Canon IXUS 430

Status
Not open for further replies.

meanie38

Jun 8, 2004
Hi, I am considering buying a digital camera for my Hokkaido trip in December.

Canon IXUS seems fine with me, but I heard that many people experience problem using digital cameras in cold weather. Anybody knows if this camera would work well in temperatures as cold as -15degree?

Actually I prefer a camera with better zooming power, that's why I am also considering Canon S1 IS. Can anybody tell me how to choose between this two, considering the cold weather factor?

Thanks alot! :bsmilie:

-15 degress....hmmm...I don't think the camera you intend to get will work in that temperature. Especially digital cameras. Try those disposable film cameras. They work as good as those handy film ones.

Thanks icecoolbeer.
Do you have any idea if the camera will be damaged or it just simply doesn't work?
I am thinking of bringing both my traditional film camera and digital camera, but I am afraid my digital camera will "die" even without me using it in the cold weather......

My ixus400 worked fine up the snowy mountains in Switzerlands at -10degrees. :thumbsup:

I dun wan to promise anything. For me, I will not bring the digital camera. Later spoil regret.

If you are a snap and shoot, happy-go-lucky type, the "idiot-proof" camera still works. I have used once a fuji disposable camera before during one of my winter vacation in Japan. It works quite well! Or get a cheap Lomo camera.

Hokkaido is a wonder place to visit even in winter. But I heard during the summer and spring is nice too. Blooming flowers and seasonal fruits. Try their maze and corns. They are famous in Hokkaido. Better do your research b4 you go.

I heard that to make your camera STILL work in cold weather is to always keep it close to your body. When it's not in use, put it close to your body so that it can gain some body heat and still keep warm. When you wanna use, then just take it out and shoot. thereafter keep it within your jacket, close to your body again.

I was in Shenyang two years ago during winter and temp hit -30 when I arrived. My digital camera (sony P50) still work till now, so no problem. Make it a point to put into its bag and keep it inside your pocket close to body. Never hang it around. Switch off and retract lens as soon as after shooting.
Enjoy your trip. :)

kiasu101 said:
I was in Shenyang two years ago during winter and temp hit -30 when I arrived. My digital camera (sony P50) still work till now, so no problem. Make it a point to put into its bag and keep it inside your pocket close to body. Never hang it around. Switch off and retract lens as soon as after shooting.
Enjoy your trip. :)

Yup Kiasu101 is right, always switch it off once you are not using it.

I juz brought my Ixus400 to the Snowy mountains (-25 C) about 2 weeks ago and i only managed to take 60-80 photos with the LCD turned on with a full batt.

Here's a pic of the scenery at the top.

Thredbo.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.