Canon G6 VS Panasonic DMC FZ20


Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanami

New Member
Jan 16, 2005
2
0
0
#1
hi new to photography so this would be my first camera.

which one should i get? panasonic offers superb zoom but noisier pics. canon not that noisy but not much zoom....

so which would be a better choice?? :think:

pls help me!! thanks in advance!! :cool:
 

#2
Exactly the question I'm banging my head about!

I'm thinking of upgrading from my present Canon S45 to either one.

I must admit that after some looking through... I'm favouring the FZ20 slightly over the G6.

However, from what I read, the FZ20 seems to have some focusing problems?

Hope that users of the FZ20 and G6 can share their experiences on the above cameras.
 

rhair78

New Member
Dec 19, 2004
1,044
0
0
Singapore
rhair78.multiply.com
#3
Nanami said:
hi new to photography so this would be my first camera.

which one should i get? panasonic offers superb zoom but noisier pics. canon not that noisy but not much zoom....

so which would be a better choice?? :think:

pls help me!! thanks in advance!! :cool:
Hi Nanami, perhaps you need to consider your needs, and how you will be utilising this camera. Take into consideration the size of the camera, and its functionalities, and how upgradable it is (accessories, like flash, filters etc).

Most important is to really fool around with the cameras in the shop, and find out which suits you best. :sweatsm:
 

rhair78

New Member
Dec 19, 2004
1,044
0
0
Singapore
rhair78.multiply.com
#4
jaix said:
Exactly the question I'm banging my head about!

I'm thinking of upgrading from my present Canon S45 to either one.

I must admit that after some looking through... I'm favouring the FZ20 slightly over the G6.

However, from what I read, the FZ20 seems to have some focusing problems?

Hope that users of the FZ20 and G6 can share their experiences on the above cameras.
Hi jaix, FZ20 user here.
I must admit the auto focus is slow and not always accurate. Thus I use the Manual Focus mode. The centre part of the display will zoom 3x so that you can focus much easier. Hope this helps to convince you to join us Lumixers! :lovegrin:
 

#5
used to own a FZ20 - the leica designed lens is supurb! it's sharp with little CA and 12 times... 25mm equiv to about 435mm? something like that... well. i must say that it IS compact and handy despite the claims that it is HUGE... it looks good too~ Highly recommend this camera - MF ring is fly by wire and is very smooth... only rant is that focusing in low light is not very good... tends to hunt a bit. low light - i mean... REALLY REALLY low light, not room or dim room... talking about REAL DARK. :)
 

Nanami

New Member
Jan 16, 2005
2
0
0
#6
hi all thanks for ur invaluable advice... went down to alan photo just now and got me a new dc... it's not G6 neither is it FZ20.... in the end i got OlympusC-8080...

is this camera any good or did i make a wrong choice? Now i'm still going through the manual waiting for the battery to be ready. Any tips to share to shoot with this camera?

thanks!!
 

#7
its a good camera the C8080 - 8mp with a decent 28-140mm zoom :) very useable! It's pretty fast too if im not wrong...f2.4... not sure if it goes all the way out to 140mm at 2.4 though - does it?

tried it before... nice weight and shot to shot time is pretty good. It reminded me of the E-10 and E-20... looks somewhat similar with the lens at the side and the side curved a little! hehehe :0 the flash stands up pretty high which i like and it's got a pretty good macro mode... 2cm or sth like that? Iso 50 is very clear... only rant is that its max is iso 400... mmm~ compensated with a fast lens i suppose. Good choice :)
 

Winston

New Member
May 11, 2003
638
0
0
Visit site
#8
ParkertR said:
its a good camera the C8080 - 8mp with a decent 28-140mm zoom :) very useable! It's pretty fast too if im not wrong...f2.4... not sure if it goes all the way out to 140mm at 2.4 though - does it?

tried it before... nice weight and shot to shot time is pretty good. It reminded me of the E-10 and E-20... looks somewhat similar with the lens at the side and the side curved a little! hehehe :0 the flash stands up pretty high which i like and it's got a pretty good macro mode... 2cm or sth like that? Iso 50 is very clear... only rant is that its max is iso 400... mmm~ compensated with a fast lens i suppose. Good choice :)
hmm 8080..nice wide angle camera. 28mm

Most ZLR start at 35mm or 38mm..

Save u the trouble of leaning back to fit ur group of family/friends into the frame in a tight cramped space...(like in a KTV room..lol)

Most Non-DSLR camera max at ISO 400, anyway...for those that dont, it's useless to go beyond 400, cos the sensor size is so small, that beyond ISO 400, the pics will be very noisy to be of much use anyway.
 

Venom81

Senior Member
Nov 16, 2004
10,489
4
38
36
#9
jaix said:
Exactly the question I'm banging my head about!

I'm thinking of upgrading from my present Canon S45 to either one.

I must admit that after some looking through... I'm favouring the FZ20 slightly over the G6.
Sinc you have S45, why don't upgrade to G6? Unless you don't like Canon liao. :think:
 

#10
Venom81 said:
Sinc you have S45, why don't upgrade to G6? Unless you don't like Canon liao. :think:
I do still like Canon... in fact the G6 was the first model that caught my attention, but later my boss (who's pretty into photography) suggested that perhaps I should consider the FZ20.

From then on... I couldn't get FZ20 out of my mind (the G6 is still there with it too)... and thus the :mad2: begins...
 

dennisc

Senior Member
Oct 24, 2002
2,039
5
38
Freezing Upp Thomson/Mandai!
#11
Given the chance of getting, FZ20 I'd rather add a little more and grab a canon DSLR instead. Since its long term. G6 is excellent too. FZ20 after zooming at some distance, the quality would deteriorate, no thanks for me (btw I own a Fz series too, from experience) .
 

dennisc

Senior Member
Oct 24, 2002
2,039
5
38
Freezing Upp Thomson/Mandai!
#13
for me zooming @ slightly lower lighting = bad
Wish I can buy a new cam too, my current cam is 4+ yrs old, just had dead pixels, oh :bheart: can't even afford a filter :bheart: :bheart:
no cam tok for me now on.
 

#14
ParkertR said:
hmm... i've owned the FZ20, zoomed out at full tele 12X and gotten nothing but sharp. unless u go digital zoom of course... i've got pix to prove :p hee
Please do post the pictures...

Wondering if you have any action shots as well?
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom