canon lenses for investment???

Status
Not open for further replies.

weeteck

Feb 13, 2004
hi has any one made money by buying, using and then selling canon lenses [ although i knopw that that is not the intention]?? i have managed to do so with leica lenses because leica keeps on raising the prices of new lenses by 6 % annually so that my second hand lenses also eventually appreciate in value

It should be possible. Assuming you're lucky enough to snipe good deals second-hand, and sell them off at a profit/ trade for other lenses with top up, I'm sure there's money to be made. Canon may update lenses along the way, so buying a lens as an investment per se is probably not the best idea, unless you're dealing with very rare and exceptional specimens, or camera bodies. Nowadays photography is so ubiquitous, I hardly think it's worth collecting lenses or cameras, in the same way a hobbyist collects coins or stamps.

The only lens that has ever appreciated in value in my collection is my EF 50 mm 1.8 Mark 1 (not Mark II) which I paid $90 brand new in 1992 after Mark II was released. I think it should be able to fetch about $200.

In real terms I think you're just getting your money back, not making a profit - this is still quite good for an inexpensive lens...

Russ said:
The only lens that has ever appreciated in value in my collection is my EF 50 mm 1.8 Mark 1 (not Mark II) which I paid $90 brand new in 1992 after Mark II was released. I think it should be able to fetch about $200.

weeteck said:
hi has any one made money by buying, using and then selling canon lenses [ although i knopw that that is not the intention]?? i have managed to do so with leica lenses because leica keeps on raising the prices of new lenses by 6 % annually so that my second hand lenses also eventually appreciate in value

depends on whether u treat it as actual profits. looking at the prices in terms of replacement value, you dun really gain.

if u want investments, consider buying the shares :)

mpenza said:
if u want investments, consider buying the shares :)

That's what I do to partially fund my hobbies. Best thing is that you don't need thousands of dollars to get started. For some shares, it's possible to own a thousand shares (or one lot) and it'll still cost less than a 70-200mm f/4L. ;)

Risky but fun business. And my comment stops there.

Possible.Especially with L-lenses.The 70-200mmf4/2.8L are quite in demand.The 17-40mmf4L is also in demand it seems.If you got lobang to bring in cheaper warrantied sets and sell, why not...

Status
Not open for further replies.