Canon L lens and ordinary lens opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokkaido88

Dec 29, 2007
There has been two camp for the lens thought, one stress on the importance of using the highest quality lens to capture the shoots while another thought technique, composition, experience is far more importance than the gear/lens. A weakness in the ordinary lens could be recover from a good photoshop skill/technique.

Just want to inititate this topic on how do you view on this matter.

There has been two camp for the lens thought, one stress on the importance of using the highest quality lens to capture the shoots while another thought technique, composition, experience is far more importance than the gear/lens. A weakness in the ordinary lens could be recover from a good photoshop skill/technique.

Just want to inititate this topic on how do you view on this matter.

This topic has been discussed heavily many many times, and usually gets locked very quickly. There is NO POINT in re-hashing this topic again and again.

In fact, right here ON THE SAME PAGE, there's this:
I hate it when ppl say "its not the camera, its the person behine it"
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564801

Oh, and L lenses are not the highest quality when compared to some others... ;)

Last edited:
Short answer: L lens opens up more opportunities and makes low-light or long-range shots more viable.

Long answer: go dig those threads.

Ultimately... if you have a good lens but don't know how to bring out its potential, result is same if you used a non L lens.

Short answer: L lens opens up more opportunities and makes low-light or long-range shots more viable.

Long answer: go dig those threads.

Ultimately... if you have a good lens but don't know how to bring out its potential, result is same if you used a non L lens.

if cam sensor not so good.. and u crop alot... L len is really preferred... cos L lens gives better output when cropping... unless u frame and compose every shot, then kit lens...

if cam sensor not so good.. and u crop alot... L len is really preferred... cos L lens gives better output when cropping... unless u frame and compose every shot, then kit lens...

Rubbish lah. If your sensor is no good, then you cannot make use of the benefits of high-end glass.

Rubbish lah. If your sensor is no good, then you cannot make use of the benefits of high-end glass.

at least for me, this is the case...
my sensor is not so good...
i get better result from L lens after cropping, compare to from kit lens...
kit lens gives alot of purple/red fringing after cropping, less (or no) so if crop L lens pic...

not quite true. :) besides the crop factor, i dun think there is any major differences in image quality from a L lens taken from a cropped body vs a full frame body.

at least for me, this is the case...
my sensor is not so good...
i get better result from L lens after cropping, compare to from kit lens...
kit lens gives alot of purple/red fringing after cropping, less (or no) so if crop L lens pic...

wow you must be cropping a lot...
chromatic aberation only happens when you crop like crazy hahah

OK, let's rehearse again as not to go into a long discussion again. Yes this topic is old and mouldy. Search for historical thread or look at sample reviews.

L lens are Canon's premium grade lens with better material builds, the body, weight is much heavier. So is the cost.

From many reviews, depending on the lens range, EF lens can produce better optical result than the L. If same range, the difference is near identical. E.g latest 100mm L macro vs EF 100mm macro. No diff.

With respect to crop (this is what I observe) quality, it depends on the lens model again. E.g my EF 85mm remains very sharp at 50% magnifcation but the 24-105mm becomes soft. But of course, poor lens + poor sensor produce even poorer output (putting the f-stop aside).

yes, due to my lousy shootin skill and the speed my subject (as in my toddler) move.. i really need to crop alot... i cant frame.. i can only shoot and crop... but up to 4R print... things is still pretty acceptable...

The end results are the most important. You get good pictures, means the lens is good.

My own opinion is just get the best lens you can afford and enjoy shooting.
If you shoot more, your skill will improve as you get more familiar with your equipment.
L and consumer lens are just 2 different classes,they serve different needs. :)

hmm I don't get it, CA only happens when we crop? Its depends on the lens right?

hmm I don't get it, CA only happens when we crop? Its depends on the lens right?

Ya, but it becomes obvious when you blow up the picture - as with all other imperfections of the photograph.

Wonder why there's been so many arguement over this. Both are important needless to say, and that's why you see those pro who earn a living out of photography uses the better lenses.
Two equivalent skilled amateur user, one with better quality lenses probably gets away with a better shot in some instances. It gives an edge, not doesn't help in composition, getting exposure right as fast.

1. Good skill with Good equip
2. Good skill with Average equip
3. Average skill with Good equip
4. Average skill with Average equip
5. Those like some or your older relative who admit they're poor skill. equip = PNS

2 and 3 will overlap depending on skill level, although its another grey topic on how to define skill.
On personal note - my skill is good if I like the pictures I take and proud of the result.
On forum - your skill is good if you get lots of compliment.
On public - your skill is good if you pictures gets you awards, and display in photo fair.

Money is really the main factor IMHO.
If I'm rich, why would I start learning using a cheaper equipment? Other than weight, I'd buy the best body and lenses and start learning how to use from there.
Money factor is very clear even when you select and buy a body/lense. Most would like to have a FF body with good lenses, but practical senses with money tells you to compromise. We always start out with a budget and try to keep within it. Need to have versus Good to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.