canon G11 or SLR1000D?

li lin

Jun 26, 2008
price-wise, they are close if i get 2nd hand sets.

so what do you experts feel? put aside size n weight.

thanks!!

Why putting size and weight aside? Go and feel the cameras, see what fits your hand best. Apart from this you need to make up your mind about what you want: a good pocket cam or the flexibility of a DSLR. What are you shooting? Are you prepared for the consecutive expenses for DSLR? (lenses, storage, tripod..) Do you just want something 'ready to use' in your pocket that doesn't take much space?
A technical comparison doesn't make much sense. Decide according needs and purpose.

Your surname Wong? :bsmilie:

I'd take a DSLR any day, but that's just my opinion.
The main disadvantage of a DSLR is greater size and weight. If you put that aside, nothing else negative... :)

thanks!!
depends use for what.

rather then the 1000D, should really take a look at the Pentax Kx.

If you dont intend to invest in DSLR but like the controls and would like to use the camera for travel, i would recommend the Canon SX20 IS which uses AA batteries.

Take the DSLR for better image quality :)

I think it also depends on what stage you're at with regards to your learning curve for photography. I was contemplating a low-end DSLR and the G11 when I first picked up the interest in November last year. I asked around friends who were more serious photographers, and in the end I bought the G11.

If you're a beginner and just starting out, the G11 will provide you with sufficient manual controls for you to adjust your settings. Getting a DSLR will involve further additional costs, such as lenses, storage, etc, as what Octarine has mentioned. I'm looking at getting a DSLR in the near future, but right now I'm also looking at the cost, availability and quality of the respective brands' lenses and other accessories before deciding which brand to go for. From your two choices in your question, I'm guessing you're just starting out (like me), so you decide how much you're prepared to spend on this hobby for yourself.

If money isn't a problem, then you can buy whatever you want. But if you're restricted by a small budget, I would recommend you get the G11, play around with it, find out what you like to shoot and learn the basics. When you have a clearer idea, take it from there.

Just my two cents.

Welcome to CS :)
There are so many other models out there & why just consider only these two? Have you read about the others yet? If you are keen in photography, go straight into getting a DSLR.
But, please do your homework 1st. Go to the shops & have a feel of the cameras & see how it fits onto your hands. Check out the features & narrow down your search then decide ;)

if you want to learn photography, then go for DSLR for better control and image quality (of course there are plenty of threads on the subject of man behind the cam).

Always go for the highest you could afford, if you are new to photography, you need all the technology help you could get. Manual control on a G11 is different from manual control on a DSLR. There will be loads of people telling you that "if you are good, you can take stunning pictures with a G11", I agree but remember, "only if you are good".:)

you couls almost have the best of both like me getting into the m4/3 system with cams like panasonic GF-1, Olympus EP series

My gf-1 follows me almost everyday! there's a new oly EP-L1 entry model coming out in march :)

side point - i'm not a Wong, sorry to disappoint. :D

hey, thanks to all of you for very good advice.
didn't expect such overwhelming response.

NIGHT86MARE, great info at your link. very helpful.

had a digital compact for some time.
years ago, owned an SLR. so i know the pics which can come out of it. but hadn't been playing with one for a few years. no time and no money. come to think of it, now also no difference. :bsmilie:
have a trip coming up in june and there'll be alot of opportunities for stunning scenic shots.

so, what do u think? g11 will do the job? Nikkonnew said 'only if you are good'. wow, i wonder how good that is.

any comparable prosumer?

I guess what Nikonnew meant is that if you really utilize a prosumer to its limits, you could quite easily take photos that will outperform those from a DSLR in the hands of a noob.
Take for example a cityscape shot of Singapore CBD from esplanade waterfront.
Mount a prosumer onto a sturdy tripod, meter properly, set the correct settings for aperture, shutter speed, ISO, white balance, etc, and you could probably get a brilliant shot.

I personally would still choose a Canon 1000D over a Canon G11 if it's for my personal use (walk-around, holiday, etc).

so, what do u think? g11 will do the job? Nikkonnew said 'only if you are good'. wow, i wonder how good that is.

any comparable prosumer?

i like the g11 because it gives you an nd filter despite the f/8 limitation - in camera. not sure how many stops it is , but it 'd come in useful for sure.

naturally if you'd read my article a dslr would still be different. g11 is touted as a compact for people to use when they don't want to travel too heavy.

whenever i think of g11, i think of royce howland from naturescapes. he's the executive editor, and he has both 7d and 5d mark II, but his g10 work is just as great:

http://www.vividaspect.com/pix/Best...TrailBowRiverBanffSpringsHotel_0002_1_NSN.jpg

If you're going to invest more on photography later on (better lenses, flashes, etc), get the DSLR. If you just want to stop at having a camera, get the G11

If you're going to invest more on photography later on (better lenses, flashes, etc), get the DSLR. If you just want to stop at having a camera, get the G11

can't someone get the 1000D kit and just stop there?
I see lots of people walking around with entry DSLR kit only...

IMHO:

If you have a keen interest in photography...then go ahead and get the 1000D cos it's really quite a good beginner's camera even just with the kit lens ( it is oso light enough for travel ). If your intention is just to get a slightly better camera for your upcoming trip then just get the G11 or S90 or LX3. These few high end compacts has oredi had quite a good reputation for their quality and will definitely help you capture lots of wonderful photos. In fact i'm pretty sure many of the DSLR owners oso has a high end compact for lighter moments.

If you do not intend or do not have the capability to spend more money in future, then just stick to PnS cos once you step unto DSLR...you will not stop there. You will need to buy bags/cards/batterries/flash/filters/tripod/accessories and lenses....it's not a cheap hobby which i'm sure many of us found out later too hahaha !!!

My 2 cents.....

if u dont mind the size.. get a entry level DLSR.. it will 'last' longer :p ... u learn more too

thanks for all your two cents' worth. :)

still reading up.....