CANON, NIKON OR SONY

justsochubby

Dec 15, 2011
Simei estate
Hi to all, I really want to get the right DSLR. I know nothing about cameras but I am interested to pick up photography. I have saved up for quite long and my budget is 1k.
1: taking photographs of food.
2: Everyday Street life and Macro
3: Natural portraits
In these aspects , may I ask which could potentially be a more suitable camera? The Nikon D5100 or Cannon 550D/600D or Sony product.

Currently I am interest in the Canon promotion which give you an option to purchase a portrait prime lense. I would like to seek all your advices. Thanks to all for being so patience with me.

Merry Christmas in advance

have you read the sticky in this forums yet? http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbies-corner/787393-faq-dslr-camera-buy.html

in the meantime, you can also google up for reviews on these cameras n do comparisons based on these reviews. u can also try these cameras out at stores to feel which feels right in ur hands.

IMHO, all 3 brands will do fine. it's all up to ur individual preferences.

Do note there are quite a number of brands apart from the big 3 you mentioned...like Olympus, Penta, Leica... etc..

And there are many capable cameras other than DSLR which produces excellent image quality... mirroless, SLT, medium format... etc...

Last edited:
I'd suggest TS to go to Harvey Norman/ Best/ Courts where they have the above-mentioned DSLRs on display.
Take and feel the cameras before you decide which one is for suitable for you (ergonomics/ design/ feel).

Don't worry about the limitation of the camera of any brand, all brands have enough lenses to suit from landscape-portrait-street-food-anything. Just go to the shops and feel for yourself.

The one that feels the most "natural" in your hand is very likely the one that you will be picking..

As a starter your budget is probably a deciding factor. So look out for Christmas promotions. Build on what your have meaning it should also allow some future expansion should your interests grow. Or not grow. Having said that, a higher priced equipment is generally better in terms of quality and features. That I can't say it doesn't.

Open up your options and you may get a better deal.
The Pentax Kr for example is only about $600 body only.
As featured packed as the models you mentioned above and arguably even more so (ie. 3-frame HDR; in-built shake reduction; in built focus motor)

Hi to all, I really want to get the right DSLR. I know nothing about cameras but I am interested to pick up photography. I have saved up for quite long and my budget is 1k.
1: taking photographs of food.
2: Everyday Street life and Macro
3: Natural portraits
In these aspects , may I ask which could potentially be a more suitable camera? The Nikon D5100 or Cannon 550D/600D or Sony product.

Currently I am interest in the Canon promotion which give you an option to purchase a portrait prime lense. I would like to seek all your advices. Thanks to all for being so patience with me.

Merry Christmas in advance

Read the sticky. Shortlist the cameras that fit your budget, check which features you really like/don't need, then , most importantly, TRY the cameras. ALL of them can do macro/portraits/street. Even a point an shoot can do those. All DSLR brands have good lenses for those purposes.

What you mainly need to ask is...

1. Do you need built-in antishake?
2. Do you need a built-in AF motor for older lenses, or do you only plan on buying newer lenses?
3. Do you need fast autofocus in live view?
4. Do you need fast autofocus in video? Heck, do you even need video?
5. Do you need a tilting screen?
6. Do you need to have an OVF or are you also ok with EVF?
7. Do you really need a DSLR? What about mirrorless?