Canon G12

Get the G12! Don't hesitate. Best buy for prosumer.

Get the G12! Don't hesitate. Best buy for prosumer.

I agree that the G12 is a great camera. But for the money, I would rather buy a G10 or G11 from BnS. Not that much difference in features among them. Try the camera comparison chart on DP-Review and you can see for yourself.

I agree that the G12 is a great camera. But for the money, I would rather buy a G10 or G11 from BnS. Not that much difference in features among them. Try the camera comparison chart on DP-Review and you can see for yourself.

Second this. Especially the comparison between G11 and G12, which really make one wonder if the extra dough spent is worthwhile.

that's pretty true. since the add-ons aren't really much of a techno boost against the other (more on functionality, really) i'd say the g11 will be enough to meet your needs for a while. The bns section has a g11 running for about 550..compared to a brand spankin new g12 at 750 (approx), a save of 200 which you can maybe spend on a mini bag + etc etc or whatever. more bang for you bucks i suppose.

great. now i've just convinced myself to go get a g11 instead of a g12. hahahahaha.

can someone share the information how much is the quote for G12? Lowest? How is the shope in holland village?

Noob here. My gf's eyeing the G11 (she didn't know there was a G12) as an upgrade to her Sony T90, but I had all along thought that something like a Lumix LX5 would be better for her. The G12 seems kinda bulky for a girl, so don't know how she managed to get convinced. Was thinking of waiting till SITEX to check it out, but was wondering is the G12 really better than the LX5? Or are both considered different classes so you can't really compare.

one is bigger with a tilt screen but you lose the big aperture and wider 24mm. Other than that maybe the AVHCD depending if you do a lot of video or not.

Noob here. My gf's eyeing the G11 (she didn't know there was a G12) as an upgrade to her Sony T90, but I had all along thought that something like a Lumix LX5 would be better for her. The G12 seems kinda bulky for a girl, so don't know how she managed to get convinced. Was thinking of waiting till SITEX to check it out, but was wondering is the G12 really better than the LX5? Or are both considered different classes so you can't really compare.
S95 will be another good choice. :)

Think somehow the salesperson at the shop must have convinced her G12 produces really good shots.

Buy a used G11... same IQ.... much less expensive.

finally get G12 from SLRR at 747.
I like G12 because
1. Tilt LCD, which is very good for recording. Btw, it is 720p recording,better than G11
2. Full mannual mode and interesting SCN for play
3. Good high ISO performance.
4. The front dial which is very easy to operate like DSLR
5. It can use my canon flash. that is why i did not buy P7000, which is cheaper for 100 bucks.

finally get G12 from SLRR at 747.
I like G12 because
1. Tilt LCD, which is very good for recording. Btw, it is 720p recording,better than G11
2. Full mannual mode and interesting SCN for play
3. Good high ISO performance.
4. The front dial which is very easy to operate like DSLR
5. It can use my canon flash. that is why i did not buy P7000, which is cheaper for 100 bucks.

Congratulations on your new G12! I hope that it provides you with many cherished photos! :cool:

Took the G12 from my bro who got it for his Cambodia trip recently. After playing around it for awhile, I have to conclude that point and shoot technology has definitely make great leaps. Almost everything is too good to be true. Again, this cannot be compared to a DSLR since it is not apple to apple comparison. As a compact, I think this camera does have a class of its own.

I particularly like the macro capabilities and the noise control. Since this thread is already on G12, I will not open another one to post some of the pics that I took while having a chance to hold it before my young brother wants it back. I am seriously contemplating getting one :think:

(1)
Close up shot of mini cream puff
macro_01.jpg

(2)
A piece of cake
macro_02.jpg

Will post more pictures later.

Last edited:
Just to share

Back from Hong Kong, bought a G12 for HK$3600 including local warranty.

Today's exchange rate from marine parade S$1 = HK$5.98

which brings the camera price at S$602 include a 2gb SD card as a freebie.

Just to share

Nice catch! Hong Kong is definitely the place to shop!

Just to share

A G12 in HK is the same price as a G11 in SG...