Canon IXUS 850i or Nikon D40

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgthinker

Dec 13, 2004
Hi All

Had been narrow now what to get for my christmas present.

now left with either Canon IXUS 850i or Nikon D40..

Wanted more on Canon but really curious what will i be losing out if i dun get a Nikon D40.

A bit kuku :bigeyes: now as still choosing ...

any help will be good. Thanks

Hi All

Wanted more on Canon but really curious what will i be losing out if i dun get a Nikon D40.

2 basically very different breed of cam... you are comparing a pns to a DSLR.. as a matter of fact if you are using this question.. go for canon ixus...

2 basically very different breed of cam... you are comparing a pns to a DSLR.. as a matter of fact if you are using this question.. go for canon ixus...

Thanks..but also keen to find out the right pull factor toward a DSLR too

Agree with jasongcp. You are definitely not yet ready for a SLR. Although D40 is the cheaper end of Nikon dSLR series, you should note the costs attached to it; buying other lens, bulkier built, maintenance(dry cabi, cleaning kit, filters etc) and the lists goes on.

850i is slim and convenient.

Its like comparing apple and durain. Some prefer the smaller size and convenience of apple, while others would prefer the return they got from the durain.

yes... d40 kit is NOT just S$1088... you gotta factor in other stuffs like accessories/lens/flash.

yes... d40 kit is NOT just S$1088... you gotta factor in other stuffs like accessories/lens/flash.

dun mind the accesories if (within my budget) and i am also picking up the photography skill from all of you experts here ma...and concern tat will outgrow the capability of IXUS 850 too soon ...

serious... what type of photos you like to take? $$ is one thing... commitment level and the learning curve is steeper for DSLR... like many claimed... DSLR is not take, aim, squeeze trigger and VOILA.... get SHARP SHARP award winning shots... if you want trouble free experience, maybe try either ixus or prosumer... you sound like one well-to-do fellow as $$ seems not a issue to you... :)

But if you really got the sharp interest, then go ahead.. DSLR can be great fun as many here will agree with me.. and when you do.... please announced proudly so we can all "WELCOME YOU TO THE DARK SIDE" hahaha

serious... what type of photos you like to take? $$ is one thing... commitment level and the learning curve is steeper for DSLR... like many claimed... DSLR is not take, aim, squeeze trigger and VOILA.... get SHARP SHARP award winning shots... if you want trouble free experience, maybe try either ixus or prosumer... you sound like one well-to-do fellow as $$ seems not a issue to you... :)

But if you really got the sharp interest, then go ahead.. DSLR can be great fun as many here will agree with me.. and when you do.... please announced proudly so we can all "WELCOME YOU TO THE DARK SIDE" hahaha

no lah i am letting go my phone hobby to pick up this new area.."dark side i come..hope i dun drop into black hole..oops

but now still pondering..soni me like tat one..want to be sure sure then go for it..

dun mind the accesories if (within my budget) and i am also picking up the photography skill from all of you experts here ma...and concern tat will outgrow the capability of IXUS 850 too soon ...
if that the case, go for d40. imho Ixus 850 is just a very typical PnS without any manual mode, pretty pointless to get it if you are into photography and want control over the camera rather than all auto.

but be informed that the "accessories" doesn't come cheap. :sweat:

but, but, but im sinking in myself. :embrass:

sound like CS is "titantic" for photo "seow"...all sinking vitamin M ...:sweat:

BTW how long did u sink vitamin M for the hobby?

Hi All

hi a p&s can take good photos too if u master it. u don't need the bulk of an slr to take beautiful pics.
unless u r into sports & high speed stuff etc.

the main problem with DSLR is weight, are you ready to carry the minimum of 700g to 1kg?

the main benefit of DSLR is its interchangeable lens system, which opens you to more varied types of photography. of cos, i think pns can be adapted to that, which i'm not sure how much, but i dun think it is as good and dedicated compared to lens for a DSLR. others can correct me otherwise.

the equivocal part is the size. some like the fact that DSLR is large, with good control on the buttons. but the same size makes it difficult to keep and also appears more conspicuous.

the rest are secondary points to me. control. cost of further equipments....

Most Clubsnappers have BOTH a pns and a DSLR.

So go get the 850IS or can try the Fuji F30 for more control.

And once you find that you need more controls for your photography, go for DSLR

Seriously, u don't know what you want yet.

Letting go your phone hobby to pick up this new hobby. So when u going to leave this hobby and move on to the next?

get the 850i.
And when you think you wanna settle down, get a better cam than the D40.

Most Clubsnappers have BOTH a pns and a DSLR.

So go get the 850IS or can try the Fuji F30 for more control.

And once you find that you need more controls for your photography, go for DSLR

ya... I got a H5 and a 350D now thinking maybe getting a ixus 850:)

for PnS i recommand lx2 and f30 over the ixus... ixus simply doesn't have the manual control(aperture/shutter mode) which the basic one should learn if he/she is interested in photography.

me? ok la not very long, roughly a yr only.

Get the Fuji F31 lah... confirm beat ixus hands down anytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.