news? I thought pentax only announced end of 2015 nvr say which month?!

I got no inside info, its all per their official announcements thats its at the end of the year, and traditionally, they announce new cameras in Oct and available by Nov.

Anyway, lets keep on topic for the TS.

TS, lots of camera brands out there which are very good for the price.
Some offer a bit more feature that others, others have a few things/options cheaper, etc.
But generally speaking can't really go wrong with any brand/camera type.

Pretty much most cameras nowadays will offer a great feature set and quality so get a camera that handles well. I place a big emphasis on how a camera handles from the point of ergonomics, how the buttons and switches fall in place, how easy to navigate the camera menu and controls. Taking photos is a creative exercise, the less time you spend thinking how to use the camera controls, the better your pictures will be.

Aite.
We're well past the point of sufficiency. Any will do as long as it falls into your budget and FEELS RIGHT IN HAND

I still remember when I wanted to pick up photography and was choosing my first entry level camera and posted here too. Now I should share with u. I actually chose Canon as it was more "popular" or some says strong marketing. Well, until now which is probably 6 years? Iam still sticking to Canon. And with more knowledge now, I would say both brands has their own pros and cons. But the most important is to practice and keep learning. Given the choice of your photography which is landscapes, I would say Nikon sensors has better edge over Canon. But again power without control is nothing.

Last edited:
Your requirements don't seem too demanding. Spend less on the gear.

Use the balance to travel -- it's amazing how inspiring a new location can be ;)

Consider buying a smaller and lighter camera. Mirrorless are very good nowadays. It makes the entire trip more pleasant and enjoyable :)