canon more vivid then nikon ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's the in-cam processing. IMHO, if comparing pictures straight out from the cam, Canon pictures look slightly more vivid.

The auto-WB on canon seems more "accurate" than my Nikon too. But after all, we have different tastes, and these settings can be tweaked.

huggable said:
I think it's the in-cam processing. IMHO, if comparing pictures straight out from the cam, Canon pictures look slightly more vivid.

The auto-WB on canon seems more "accurate" than my Nikon too. But after all, we have different tastes, and these settings can be tweaked.

likely to be the Digic II processor

huggable said:

Unfortunately, that statement is too general and incorrect. Even though I am a Canon shooter, Nikon AWB is far more acurate, especially under 'warm' lighting then Canon.

The in camera processing is the key here, you need to set all settings (for jpeg), i.e. sharpness, contrast, saturation, WB custom, etc to 0 on different cams and then compare, otherwise you're comparing apples with helicopters. Even then the results of the comparison aren't significant once the images enter PS with different colour space setings, etc, etc.

You can make the colours/contrast however you like it in PS, doesn't matter what you use.

sorry i didnt post this to ignite a war of words between the canon n nikon users .. this is just my personal opinion ... sorry abt that .

Anyway i m still considering between a d70s n 350d .

Just wanna know if both cams when set to the default setting (no fine tuning etc) take same shots ... which one color more vivid .

yes true got photoshop to help but just curious .. if its gonna cause a war of words pls delete this and my humble apologies .

cyber_m0nkey said:
Unfortunately, that statement is too general and incorrect. Even though I am a Canon shooter, Nikon AWB is far more acurate, especially under 'warm' lighting then Canon.

The in camera processing is the key here, you need to set all settings (for jpeg), i.e. sharpness, contrast, saturation, WB custom, etc to 0 on different cams and then compare, otherwise you're comparing apples with helicopters. Even then the results of the comparison aren't significant once the images enter PS with different colour space setings, etc, etc.

I beg to differ. I'm not having any brand preference :nono: - just my experience shooting with both the D70s and the 350D at various lighting conditions during events, both indoor and outdoor and stage lighting. Is it just me or is it that the Nikon's colours are slightly harder to control? They tend to swing from too warm to too cool and AWB does not yield as consistent results as the 350D's. Moreover, it is indeed harder to achieve an more accurate colour rendition of the situation. This is only said based on shooting experience.

Just to note that a nikon user who went to play with my 350D also made the same observations about Nikon's WB. However, there are other advantages that make the D70s a very competitve model in the market:)

flightspeed said:
thks for the tip .. i think my 5700 has raw(need to confirm) i'll try n see . thanks :)
Confirm have.

ExplorerZ said:
erm...:think: nikon whitebalance harder to fiddle with? from what i know looking at setting WB for IR photography, it seems that canon need more steps to set manual whitebalance. :dunno: not very sure for predefined WB, but i find it very easily as well. Just have to press down a button and turn the dial

WB is more than just for IR photography. What I meant by harder to fiddle with is that the Nikon WB is harder to manipulate to achieve accurate colours.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.