Canon L Lens rubber turning white

raymond350

Mar 19, 2006
North East
www.flickr.com
I notice that some of my Canon L lens will start to turn white in some areas on the zoom/focus rings after prolong usage. My other non-L and 3rd party lens don't seem to have this problem though

They are definitely not fungus growth or anything like that, but more of abrasions maybe?

Anyone care to share if they have similar experience?

Is it on the rubber parts and do you keep them in a dry cabi? I think it is the dryness that is causing it to change color. My guess is you bring your non L lenses out more often so you don't see this problem on them.

Sounds like sweat.........

take off the rubber and wash it...

Have they been exposed to rain, moisture etc before?

I notice that some of my Canon L lens will start to turn white in some areas on the zoom/focus rings after prolong usage. My other non-L and 3rd party lens don't seem to have this problem though

They are definitely not fungus growth or anything like that, but more of abrasions maybe?

Do you have a photo of the lens showing this white coloring?

Other than the rubber turning white, do you feel any degration of the material? Something like powdery substance coming out of the rubber, cracks formation on the rubber, stickiness of the rubber grip?

Your L lenses want to be white, like their telephoto big brothers.

Seriously, that's sweat stain. Get that on my t shirts after shooting outdoors all day.

Just stake awet cloth and wipe it. I believe it is sweat. I notice this as well on my lenses, much more on the zoom ring than the focus ring as I use autofocus most of the time

The white stuff you see forming on the rubber ring is due to exposure to UV. Your residue sweat+oils will react with the silicon rubber and it forms a fine white stain. Remove it and wash with mild soap like dishwashing detergent, dry it under the shade and then put it back. :cool:

Your L lenses want to be white, like their telephoto big brothers.

Seriously, that's sweat stain. Get that on my t shirts after shooting outdoors all day.

To be more specific, those are actually salt contents from perspiration that has been evaporated.

Thanks to all for the replies. Seems like the consensus is that it is due to sweat. Will just try some wipes and probably not risk take the whole thing off.