Canon Mirrorless

Octarine

Staff member
Jan 3, 2008
Pasir Ris
Many commentators including well known ones saying “no real pro will shoot with just one slot. No way!”
This approach is not bad, but it was developed at a time when memory cards were much less reliable. Years ago there were many discussions about problems with memory cards here in the forum and elsewhere in Internet. Nothing much left these days.

lonewolf75

May 28, 2018
No ibis is the worst! Looks like sony still leading.

Jul 14, 2008
There are a few new function but none of them mention it

Ah Keong

Dec 3, 2014
North
Think this would make people aiming for 6D mark II a headache.... :p

Oct 5, 2012
Singapore
Many commentators including well known ones saying “no real pro will shoot with just one slot. No way!”
I agree with what Octarine said.
In my own experience dealing with corrupted files, the cause today usually lies with the users themselves. Incessantly removing and inserting cards is a leading cause for corruption. And there is a serious lack of education among photographers about basics of flash storage.

- How much do you trust the card reader parts? It is funny people make a big deal out of redundancy, but never think about what they are plugging their cards into with their supposed smart redundancy plans.

- How much do you trust the firmware on the card reader?

- All cards actually have a teeny tiny processor with its own little firmware managing the data. As long as the card is in a camera, it is managing data with the camera's firmware. Then we plug it in a reader with different firmware and a different way of interacting with that data.... I have personally seen data get lost and the desktop OS raise filesystem errors when this happens.

- I don't know of a camera is saving high-res video to 2 cards simultaneously. And that already reflects a failure of the 2-card redundancy proposal. It can't protect the asset that is most expensive to replace.

- Do you notice that all the non-techies routinely save and delete full-length dramas, anime episodes, movies and apps to a phone's SD card and never experience data loss? They do the right thing - leave the card where it is supposed to be forever and don' t fiddle with it.

As general rules: leave the card in the camera unless running out of storage. Use USB to copy data out. Format regularly. Replace cards after a few years.

CamInit

Nov 3, 2009
Personally, I feel this is the real successor to the 6D. The 6D Mk2 feels like 2 steps forward and 1 step back. Original complains with 6D Mk2 centers around the clustered AF points, lack of updated DR and 4K, which the EOS R mostly addressed. The EF adapter with filter option is sweet especially dealing with lens like the TS-E 17, 11-24, 8-15, etc. One adapter to rule all the CPL and ND filters (no GND, unfortunately). At launch, the 6D sets a record for low light at -3eV and the EOS R furthers it to -6eV. Will consider getting after pricing release with formal and user reviews.

Not sure about the fuss with 2 SD card slots. It's as if all cameras with 1 slot suddenly cannot be used or becomes totally unreliable. I've 300K+ shots on my 6D and thankfully, so far so good. Maybe the pros need it but that doesn't seem to be the target market for the EOS R, maybe Canon's next FF mirrorless release will address that.

CamInit

Nov 3, 2009
Single SD card slot, no IBIS, no eye detect wor.
Got eye detect, but only in AF-S mode, not in AF-C. Canon calls it pupil detect. There's some rumors of Canon including it in AF-C by firmware down the road but going by Canon's history, I'm not too optimistic about that.

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
Got eye detect, but only in AF-S mode, not in AF-C. Canon calls it pupil detect. There's some rumors of Canon including it in AF-C by firmware down the road but going by Canon's history, I'm not too optimistic about that.
That was the rumour before the launch. Anyway, with AF-C, it is down to 5 fps. Eye/pupil detect most useful when subject is on the move... and so is a high fps.

jeff7id

Oct 15, 2008
Single SD card slot, no IBIS, no eye detect wor.
Not sure about the fuss with 2 SD card slots. It's as if all cameras with 1 slot suddenly cannot be used or becomes totally unreliable. I've 300K+ shots on my 6D and thankfully, so far so good. Maybe the pros need it but that doesn't seem to be the target market for the EOS R, maybe Canon's next FF mirrorless release will address that.
If the Internet Bloggers say that the cameras with single card slot are not for Pros, then those A7, A7 II, A7r, A7r II, A7s, A7s II are also not for Pros.

These FF mirrorless also has single SD (UHS-I) card slot:
1. A7, A7 II (UHS-I)
2. A7r, A7r II (UHS-I)
3. A7s, A7s II (UHS-I)
The "S" camera has been using single SD (UHS-1) for 4 years since their mark I.

A7r III and A7 III have dual card slots. But A7r III just announced in end of 2017 and A7 III announced in early of 2018.

Jan 4, 2010
Will probably look into this when Mark II or even Mark III comes out. At this point, i am sticking with my 5D4. Also no more investing in lens and accessories, as i don't want to be selling them 2 - 3 years down the line.....

jeff7id

Oct 15, 2008
Will probably look into this when Mark II or even Mark III comes out. At this point, i am sticking with my 5D4. Also no more investing in lens and accessories, as i don't want to be selling them 2 - 3 years down the line.....
Why you are not ready for change ?

Jan 4, 2010
Nope. It is just that i don't buy 1st gen. I am actually looking to change my EOS M3 but will now hold on to it a bit longer....

Top Bottom