CANON L Series LEN = Magic Bullets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainman

Apr 4, 2004
In my own world
Hi,
I'm a newbie :) in photography, been reading up alot on digital photography for a couple of years, ever since it first came out the VGA version.

Personally, I bought 3 digi cams before. Recently I upgraded my G2 to a canon 300D and a 28-105 USM. Pretty satisfied with the good silky resolution and low noise level this cam is capable of.

I'm also impressed by the ISO 800 and 1600 capabilities which the compact digi cam is very lacked of.

There are a few stuffs which I wished to invest on. a longer range lens + tcon
and a speedlite with ominbounce and a WA lens lesser than 20mm.

Often I read articles abt the canon L seies len. Wish to invest 1 (14-40L) but was instantly freaked out by its price. I understand that this lens is made of some kind of crystal and no usual lens glass, which is apperntly sharper and lesser CA but my Qn is Does it matter? I can always use paint tool to do a USM and usually all my pics are post processed using AUTO COLOUR CORRECTION and fine tuned some there until i get the brightness and contrast I want. The pics usually came out satisfactory.(At least to me). Therefore I should say L lens or not depends on individual? Can some1 show me some sample pics taken with or wo L Lens.

Next Qn will be exposure control on 300D. Usually I prefered my pic to be slightly underexpoed rather than overexposed. As I felt that underexposed I can always adjust it at the later stage rather than OE which many of the details are already lost. Am I right to say that? I also find the built in flash sufficient with the FEC + 2/3. Any reason that I should buy a speedlite which I often seen guys saying with the ext speedlite the pics came out sharper wo motion blur..Not very true isn't it?

Other than photography creativity what equipments do I need to take better photographs? Is flim SLR is better than DSLR? in terms of resolution and other stuff? cos I see the real professional always use large format camera...Mamiya ..etc. Any one know why are they better than our "lower range" Nikon canon etc.

Lastly anyone can teach me how to upload some pics on this thread so that I able to Upload some pics for u guys precious comments. Thks

Hi,
I'm a newbie :) in photography, been reading up alot on digital photography for a couple of years, ever since it first came out the VGA version.

Personally, I bought 3 digi cams before. Recently I upgraded my G2 to a canon 300D and a 28-105 USM. Pretty satisfied with the good silky resolution and low noise level this cam is capable of.

I'm also impressed by the ISO 800 and 1600 capabilities which the compact digi cam is very lacked of.

There are a few stuffs which I wished to invest on. a longer range lens + tcon
and a speedlite with ominbounce and a WA lens lesser than 20mm.

Often I read articles abt the canon L seies len. Wish to invest 1 (14-40L) but was instantly freaked out by its price. I understand that this lens is made of some kind of crystal and no usual lens glass, which is apperntly sharper and lesser CA but my Qn is Does it matter? I can always use paint tool to do a USM and usually all my pics are post processed using AUTO COLOUR CORRECTION and fine tuned some there until i get the brightness and contrast I want. The pics usually came out satisfactory.(At least to me). Therefore I should say L lens or not depends on individual? Can some1 show me some sample pics taken with or wo L Lens.

Next Qn will be exposure control on 300D. Usually I prefered my pic to be slightly underexpoed rather than overexposed. As I felt that underexposed I can always adjust it at the later stage rather than OE which many of the details are already lost. Am I right to say that? I also find the built in flash sufficient with the FEC + 2/3. Any reason that I should buy a speedlite which I often seen guys saying with the ext speedlite the pics came out sharper wo motion blur..Not very true isn't it?

Other than photography creativity what equipments do I need to take better photographs? Is flim SLR is better than DSLR? in terms of resolution and other stuff? cos I see the real professional always use large format camera...Mamiya ..etc. Any one know why are they better than our "lower range" Nikon canon etc.

Lastly anyone can teach me how to upload some pics on this thread so that I able to Upload some pics for u guys precious comments. Thks

Threads merged. Pls refrain from multiple postings of the same thread. One single thread is enough to get you the response you need.

The Moderator
ClubSNAP.org

firstly L lens does not only give u better colour ,... the built quaility of L lenses are much better then the normal ones.... dun u realise most of the f2.8 or bigger is L lens?

another point... if L lenses are no use (like u have said) then why canon still create them... L lenses have been around for a very long time already... i believe there are many pro around the world using L len.... i dun think photographer 1 2 carry a extra heavy len if it performs like a normal (light ) one....

speed light allow as to use higher shutter speed so do u think there is still motion blur
compare 1/8sec to 1/125sec
which got more motion blur?

simple answer to ur question. Do you shoot alot of photos?

eg, on assigment, ur boss wants a series of photos by this time, his deadline is so tight u have no time to color correct a set of pictures for casting/printing.
or when ur on an event, shooting over a hundred full size pictures.. do u have the energy to color correct or edit?
I used to be like you.. enjoy PSing during school days. now into a job, there is no time to PS.. shoot and print, client selects and immediately sent to the graphic dept to do the layout and casting.

Next,
what shots do u shoot? close up, outdoor, sports, event etc?
L lens is fast, not to mention the optics.. in senerios when I can't get my coverage I want at wide, I zoom in, and L lens has an advantage.. no CA whatsoever

plus the weight feels nice for me..
lol

still, depends on what u shoot. On $$$ assignments, I use the canon setup with L lenes from work.. for personal/test/practice or Low budget shoots, I'm still on a 6900z.

Status
Not open for further replies.