Canon iX4000 or Epson R1390?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyecee

Oct 4, 2006
Hi Guys,

I'm asking for people's thoughts and experiences on either the Canon iX4000 and Epson R1390 as I'm in the market for a good quality A3 sized photo printer. I know that there is the Epson R1900, the Canon P9500 and HP 8850 as well but they are all a little past my budget so I'm keen to see what you guys thing around the lower end models.

Thanks in advance,
eyecee

I used the iX4000 before so here's my experience:

1. Cheap for an A3 printer.
2. Glossy prints look fantastic - Due to Chromalife inks
3. If you print A3 often, the small catridges might seem expensive in the long run.
4. B&W prints is not great.
5. Fast and efficient.

Dunno much about the Epson R1390 though. Hope that helps.

My unit has iX4000 for their A3 photograph prints.

Photo Prints are very decent. B&W colour have a slight purplish tone and somewhat un-natural. That what Pro9000 and Pro9500 are around for.

General, quite ok for its price. If you have an old canon printer, you can trade in and ask canon to deliver the A3 printer to ur house.
IX4000 only uses 4 ink, which is good I believe since save cost on buying more colour ink.

Not sure about espon. Just stay anyway from HP, should be ok if you wanna print photos.

Personally, I'd recommend the Canon PIXMA Pro9000 over the ix4000 for photo printing. The Canon IX4000 is a nice printer, but since you're asking about photo printing, I'd say the Canon Pro9000 offers discernable improvements in photo quality that's well worth the price difference.

I used the iX4000 before so here's my experience:

1. Cheap for an A3 printer.
2. Glossy prints look fantastic - Due to Chromalife inks
3. If you print A3 often, the small catridges might seem expensive in the long run.
4. B&W prints is not great.
5. Fast and efficient.

Dunno much about the Epson R1390 though. Hope that helps.

I have owned the ix4000 for just over a year.

#1. Was probably the main reason I bought it. $500 was the upper limit of my budget.
#2. Agreed.
#3. Probably. Funny thing is, to date, I have not printed even one full A3 colour photo... mainly because I have yet to settle on the media I want to use. I have printed A3 posters & illustrations (text & ink illustrations) on non-photo paper.
#4. I have been satisfied with B&W prints.
#5. Indeed.

Background - The majority of my printing is for non-commercial use - personal photography projects for framing at home, or as gifts to friends & family. I also use it for proofs & mockups for clients (graphic design). The ix4000 suits my needs pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.