Canon lens model - IS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerberra

Sep 6, 2008
I noticed that some Canon lens model has IS while some does not. What does the IS mean - does it make a difference to the shoot?

Have you ever tried looking at the canon website or google or even the newbies guide right here in this forum? I mean really... You'd find out it's "Image stabilization". As for the effect of that, please try some research on your own.

seemed like it was a stupid qn tat i asked.
i was pretty clueless on the channels available to get the ans and tot the clubsnap forumers could help and give a quick answer.
i will check out more on image stabilisation. thanks anyway.

Have you ever tried looking at the canon website or google or even the newbies guide right here in this forum? I mean really... You'd find out it's "Image stabilization". As for the effect of that, please try some research on your own.

Come on, he is a newbie. Don't sound so impatient in answering his question. Everyone wants to know answers that are short and sweet and direct. To TS, IS means Image stablization. It comes in handy with you have shaky hands.

seemed like it was a stupid qn tat i asked.
i was pretty clueless on the channels available to get the ans and tot the clubsnap forumers could help and give a quick answer.
i will check out more on image stabilisation. thanks anyway.

very minimum..IS facilitates to improve the hand-holdability when u compose or take a shot, especially when using long-zoom end.
it seems that IS may be important to some users and may be not to some.
i noticed the following thread FYI.
personally, IS is an important facility and i try to buy Canon lens with IS.
hope this will help.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431006

it depends but take note that IS is no replacement to the superior stability of a proper tripod. Its useful for snapshots where a tripod would be difficult.

depending on the use, some may prefer the much cheaper non-IS version while others prefer to pay a premium for the IS version.

In general, to avoid image blur due to handshake, ur shutter speed should be at least 1/x, where x is the focal length in mm,
ie. if u are zooming at 100mm, the shutter speed should be at least 1/100s.
this is just a general rule. A shutter speed of 1/125s is usually sufficient for a clean shot.
with more practice, u can handhold steady at 1/50 or even 1/25s.

hence in a dark situation where u have to lower ur shutter speed which will induce handshake blur, u may want to use the IS function if u do not have a tripod or cannot increase the aperture/ ISO anymore.

basically IS is more for low-light conditions & zoom lenses. :)

One more thing to keep in mind regarding IS. It does NOT freeze movement. Just allows you to take a shot with a slower shutter speed.

Come on, he is a newbie. Don't sound so impatient in answering his question. Everyone wants to know answers that are short and sweet and direct. To TS, IS means Image stablization. It comes in handy with you have shaky hands.

When joining a forum, it's good to read the T&C.

yea i know. But since he is a newbie then we should try answering his question right? ;) we should just help everyone

Might as well put right on top "Before ask anything check Yahoo/Google/etc search."

Might as well put right on top "Before ask anything check Yahoo/Google/etc search."

Or go to MSN, the new Live Search claims to deliver the answers directly instead of listing hundreds of links. Let's see what kind of confused people with funny Microsoft-style answers will turn up here ...

It's in the T&C... search the forum before starting a new thread

It's in the T&C... search the forum before starting a new thread

come on, he is a new member right. Don't tell me you never ask questions that seem to be "silly" when you are new

come on, he is a new member right. Don't tell me you never ask questions that seem to be "silly" when you are new

We had this question before and it seems to pop up every now and then.
It is sad but true that some newbies here just drop by, sign in and smack their questions into the Newbies Corner - without even making the slightest smallest effort to check the available information and the topics that have been discussed. That's simply impolite and inconsiderate to all people contributing here and that's what many seniors here criticize. TS could have checked with www.canon.com or Google about IS in less time that it needs to post the question here. In return he would get a lot of additional information, experience and example pictures. Try Google with 'Canon IS'.
Nobody minds questions of newcomers, but is it too much to expect a few efforts and own thinking? CS stands for ClubSnap, not Club Spoonfeeding:
spoon%20feeding.JPG

(Thanks to night86mare for this great link!)

I wonder if would be better if edit sharingan eyes into the baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.