CANON or NIKON DSLR (Budget - $1600)

Status
Not open for further replies.

simplyrichard

Oct 15, 2006
Hi everyone,

After the Photomarathon 2006, I have fallen in love with photography. I'm planning to get a DSLR but have problem choosing one. I hope friends here can advise me on which brands/models and which shop can i get a good deal. :D

Budget: $1600 (kit)

Thanks in advance!

both brand will give you the same result....

Go try both and decide from there...

try try try try and more try. u will still get the same reply. budget -> try -> feel -> buy (if necessary)

See which one u like more then buy. ;)

Canon has a winning formulae in that its images is customised to look good in many situations. Its generally a soft, lower contrast image which makes it suitable for weddings or food photography. Colour rendition is very natural and pleasing. This is the winning point. Note that the EOS CANON mount can take lenses from Leica, Contax and Nikon with an adaptor.

Nikon has slightly higher contrast and sharpness. This is mainly attributed to the fact that Nikon lenses are generally sharper. This is good if you want to make edgy images. However Nikons colour rendition tend to be slightly gawky and gaudy which makes images taken in certain conditions less desirable. Some comment that noise wise, Nikon has managed to make it monochomatic which looks more like film noise and thus more pleasing and natural

In my opinion, Canon has the better CCD sensor while Nikon has better lenses. I chose to use the better sensor and use even better lenses like Arsat, Leica, Zeiss.

See sample images on the web and make some observations :)

My 2 cents. Consider Pentax, Sony and Olympus too for their innovative in-body IS (Image Stabilisation) and sensor cleaning. I've briefly used Canon and now permanently on Konica Minolta 5D (taken over by Sony) and I must say i like the KM5D so far especially cos of its in-body IS. Canon and Nikon has IS in the lens, which tends to increase the lens price drastically.

For sub $1600, Pentax, Sony and Olympus have quite good packages too. My thoughts only.

In my opinion, Canon has the better CCD sensor while Nikon has better lenses. I chose to use the better sensor and use even better lenses like Arsat, Leica, Zeiss.

I don't think this statement is true. Having used both systems, I find that both Nikon and Canon will give you the same results. It really depends on the person behind the camera.

If you're looking at a $1600 budget, you won't be able to fix branded lenses to your camera body. Why not look at a kit with a good lens from either manufacturer?

If I were you, and had to start all over again with a basic kit, I'd buy second-hand, regardless or which brand or model I go for. Assuming you buy from a reputable and trusted seller at the forums here at the B&S, and know what to look out for, you'll be pretty safe. Like all electronics, people are constantly moving and upgrading, which often means they're dumping their previous DSLRs at good prices.

If you're not confident dealing second hand, then consider looking for brand new ones, but go for models that are one generation old. In all likelihood, the features will still more than meet your needs but they'll be priced very nicely. Things like the Canon 350D, 20D, Nikon D50, D70 and D70s are all capable cameras. There's plenty of other brands you can consider as well.

Like most things there is no 'best' camera. There's only the 'best' camera for each individual user. Things are so subjective, so it would be wise to read widely before you buy. Nobody will be able to give you a full comparison between brands, and only you can decide for yourself, based on your own priorities. Get reviews from reputable sources, for example:

www.dpreview.com
www.dcresource.com

Read everything from start to finish, unless you're in a rush, in which case you may want to just stick to Photographic Tests and jump straight to the conclusion at DPReview. Buy carefully because when you buy an SLR, you're buying into an entire system. Ensure that the company makes the lenses that you forsee you may use, or at least see if the company produces an extensive range to suit all budgets.

I went straight for the Canon 350D based on the clean images throughout the whole ISO range (relative to other cameras), and the size of the camera. To me, silky smooth images are a priority. BUT, do note that one photography magazine I read said that the 350D's noise above ISO 800 was completely unacceptable, and they preferred the more film-grain type pattern in the Nikon D50. It shows how subjective things are. In fact, after working with a degree of noise in some of my images (while using ISO 800 film) my tolerance for it has increased over time, and to me, a noise/ grain doesn't necessarily destroy an image. And assuming you get everything else right [composition, subject, lighting, correct moment], noise is hardly an issue to think about.

END RANT HERE :bsmilie:

Amongst other things, up for your pocket :thumbsup:

at your price? Canon it will be.
Unless you want the older Nikon D70s.

At $1600 with kit lens you mean?

2nd hand d50 + tamron 17-50. :thumbsup: a very very good starter kit

Nothing wrong with the older models like D70s or D50 what...
It's basically a matter of preference of which to use. I got Nikon because I had Nikon SLR earlier, and as my friends were using Nikon too. That way we could share lens on the same outings and they had more lenses than me...;) If you ask me, i like Nikon as I am used to it. For instance, I didn't even know that Shutter-priority on Canon model is depicted by Tv symbol. On Nikon, its just S....;)

So for TS, its a matter of trying out the different systems to see which ones you like to use; do research and read up on the web to increase your knowledge first; go for a basic photography course to learn the foundations; disucss with your usual khakis what they are using.

Whichever camera/system you choose, you will still get good photos!

Someone is selling a KM 5D with 2 lenes for only $1.2K in the B&S. Worth considering. With the extra $ you can get a flash.

I think buying 2nd hand camera is really a better choice than getting 1st hand. Can spend more on lenses or accessories.

eg. Some neccesary items such as dry box, filters and memory cards.

I think buying 2nd hand camera is really a better choice than getting 1st hand. Can spend more on lenses or accessories.

eg. Some neccesary items such as dry box, filters and memory cards.

That's right. And a good point too which we might have forgotten to mention...accessories...tripods, remote release, and all that jazz. That's why buying into a DSLR is such expensive business.

I'm so glad for the trip I made to Funan with a friend on Saturday. It made me realize again how obscenely expensive photography is. I mean, a decent and sturdy tripod costs around $250. Well, a 300GB external hard disk costs perhaps even less than that.

300GB! :eek: Which brings me to the next 'accessory'. Ensure you have sufficient storage to backup all your info at all times, and of course all your precious pictures. Detailed photos means bigger JPEGs, RAWs and things like that.

Hmm i din noe canon uses CCD sensor. I thought they are famous for using CMOS sensor? Sorry if i sound stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.