Canon L Lens ... what's the good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsQ

Jan 27, 2002
River Valley
Visit site
What are the benefit of a Canon L lens?

I know it has better PQ due to better glass.. also better build... but what else?

If one normal Canon lens have the same aperture and focal range of a L lens.. then both shld hv similar performance in terms of speed and usage, except the L lens will give better PQ only rite?

thks..

You also got better waterproofing, and as you said, "better" glass so despite same focal length and aperture size, performance would be different. Also not forgetting that it is heavier and usually larger. Cheers

Better quality glass hence better IQ
Better Build
Some have weather-proofing
Faster focussing speed

The L range has the 70-200 f/2.8, the normal range last time I checked doesn't

400D with 24-105 f4L IS USM. Is it a "waste" for the lens?
what is the significant diff btw the EF-S 18 - 55mm IS f/3.5-5.6 vs EF 24 - 107 f/4 L

Hope that helps to show that such questions pop up once every week. It helps to browse the forum. if unsure you can rent the lens and do your own tests and comparisons.

actually the link dont really provide me answer.. i know that L lens hv constant aperture.. but what i trying to be certain of is that if a L lens hv a same variable aperture and similar focal range as a non-L lens.. then what are the other benefit beside the PQ and build? i believe no more then that... so i just want to be certain on my knowledge..

Last edited:
Better quality glass hence better IQ
Better Build
Some have weather-proofing
Faster focussing speed

The L range has the 70-200 f/2.8, the normal range last time I checked doesn't

ahh.. faster focusing also, yes i missed that... Thks for ur input .. this is what what i trying to be certain of for L lens...

thks again !

ahh.. faster focusing also, yes i missed that... Thks for ur input .. this is what what i trying to be certain of for L lens...

What is the difference compared to normal lenses? Fractions of a second. Focusing speed depends a lot on the body,the sensitivity of AF sensors and of course of the object and patterns that could be picked up by the AF sensors. Using my 430EX I get much faster focusing in low lights than without - using the same lens.

you pay peanuts, you get monkeys

L lenses are worth the money

They are the best

The difference is in branding. Lexus vs Toyota. Is all Lexus great ? Not necessary, but generally they are better in all aspect. There are some L that is not great. Does that make Toyota a lousy car ? Not necessary, some Toyota is close to Lexus quality/Spec. Example, 17-55/2.8 IS is definitely close to L quality (optics).

you pay peanuts, you get monkeys

L lenses are worth the money

They are the best

I know la.. but as i am learning, i also want to know what is the different .. and to see if the different is significant or important enough to get or not while considering the price premium..

Octarine: Thks for ur additional comment..

I more or less get the idea of what the L lens are about now.. i guess its the premium one pays to get the the path towards PQ perfection..

I think so far my understanding is that sharpness and PQ.. together with build quality is the most significant different for a red ring L lens... (while focus speed also additional add on)

thks guys for ur help... hope one day i hv the skills to hv myself deserving a L lens

They are the best

Well, best for Canon maybe; but even then, not necessarily. Depends on the L lens too. sometimes the new Sigma lenses for example, may be sharper and have better bokeh than the L glass.

As with all purchases, research and compare first.

The difference is in branding. Lexus vs Toyota. Is all Lexus great ? Not necessary, but generally they are better in all aspect. There are some L that is not great. Does that make Toyota a lousy car ? Not necessary, some Toyota is close to Lexus quality/Spec. Example, 17-55/2.8 IS is definitely close to L quality (optics).

from what i read ard (incl in this forum) .. the 17-55/2.8 IS dont hv the build quality to match.. guess thats where it does not belongs to the L family..

actually my question is not which particular lens is better.. just a general question on L lens that i already know the answer, just want to reaffirm with the rest of u nice chap here that my understanding of this topic is not wrong. :)

got nice red rubber band decoration, so pretty <3

wonder got anyone got color their non L lens with a red ring ard or not..

like how those lancer adding on with Evo body kits.. haha.. (no offence lancer owners...)

wonder got anyone got color their non L lens with a red ring ard or not..

like how those lancer adding on with Evo body kits.. haha.. (no offence lancer owners...)

I see a lot of people add a white sticker layer to their lens and a thin red stripe to make a fake L lens.

but just like the Lancers with the fake evo body kits, it's really obviously a fake.

Some myth here.......

L lenses does not necessarily equate to better image quality.

so far i think most L lens i read about has better PQ advantage over other Canon non-L lens... (not sure how it is up against other lens though...)

probably theres 1 or 2 L lens that's not up to the qualification?? u know which? just so that i can go read more about it...

thks guys for ur help... hope one day i hv the skills to hv myself deserving a L lens

You don't need skills to deserve an L lens...you need $$$ :devil:

My thoughts... It really depends on what you are shooting, and the final output... for the ocassional travel photographer who captures static subjects and prints 4R or even 8R photos, consumer-grade lens is really enough.

If you need to produce images to be blown up where sharpness & resolution is critical, then I guess a significant difference will be noted while using L lens.

L Lens...a world apart from canon normal lenses lor..

i wouldnt say that their normal line are average..there are gems within that line..

but L lens are worth the premium that u pay...

Status
Not open for further replies.