Canon G12

weiqiang84

Apr 28, 2010
Hougang
Hoping to see the review of this camera??

anyone also care to share the launch date and price in SG??

i saw it at S$849 at harvey norman... cheaper then G11 launch price which is at S$899... hope to see review frm all of u...

Hi, MS selling $779, free 2 8GB memory card and screen protector, plan to drop by there tomorrow evening to check it out..... :)

thanks for sharing the pricing for the G12. wonder the other shops selling how much...

thanks for sharing the pricing for the G12. wonder the other shops selling how much...

No problem, I don't think the price will vary much, at most +/- $50 at max. G12 being not an DSLR. Happy checking! ;)

i guess since cathay is 785, the rest of the usual shops should be around 780ish...

just a website to share the comparison of Nikon D7000 vs Canon 60D and Nikon P7000 vs Canon G12..

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/09/15/hands-off-comparison-nikon-d7000-and-p7000-vs-canon-60d-and-g12/

hope u guyz like it..

A few weeks ago, I did a side by side comparison of the G9, G10, G11 and G12 cameras using the product comparison feature on DPReview. To be honest, there wasn't a lot of difference among the G10, G11 and G12 (particularly the G11 and G12). If I were in the market for one of these cameras, I think that I would be perfectly happy getting a used G10 or G11 at a much reduced price.

A few weeks ago, I did a side by side comparison of the G9, G10, G11 and G12 cameras using the product comparison feature on DPReview. To be honest, there wasn't a lot of difference among the G10, G11 and G12 (particularly the G11 and G12). If I were in the market for one of these cameras, I think that I would be perfectly happy getting a used G10 or G11 at a much reduced price.

Canon is good on this. Add a feature then release as a new model. Camera users end up asking for more. It's like "milking the cow"

Canon is good on this. Add a feature then release as a new model. Camera users end up asking for more. It's like "milking the cow"

Personally felt that this will eventually let other competitors to catch up with Canon and makes them lose their current market position of the camera user...

I would say that the market is large enough for canon to simply look at consumers who would prefer to get a brand new model as compared to a 2nd hand previous version.

Given today's Singapore consumers' purchasing power, the difference is savings (to many though not all) is not worth the hassle to:
1) hunt for a 2nd hand,
2) risk getting a 'bogus' seller,
3) not knowing how 'mint' is 'mint' rating,
4) warranty coverage,
5) and many other factors
that I would say is suffice reasons for them to simply walk in to a reputable shop and get a brand new box.

Canon's consumer cameras portfolio is large enough to move them around the BCG Growth Matrix. All in all, Canon is playing its cards very well.

Canon's consumer cameras portfolio is large enough to move them around the BCG Growth Matrix. All in all, Canon is playing its cards very well.

Yes, I agree there will always be a market for new cameras including the G12. But there will always be a strong 2nd hand market especially when Canon puts so few and marginal features in their upgrades. The proof is right here in this forum in the B&S section. Every G10 and G11 offered for sale in the last several months has been snapped up within days and many times within hours. For those who use a G series camera as their 2nd or 3rd camera, it makes little sense to spend top dollar for a new camera with marginal upgrades.

I'm not knocking the G12, it's a fine camera. But I believe that there is a strong enough impetus for a 2nd hand market in which consumers feel very little motivation to buy the latest and greatest feature set. :)

Have to agree. THere is always a place for different type of buyers. As a matter of fact, if a user already has a previous version of the G series (say the G11), there is in fact no reason for the upgrade. Just use it and till it reaches a point when the camera retires due to technology lag or simply the user has a different level of need that warrants the purchase of a better camera.