Canon Lens $ Vs Nikkor Lens $

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoky

Mar 17, 2004
Singapore
hoky.multiply.com
Just wanna know between the two brands, which is generally more expensive in terms of the same specifications.

I'm not referring to Canon's highly $$$ L lens, but just typical AF and MF lens here.

All the recomended retail price of the lens from Canon and Nikon are available on the net.

Read it up and decide for yourseld.

www.canon.com.sg

www.nikon.com.sg

Generally, there are some lens than is more expensive in one brand than the other.

The big question is: Which lens are you looking for?

If you really want to be objective about pricing, both Canon and Nikon lenses are pretty expensive compared to the brands with less market share: Pentax, Minolta, etc. i don't think their lenses are all that inferior; they just don't have the market share to price their stuff like Canon and Nikon.

i'm just bringing this up bcoz if you haven't invested in a system, and price is a major consideration, maybe bypassing Canon/Nikon might be an option. Unless you're into dSLRs...

I agree with ST1100
Don't get canon/nikon lens if price is a concern to you.
Get the cheaper 3rd party lens.

AReality said:
I agree with ST1100
Don't get canon/nikon if price is a concern to you.
Get the cheaper systems.

Actually, it's not the system that's bothering me.
I'm planning long term.
I'm in the midst of considering the D70 or 300D (Although I have some Nikkor lens from my 'ancestors' :D )

I was thinking of getting other lenses apart of the usual ones included in the kit. Just wondering which brand will be more cost efficient in the long run.

I think if you get the Canon 300D it should give you a start to Canon lenses and move on to the L's. I'm not a nikonian so I don't have much knowledge about it. There are also really good lenses from Nikon but i heard that some lenses are more expensive. I heard an example today about the Canon 24-70L lens being significantly cheaper than a Nikkor lens of similar spec and quality... Honestly, its up to you. Don't decide on the camera, decide on the lens and the system cuz once you start, you gotta stick with it unless you are very rich and money is no object and buy and sell constantly...

Hope this helps...

if you want to check prices, check at the same lens store, eg: bhphotovideo and adorama, that should give you a RELATIVE pricing comparison.

*honestly speaking, I find somethings on bhphotovideo cheaper than buying local even after shipping*

Hoky said:
Actually, it's not the system that's bothering me.
I'm planning long term.
I'm in the midst of considering the D70 or 300D (Although I have some Nikkor lens from my 'ancestors' :D )

I was thinking of getting other lenses apart of the usual ones included in the kit. Just wondering which brand will be more cost efficient in the long run.

In the long run, photography is never cost efficient unless you are making money from your photographs.

What sort of Nikkors do you have? You might list them out here and maybe we can help decide if they would be of any use to you. And if you are really concerned with cost, it would make more sense to go third party (Sigma/Tamron/Tokina). If you stick to Canon or Nikon, the lenses you get would be about the same in cost and any cost saving you get in one type of lens would be lost in another.

list out what u intend to get, brand new or 2nd hand, then we can give u a rough price guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.