Canon HF11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaycelim

Jul 15, 2006
Guillemard
Anyone here using canon HF11, any comments on it?

Had been reading on the net mostly with good comments. I'm thinking of getting one from B&H which costs about S$1400 with all costs in.

I am using the HF100, which is the same thing, except without the internal memory. I'd suggest that you get the HF100 because memory is very cheap nowadays. Then you can get a 32gb SDHC and it's the same thing as the HF11, except much cheaper... and one less internal component to break down.

It's a great camera. Very good even at low light.

I bought mine from Amazon.com. Then I shipped it through Borderlinx (www.borderlinx.com).

One more thing... if you want to use Borderlinx, they have a US$5 off shipping if you use the code '66788', which can only be used once, and valid till April. :)

I am using the HF100, which is the same thing, except without the internal memory. I'd suggest that you get the HF100 because memory is very cheap nowadays. Then you can get a 32gb SDHC and it's the same thing as the HF11, except much cheaper... and one less internal component to break down.

I bought mine from Amazon.com. Then I shipped it through Borderlinx (www.borderlinx.com).

One more thing... if you want to use Borderlinx, they have a US$5 off shipping if you use the code '66788', which can only be used once, and valid till April. :)

HF100 and HF10 are technically the same except for the internal memory. But HF11 is slightly different with the 24Mbps .

Looking at the comparison here
http://camcorder-test.slashcam.com/compare.html
Just choose HF10, HF100 and HF11

HF11 is 98% the same as the 2 other model, but these 2 charts, luminance resolution and chrominance resolution seems to perform better, although I don't know what these 2 charts represents. The test small ISO image also seems to produce more details although it's seems to tends blue.

I tried the Borderlinx calculator, there is some kind of taxes involved, think I'm stinking to VPOST. :)

Just one question, does the power charger able to switch between a 110V and a 250V?

The test small ISO image also seems to produce more details although it's seems to tends blue.

The blue tint is because the white balance was set wrongly when they took the test picture. WB is a setting you should check whenever lighting conditions change, but that applies for all cams and it's nothing to worry about.

S$1400? seems very cheap.. even cheaper than the HV30? somemore it is solid state memory..

If I'm not wrong I have yet to came across any canon HD camcorder with solid state memory below $2k.. some more the HF11 is like a higher end version in the lineup..

Maybe you should confirm whether is is PAL version. As NTSC version tends to be cheaper. Whether the PAl version is worth the extra is another issue thou..;)

Anyone here using canon HF11, any comments on it?

Had been reading on the net mostly with good comments. I'm thinking of getting one from B&H which costs about S$1400 with all costs in.

S$1400? seems very cheap.. even cheaper than the HV30? somemore it is solid state memory..

If I'm not wrong I have yet to came across any canon HD camcorder with solid state memory below $2k.. some more the HF11 is like a higher end version in the lineup..

Maybe you should confirm whether is is PAL version. As NTSC version tends to be cheaper. Whether the PAl version is worth the extra is another issue thou..;)

PAL is not worth the extra. The image quality is not distinguishable. The reason for the price difference is that the price in Singapore is set by Canon Japan. I contacted the distributor, and they said they also know that prices overseas are much better, but there is nothing they can do because their hands are tied.

In short, you should buy these cameras overseas. It's like buy one get one free? Well almost. :bsmilie:

HF100 and HF10 are technically the same except for the internal memory. But HF11 is slightly different with the 24Mbps .

Looking at the comparison here
http://camcorder-test.slashcam.com/compare.html
Just choose HF10, HF100 and HF11

HF11 is 98% the same as the 2 other model, but these 2 charts, luminance resolution and chrominance resolution seems to perform better, although I don't know what these 2 charts represents. The test small ISO image also seems to produce more details although it's seems to tends blue.

I tried the Borderlinx calculator, there is some kind of taxes involved, think I'm stinking to VPOST. :)

Just one question, does the power charger able to switch between a 110V and a 250V?

Vpost has taxes too. Borderlinx and Vpost works differently. Borderlinx shows you the taxes up front, wher Vpost shows you the taxes after your item reaches them. But you still pay the tax.

The only way to 'avoid' the tax, is to mark the item as a gift. Some vendors offer that option. If you ship through VPost, they will ask for the invoice, so if you supply the original invoice, you will pay the tax. If you supply some kind of fake invoice, then it's fraud... and you can go to jail for that.

If you send through Borderlinx, they will 'assume' a value if it is not stated on box (because it is marked as a gift) when they received them. If the implied value is lower than SGD400, you pay no tax. If higher than SGD400, you pay some tax. But if the implied value is lower than the real amount you paid, then you save on taxes. Well... this is not entirely legal too... but at least you do not need to provide a fake invoice... which is like a major offense.

Borderlinx is also faster (because shipped by DHL) and they offer free insurance on the item.

VPost has the advantage of calculating the taxes on a 'per shipment' basis when you aggregate all your items to be shipped by them. So, sometimes I ship through them also. But the max period they allow for aggregation is 2 weeks, and Borderlinx allows a whole month.

So... to me, shipping a videocam makes more sense through Borderlinx. Well... I'll leave it to you to decide. But if you ship through VPost, you pay tax for sure, or risk going to jail. ;p

If you send through Borderlinx, they will 'assume' a value if it is not stated on box (because it is marked as a gift) when they received them. If the implied value is lower than SGD400, you pay no tax. If higher than SGD400, you pay some tax. But if the implied value is lower than the real amount you paid, then you save on taxes. Well... this is not entirely legal too... but at least you do not need to provide a fake invoice... which is like a major offense.

Borderlinx is also faster (because shipped by DHL) and they offer free insurance on the item.

Will they assume a value higher than the actual value I paid?:think: You suggestion on Boderlinx sounds good, I will consider on it. Thanks. :)

It's a NTSC version. But to the naked eye, I can't see much difference between a PAL and a NTSC version. But I can see more difference in the $$ :bsmilie:

Will they assume a value higher than the actual value I paid?:think: You suggestion on Boderlinx sounds good, I will consider on it. Thanks. :)

There's a chance that may happen. But since you have the invoice, you can email it to them to adjust. So, the max is the actual tax you should pay.... and there's a very good chance they will assume a lower value.

It's a NTSC version. But to the naked eye, I can't see much difference between a PAL and a NTSC version. But I can see more difference in the $$ :bsmilie:

The resolution is the same for both, but be careful about shooting under certain lighting conditions. If you shoot 24p in Singapore you can get a lot of flickering. Even when shooting outdoors you can see the problem if you shoot, for example, a shop window which has fluorescent lights.

Check out this video I made with the Nikon D90 to see what I mean.

http://www.vimeo.com/1786094

Hi..this is is very interesting. I was considering doing the similar process to get a camcorder from the USA and using Borderlinx. The pricing is much more attractive then Singapore Was researching the possibility of doing this in S'pore and came to tis forum.

I am really a noob on this so pardon my questions:

1) Were you provided with a international warranty or only a USA warranty?
2) Is the power adaptor usable at our 230V over US 110V
3) Any critical areas to look out for in this process?

Thank you for any advise.

Hi..this is is very interesting. I was considering doing the similar process to get a camcorder from the USA and using Borderlinx. The pricing is much more attractive then Singapore Was researching the possibility of doing this in S'pore and came to tis forum.

I am really a noob on this so pardon my questions:

1) Were you provided with a international warranty or only a USA warranty?
2) Is the power adaptor usable at our 230V over US 110V
3) Any critical areas to look out for in this process?

Thank you for any advise.

You are provided with a USA warranty, which Canon Singapore does not recognise. However, I contacted Canon Singapore regarding this pricing anomaly... and they said that they are aware of it, but there is nothing they can do because of the pricing laid out by the main office. They will respect anyone's decision to purchase from overseas because they know that the pricing differs too much. As a Canon distributor, they will service any Canon product and the service charges will not differ, whether you buy in Singapore or overseas. That's what they said to me.

All these products that are meant for travel usage have dual power. But the plug is of course different. You just need to get an adaptor, or change the wire that connects to the adaptor (which is what I did). It's the same wire that connects to most Canon battery chragers.

Any critical areas? Not really. Just note that there is some risk involved in shipping, and you should be ready to bear it. ;p

Any critical areas? Not really. Just note that there is some risk involved in shipping, and you should be ready to bear it. ;p

What are the risks? Do mean damage to the unit caused by poor handling?

The resolution is the same for both, but be careful about shooting under certain lighting conditions. If you shoot 24p in Singapore you can get a lot of flickering. Even when shooting outdoors you can see the problem if you shoot, for example, a shop window which has fluorescent lights.

Check out this video I made with the Nikon D90 to see what I mean.

http://www.vimeo.com/1786094

I understand that this is due to our 50Hz voltage. But if I use a PAL cam and go to Japan or US, would I still get a flickering effect, because they are using the 60Hz voltage?

I understand that this is due to our 50Hz voltage. But if I use a PAL cam and go to Japan or US, would I still get a flickering effect, because they are using the 60Hz voltage?

Yes there will be some flickering. How much depends on the type of lighting, sometimes you just see a slight shimmering effect, other times you can get mad flashing, or anything in between.

What are the risks? Do mean damage to the unit caused by poor handling?

Well... it has not happened to me before (touch wood), but if you ship anything, there is a risk that it gets lost along the way, or it gets damaged during transit. But the packaging of the item is quite good, so the risk is minimised. Never-the-less, the risk is not negligible.

If you ship through Borderlinx, and you are honest with the value of the item (and hence pay tax), this risk is insured by them at no extra charge. But you should go read the fine prints to see if there is a cap to the insured amount.

Well... it has not happened to me before (touch wood), but if you ship anything, there is a risk that it gets lost along the way, or it gets damaged during transit. But the packaging of the item is quite good, so the risk is minimised. Never-the-less, the risk is not negligible.

If you ship through Borderlinx, and you are honest with the value of the item (and hence pay tax), this risk is insured by them at no extra charge. But you should go read the fine prints to see if there is a cap to the insured amount.

Thanks Bro...much appreciated your advise. Probably worth a risk to try. Hopefully, do not get some lemon.

Any recommendation for e-stores from the USA for video-cams?

Canon release 2 new models that attracts my attention. VIXIA HF S10 and HF S100.
If any of these are price around USD1000, I will get it, has more manual control which I'm looking for. Now waiting for the review to be out. :cool:

Last edited:
I am in US right now,for the Canon HF11 after the 8.5 sales tax, its about 935 USD, i am thinking of getting one after reading so many reviews?

Would anyone be keen to get it with me? I am thinking of buying a few sets and sell it just earn some baby powder money. Anyone know how much they cost in Singapore? I will be back home on Feb 5th.

Cheers

Last edited:
I am in US right now,for the Canon HF11 after the 8.5 sales tax, its about 935 USD, i am thinking of getting one after reading so many reviews?

Would anyone be keen to get it with me? I am thinking of buying a few sets and sell it just earn some baby powder money. Anyone know how much they cost in Singapore? I will be back home on Feb 5th.

Cheers

List price now is $2599 with some freebies including a 26" LCD TV or $400 NTUC/Taka voucher. Street price shld be in the vicinity of $2200 or so.

http://www.canon.com.sg/section/promotion/camcorders.jsp

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.