Canon IXUS II vs. Pentax Optio S vs. Casio Exilim EX-Z3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TME

Jan 19, 2002
Clementi
Hi,

I am looking at these 3 cameras at the moment:

Which would be the best? I am looking for an idiot-proof camera for my sis with some manual functions for my own use. We are sharing the camera.

My sis's requirements are must be
1) light,
2) small
3) "chio"....

Mine (relative to ultra-compacts) are must have
1) good focussing speed, esp low light
2) accurate colour reproduction
3) good lens optical quality
4) VGA movie recording with sound (unlimited best)
5) long exposure mode
6) good bright and easy to see LCD monitor.
7) good battery life

a) Could u post your recommendations?
b) Could u also post ballpark figures for their respective prices?

Thanks a lot!

I was once in the similar situation, I bought the Canon IXUS II. Never regret getting it.

ivor said:
I was once in the similar situation, I bought the Canon IXUS II. Never regret getting it.

Can u say why u selected the IXUS II?

I'm tempted by a second hand Fujifilm S602Z as well... as it is in the same price point but have lots more...... only obstacle is my sis who wants a ultra-compact...... haiz.....

I got the Casio EX-Z3. Confirm a idiot proof camera! It's very easy to use, I think Canon will have the manual function settings not the Casio lor. Just let the person who is spending the money to try it, that's the best! The 602Z is a overkill for novice user lah, althought i must say it looks like a pro SLR camera.

The IXUS II stainless steel case feels very solid and is almost always cool to the touch, this give the camera a very robust feel.

Side by side with the Pentax Optio S, and Z3, the IXUS II is approximately the same size from the front.

Check out the below, "between the three cameras the Canon comes second to the Casio EX-Z3 for visible sharpness, although it's a close run thing. If you look at the finer detail such as the gold text on the black background and the barcode the IXUS II looks a little better with these fine details (the EX-Z3 goes a little blotchy on the gold text), the IXUS image also has less visible noise than the Casio"

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd100/page12.asp

ivor said:
The IXUS II stainless steel case feels very solid and is almost always cool to the touch, this give the camera a very robust feel.

Side by side with the Pentax Optio S, and Z3, the IXUS II is approximately the same size from the front.

Check out the below, "between the three cameras the Canon comes second to the Casio EX-Z3 for visible sharpness, although it's a close run thing. If you look at the finer detail such as the gold text on the black background and the barcode the IXUS II looks a little better with these fine details (the EX-Z3 goes a little blotchy on the gold text), the IXUS image also has less visible noise than the Casio"

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd100/page12.asp

Hmm...... yes I have been reading reviews like crazy mainly from dpreview, dcresource and steve's-digicams.... and I compiled a essential feature comparo for myself but u can read it here: www.geocities.com/mingern76/ultracompact3.2MPdigicam.html

My thinking is that the Canon seems to give the best picture quality and balance as well as faithfulness to colour and sharpness... also the Casio has a rather horrible but large 2.0" LCD panel. Its only has 84K pixels which makes it real bad looking... also comparing the reviews and test shots the Canon's lens seems to give the best picture plus the fantastic night mode and movie mode are IMO important bonuses.... but as I say the S602Z is really the one to get..... anyway I'm sharing the digicam so I would want so manual functions as well.....

Status
Not open for further replies.