Canon Kit Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamtheatre

Aug 20, 2004
Serangoon Nth
Hi,

Just a personal experience regarding Canon's Kit lens - specifically the 28-90mm f/4- 5.6.

I know Canon's kit lenses have always been the butt of many people's joke. Yes, the lens are not all glass, not much coatings and extreamly light-weight in build. However, don;t start selling or giving them away...yet.

When I use my 28-90mm kit lens for B/W, the result is really great. I like the grainy B/W type so the 'low quality' of the lens really brings out the rawness of the image. I know the grainyness can be controlled during processing but using the kit lens really helps.

I have compared it with using my Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 and the result is not the same. The image is too 'clean'.

This is just my perosnal taste....or the lack of it ;)

Anyway, just a thinker to anyone who is thinking of selling their kit lens for S$20.

DT:)

The MTF for the EF-S 18-55mm is pretty good - better than many other zoom lenses in fact (this from looking at the Canon EF Lens Work III book).

Caras said:
The MTF for the EF-S 18-55mm is pretty good - better than many other zoom lenses in fact (this from looking at the Canon EF Lens Work III book).
If I am not wrong, dreamtheatre is using film camera. So digital lens like 18-55mm dun work with film ;)

I think you can get 2nd hand 28-105mm USM for a good start

whoa Megaweb, you very preceptive :) :thumbsup:

Actually, my purpose to post this is just to let people know that every equipment has their reason for existence. No one equipment is totally good or bad. Just depends on how you decide to use them.

Like Jimmy Page once said, when he use an effects processor, he don't want to know what it is supposed to do, but what it is NOT supposed to do.

The 28-90 is really a pretty decent lens. I've shot an event once with this lens, indoors with flash. My settings were f/5.6 - f/6.3, 1/125s and ETTL flash. The results were really very good for such a cheap lens, in fact, with 4R-5R prints it was probably as good as the 28-105USM.

sriram said:
The 28-90 is really a pretty decent lens. I've shot an event once with this lens, indoors with flash. My settings were f/5.6 - f/6.3, 1/125s and ETTL flash. The results were really very good for such a cheap lens, in fact, with 4R-5R prints it was probably as good as the 28-105USM.

GOOD! Well done sriram:) Always admire folks who squeeze out as much value as they can from 'cheap' stuffs.

I was physcoed during the early days when I first got into AF photography. Lotsa comment about how soft, lousy kit lenses are. Well, just glad that I woke up from it and realize it now :)

I totally agree, with 4R to 5R prints, it dosen't matter what lens you use. Anyway, as long as the exposure and composition can relate to the theame, you don't need a L lens to create meaninful photos.

dreamtheatre said:
whoa Megaweb, you very preceptive :) :thumbsup:

Actually, my purpose to post this is just to let people know that every equipment has their reason for existence. No one equipment is totally good or bad. Just depends on how you decide to use them.

Like Jimmy Page once said, when he use an effects processor, he don't want to know what it is supposed to do, but what it is NOT supposed to do.

great ! look forward to see your shots ...

megaweb said:
great ! look forward to see your shots ...

No prob, just PM me if you wanna meet up. I really like to show my pics and get feedbacks, it is the best way t learn.

:)

i've always like my 28-80 kit lense...it's not perfect, not too clean, and it produces those soft to sharp portraits, which i like. That's y...i still havent thought of replacing it...mayb when it get screwed up, then i'll replace it.

maybe u lucky got a good sample

user111 said:
maybe u lucky got a good sample
being lucky is also important in buying photographic equipment mah...so that no need to go back to the shop and replace it...he he he.

dreamtheatre said:
Hi,

Just a personal experience regarding Canon's Kit lens - specifically the 28-90mm f/4- 5.6.

I know Canon's kit lenses have always been the butt of many people's joke. Yes, the lens are not all glass, not much coatings and extreamly light-weight in build. However, don;t start selling or giving them away...yet.

When I use my 28-90mm kit lens for B/W, the result is really great. I like the grainy B/W type so the 'low quality' of the lens really brings out the rawness of the image. I know the grainyness can be controlled during processing but using the kit lens really helps.

I have compared it with using my Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 and the result is not the same. The image is too 'clean'.

This is just my perosnal taste....or the lack of it ;)

Anyway, just a thinker to anyone who is thinking of selling their kit lens for S$20.

I must agree that the lens is pretty good. Have been using it for walkabout and landscape shots. Also have used it for portraits and macro (attach an extension tube). Although sometimes the pictures don turn out so good (which is probably bec I still quite an amateur:p), the good ones must say are really impressive.

Till now still using! :)

hmm, i can't complain here...
been using my kit lens for yrs already...
even now change to 10D from old eos 88,
am still using e same kit lens..

suits me for most purposes... hehe

:) Great , it's really nice to know there are some of us that are proud of our kit lenses.

Got some funny looks one time when I borrowed a friend's EOS 3 and mount it with my 28-90mm f/4~5.6. I was shooting with b/w.
anyway, it din bother me, it's my photo so I preetty do what I want with it, shoot it how I want , use what I want ;)

anyway canon kit lenses are quite sharp also heres one from the 18-55 kit lens that comes with 300D, 350D and 20D:

1.jpg

zhangyb,

You have a nice portrait there. :thumbsup:
You bend low when taking this shot ??
The girl tilt her head in a nice angle and the kind of look
she gives you is v well captured. hehe... :bsmilie:

zhangyb said:
anyway canon kit lenses are quite sharp also heres one from the 18-55 kit lens that comes with 300D, 350D and 20D:

1.jpg

Wha....nice :thumbsup:

No PS done?

dreamtheatre said:
Wha....nice :thumbsup:

No PS done?
yar only resizing done on the image, very cute kid, i was squatting when i took the shot and so happened she tilted her head as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.