Canon G2 does not support slow-sync in manual mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fcpga

read somewhere that G2 does not have the slow-sync option in those Tv,P,Manual mode

need to set shutter speed to 1/250 or more to activate slow-sync

true?

those flash mode only got
• Auto
• Red-Eye Reduction Auto
• Red-Eye Reduction
• Flash On
• Flash Off

no sync-flash, just curious why is it so? Even a Fujifilm A101 has slow-sync option.

Originally posted by fcpga
read somewhere that G2 does not have the slow-sync option in those Tv,P,Manual mode

need to set shutter speed to 1/250 or more to activate slow-sync

true?

those flash mode only got
• Auto
• Red-Eye Reduction Auto
• Red-Eye Reduction
• Flash On
• Flash Off

no sync-flash, just curious why is it so? Even a Fujifilm A101 has slow-sync option.

Huh!? Under Manual mode, if you want slow sync, simply set your shutter speed to less than your flash sync speed, e.g. 1/30.

Under Tv, just use the desired shutter speed (below flash sync speed, again, e.g. 1/30s)

Canon's flash implementation is a bit weird if you are on Av. While other cameras will automatically set the shutter speed to the flash sync speed, Canon cameras will not, if it's in the Av mode, and will auto slow-sync if the shutter speed for the chosen aperture drops below flash sync speed.

Regards
CK

finally know what fcpga is talking about after ckiang's explanation ;p

In cameras with more manual controls, there's no need for a slow sync mode as you could set it via other means. For Casio QV2900UX, you just need to use the night mode with flash for slow sync.

sorry,

what is the flash sync speed by default?

For the Canon G1 (G2 should be similar), the X-sync speed is 1/250. That means that if you set anything slower then that, you are actually using slow-sync flash. However, in Manual mode, the flash will always fire at full blast for the G1 making it almost useless IMHO.

In fact, the G1's default behavior is slow-sync flash. I still have yet to find out if the G1 can default to 1/250 in Av mode (unlike my EOS33, which can be set easily through CF9 to 1/125).

Again, I must stress that the above applies to the G1 which I have.

Regards,
JK

Originally posted by tanjk
For the Canon G1 (G2 should be similar), the X-sync speed is 1/250. That means that if you set anything slower then that, you are actually using slow-sync flash. However, in Manual mode, the flash will always fire at full blast for the G1 making it almost useless IMHO.

In fact, the G1's default behavior is slow-sync flash. I still have yet to find out if the G1 can default to 1/250 in Av mode (unlike my EOS33, which can be set easily through CF9 to 1/125).

Again, I must stress that the above applies to the G1 which I have.

Regards,
JK

I think what's more important is the present of ttl or e-ttl in the manual mode. then u can set what ever shutter speed with any apeture of choice.

With my EOS-30, I almost exclusively use M mode for flash photography.

Originally posted by zhoufang

I think what's more important is the present of ttl or e-ttl in the manual mode. then u can set what ever shutter speed with any apeture of choice.

With my EOS-30, I almost exclusively use M mode for flash photography.

Yes, that's why I say it's almost useless for me in Manual mode since the G1 would like to pump maximum output from the flash unit. I'm a little disappointed in this area with my G1.

As for flash photography, I set to X-sync in Av mode because my subject is moving around so no choice :). I didn't want to use P-mode because the camera will set the aperture wide open and that's not the best you can get sometimes, especially at f/1.8.

Regards,
JK

Status
Not open for further replies.