Canon Lens 50mm f1.4 / f1.8

bolehbokeh

Aug 24, 2010
Jurong
Hi, I am considering to buy a 50mm lens. But still cant really decide which one to get f1.4 or f/1.8 . In terms of price wise, is a lot of different but would like to know in terms of results/ output - does it really show a huge different ????? Please advise. New to CS. Tq:)

Last edited:
50mm,F1.4/1.8

A prime lens.

are you shooting in low light environment a lot? F1.4 maximum will let you open your aperture to F1.4,which is better than F1.8, in terms of letting in Light...

Hi, I am considering to buy a 50mm lens. But still cant really decide which one to get f1.4 or f/1.8 . In terms of price wise, is a lot of different but would like to know in terms of results/ output - does it really show a huge different ????? Please advise. New to CS. Tq:)

if you have not heard about the 50 1.4 issues, then i think you should do a search first...

then ya, i will recommend you get the 50 1.8... unless you are really set on going on primes.. and know what you are doing.. then you can go for the sigma 50 1.4..

its not recommended to spend so much $ on sth you don't know or understand..

Enzeru21, what do you mean? Could you explain in more details? I am a new baby here . Please help.;p

Last edited:
Enzeru21, what do you mean? Could you explain in more details? I am a new baby here . Please help.;p

yup i think DareDevil has provided you with all the links...

he's really great at that~!!! thanks DD... :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

So in that case, would you recommend Canon 50mm 1.8 or any other brand ( sigma, tamron)... Or any other better choice??? Tq

I used to have both of them but I sold off the f/1.8 with some regrets, the pentagon bokeh was rather attrative in its own way. My f/1.4 didn't suffer any malfunction as yet but mostly it's switch to "Manual" mode (personal preference) unless I'm on an outing with my family.

Having tried both lenses, I think the f/1.8 is really great value as beside been a bit warmer, it gives very sharp and contrasty images, almost as good as the f/1.4. I guess the USM on the f/1.4 may have been faster and perhaps quiet but I didn't pay much attention to it.

So in that case, would you recommend Canon 50mm 1.8 or any other brand ( sigma, tamron)... Or any other better choice??? Tq

Which cameller model will you be shooting with? if it's less than say 15mp, you could hardly tell the differences. The resolving power of the f/1.8 is only marginal from the f/1.4 and it cost a fraction of the price... I personally prefer the Zeiss 50mm f/1.7 and the Summicron 50mm f/2.0 but these are strictly manual lenses

Last edited:

If money not the main issue for u.. Then get the sigma 50 mm f1.4. If not buy ef 50mm f1.8, it comfirm "boleh bokeh"..

for 50mm f1.8 is absolutely a no brainer, get the canon, it's cheap and sharp wide open, f1.8 and f1.4 u won't feel to much differece in terms of better in low light, trust me getting 50mm f1.8 + decent flash is better than getting 50mm f1.4, but that's me :D

The 50mm f/1.8 is really value for money. Cheap and sharp....though the build is cheap too and the bokeh is kinda yucky.

I heard that the 50mm f/1.4 has USM issues and the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 has back/front focusing issues but it's perfect after calibration.

Thanks for all the valuable advise...Now I have a clearer understanding. Tq tq. ;p

I have both the Canon 50mm f/1.8 and the f/1.4.

The f/1.4 is fantastic for low light situations where flash is frowned on (or not allowed) such as live bands and photoing candids of friends when dark. The build quality is pretty good for the price and definitely better than the f/1.8 build quality. The USM is very quiet and very quick, however it is occasionally prone to "hunting". The images are very sharp and you can get an amazingly low depth of field with it, although I tend to shoot stopped down when I can to get.

The f/1.8 is also pretty good in low light but that extra bit of light on the f/1.4 is noticable. The build quality as mentioned before is good, but does have a "plasticy" feel to it. The manual focus ring is not as smooth as the f/1.4 and the auto focus hunts more than the f/1.4, especially in low light.

Here are some pictures comparing the two lenses.

JPG_5DII_000001.JPG

JPG_5DII_000002.JPG

JPG_5DII_000003.JPG

JPG_5DII_000004.JPG

HTH.

SeldomHere

I have owned both lenses and both got its pros and cons.... i say,rent or lend the f1.4 and/or buy the f1.8 to try for yourself, you will be the better person to decide and different people have different expections. if you really need others' opinion, the google Canon Lens 50mm f1.4 / f1.8 and you will get hundred of comparsions. after reading you will still be undecided because there are people who like and dislike things about both lens

after so many people have given you imput i'm sure you can decide from here on...

don't spend out of ur budget.. and let it be fun, not painful on ur wallet, thats all.. :D:D

indeed after readin so much i still feel quite undecided really will need to do hands-on to see what i really wan or need

The Canon 50/1.4 is infamous for having the USM break down.

And the Canon 50 f/1.8 is infamous for breaking into pieces if you drop it.

But fret not, there's always the Canon 50 f/1.2 and Canon 50 f/1.0 to choose from as well. :bsmilie:

And the Canon 50 f/1.8 is infamous for breaking into pieces if you drop it.

But fret not, there's always the Canon 50 f/1.2 and Canon 50 f/1.0 to choose from as well. :bsmilie:

:embrass:... fWah... BBB virus .......:sweat: