canon L lens

alvinho

Oct 4, 2010
which is more suitable to mount on a 550D?
canon 24-70mm or canon 24-105mm?

its your choice actually...do you need the faster aperture and what you want to do?

I would actually compare if you need the tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 for wide angle or 24-70mm f/2.8 for general purpose since you are using crop camera.

If you intend to move on to full frame eventually then the 24-70mm f/2.8 is my recommendation. If the 550D for a very long time then the EFS 17-55 IS F/2.8 is a very good compromise.

Last edited:
Depend on what you would be shooting most of the time. I'd suggest 24-105 f/4L since it include IS.

Lenses are not suitable to cameras (that's rather compatibility) but rather to your shooting style and requirements. Define both and you'll get closer to the answer.

They both mount on the 550D. Do you need the longer range or the larger aperture, that's something you need to decide yourself.

was thinking to use 24-105mm for event shooting..but is slow in low light..most of the time i shooting at night more than day..17-55mm the range for me is short..need ard 70mm to 135mm..

There is no 1 lens to rule it all (big big aperture, long long range....) yet. You goto figure which are your needs (maybe prioritise, MOST impt, Lesser impt, Least impt etc). And I think this will come up sooner or later, but, the beauty of dslr is to allow you multiple lens changes for different needs and occasions. So, which are your needs? (550D is a crop body, just a note that the 24mm can be somewhat tight in some confined, indoor areas, unless you pair with a wider lens (see what I mean by variety?)

was thinking to use 24-105mm for event shooting..but is slow in low light..most of the time i shooting at night more than day..17-55mm the range for me is short..need ard 70mm to 135mm..

Just compare this post with your initial one. There is hardly a link. Seems you should ponder a bit more what you are actually doing and then make a sound decision. So far, nothing much others can advise you. And: L lenses are not the only choice (unless you have unlimited budget. But even then there other other [new] choices :bsmilie: ).

If you need around that range then perhaps you should look at the 70-200 f2.8, it's the only lens that fits that range and your requirement of fast aperture/focusing.

both aint wide enough, 17-55 ftw. if you want more range, 15-85 it shall be. topup with a 580EXII and you are good to go,

alvinho said:
which is more suitable to mount on a 550D?
canon 24-70mm or canon 24-105mm?

The lens that you like, not what ppl tell you to like.

Which pants better for alvinho? Levi jeans or berms??

alvinho said:

Suggest you sit down and think about what you want. From what I read you seem to just have the priority of purchasing something new or find new equipment.

At night shoot? You need F more than L. I mean flash.

IMO, like what edutilos said. You will need to think about what you really want rather than throwing $ on lens you will not fully utilize.

Low Light Event Shooting - You need either Flash or a F1.X lens or BOTH rather than L lens (IIRC, L = Good IQ and may not equals to Fast).

From my standpoint, it seems like you want to find a "all in one PERFECT" lens that is L and Fast lens and yet cover all range from 17mm to 135mm and beyond. If such lens exists, most photogs will be bringing 1 lens around than a big bag with lens from macro to u.wide to long range.

My point: If you have to change lens for a certain event/shoot, just change it....If not, just accept the limitation and move on. *no offence*

At night shoot? You need F more than L. I mean flash.

I agree with the above. However, if you really want an answer, it will be the 24-70mm, since it's f2.8. I've used before the 24-105mm, and I'm happy with that lens as you can just carry your 550D with that lens for general usage. Need not change lens. If you shoot night shots, you just need to up ISO a little to compensate for the f4 available on the 24-105mm.

Having to good / right equipment is one thing, the photographer behind the camera is another.

get two lens then. the EFS 17-55mm and the 85mm f/1.8 is a very good combo if you are doing night events.

if you still don't know the answer, rent both.

try it out and see which one you prefer!

i rented 35 1.4 a few times before buying it. no regrets! :bsmilie: