Canon G11 or S90

Status
Not open for further replies.
ponders, i read some of the post, thought u are a lumix user? since u already did some underwater shot, mayb u can advise me on photography underwater! lol
maybe can get our camera together also haha, although u getting S90, i getting G11! lol, or maybe i will change my mind!

I personally own a Lumix, but it was since the time i just started diving so i just thought i buy a UW case for my camera and thought of nothing else.

But as 2 years gone by, i think i need something that give better picture quality (see my other thread regarding white balance).

So the past few dives i have been borrowing G10, Ixus 860, Canon 610, Canon A85(?), all of which have been giving consistently good white balance compared to Lumix.

Advise on photography underwater... ask the experts. I am just a "Land" photography that just got into underwater and i don't think I am planning to go strobe. The nearest thing i go strobe is getting a wide beam LED light to light up the object, otherwise i guess i will stick to available lighting.

For S90, i was quoted $680... but i am trying to get the privileged purchase scheme.. from the other thread i heard its going for $595.

nope, the air in the housing is still at 1 atm pressure, simply because it is a rigid case. the lack of tactile feedback is due to the springs and the use of a button instead of a shutter release lever

you might want to read up a little on the physics of diving..it will give you a much better understanding of the activity and how it affects you underwater.

of course, you can always fill up the inside with water to make sure there is no empty air space in the housing?

Did my homework you suggested.

Yup, it does stay at 1atm, but while doing so, it mentions too at higher atms, the O-rings compress further as the water pressure acts on the casing.

I guess that might be the cause of the lack of tactile feedback?

si bei chim, on the pressure thing!!! lol, Noob here!!!

Don't worry.

Just make sure your oring is clean and undamaged (not even a slight kink).

Grease it very very lightly everytime you encase your camera.

Advisable, during your first dive of the trip, dive with an empty casing.

Also, place a packet of silica gel inside the case along with camera.

At night at your hotel room, if it is air con, leave it open BUT not just under the air con.

Flush with fresh water as soon as you surface.

If you do all these, no need to care about the pressure thing, just don't go under the Rated Depth..

Don't worry.

Just make sure your oring is clean and undamaged (not even a slight kink).

Grease it very very lightly everytime you encase your camera.

Advisable, during your first dive of the trip, dive with an empty casing.

Also, place a packet of silica gel inside the case along with camera.

At night at your hotel room, if it is air con, leave it open BUT not just under the air con.

Flush with fresh water as soon as you surface.

If you do all these, no need to care about the pressure thing, just don't go under the Rated Depth..

I think the pressure thing is in relation to the lack of feedback when using the shutter release button on the canon housing and not the general use of the camera in the housing. Anyway just read that the S90 is rated to 290 shots only per charge, and i think that number is only when you use flash half the time. So the camera battery doesn't look like it'll last a full day of diving. Hmmmm... :thumbsd:

Current price
Canon G11 S$795 - Alan Photo
U/W casing S$340 - OceanicFocus

awaiting another quote from MS Color...

i also got this quote! lol
didnt ask the rest.. oceanicfocus quoting ikelite case for g11 for 800+

Current price
Canon G11 S$795 - Alan Photo
U/W casing S$340 - OceanicFocus

awaiting another quote from MS Color...

i am interested in getting the package as well. the u/w case above is a canon i guess? and the other an ikelite...how come so much difference? thks for yr help?

i think cause different company.. lol.. different product!! haha although serve the same purpose! when u all getting the camera?

Hey ppl, I'm interested in this package too (G11 + canon u/w). pm me.

MS Color quote

Canon G11 S$799 (FOC 2 x 8GB SD cards)
Canon U/W housing S$280

heard that Sitex 2009 may have good deal... going 2morrow ;)

799 + 280 is quite a good deal, compared to oceanicfocus quoting at 340 for casing!
thought sitex n tose computer fair are selling at those retail price.. 899!!!!! plus alot of unwanted freebies!

MS Color quote

Canon G11 S$799 (FOC 2 x 8GB SD cards)
Canon U/W housing S$280

heard that Sitex 2009 may have good deal... going 2morrow ;)

canon@SITEX quote

canon G11 S$855 (foc 3 x 8 Gb card, one pc bag, one tripod)
u/w casing--"i donch know when got stock" unquote.

I think the pressure thing is in relation to the lack of feedback when using the shutter release button on the canon housing and not the general use of the camera in the housing. Anyway just read that the S90 is rated to 290 shots only per charge, and i think that number is only when you use flash half the time. So the camera battery doesn't look like it'll last a full day of diving. Hmmmm... :thumbsd:

aiyo ... even now i still change batt after 2 dive ...
no matter wat ... better be safe than sorry!!
experience too many time liao ... scare!! :D

Isn't it more scary to open a housing in the middle of a dive day or between dives?? :think:

well, what is the different change batt between dive or after all the dive? ;p
if can't do it properly, anytime change also can happen flood. :angel:
maybe is just me ;)

Hey all,
im so into S90, intending to get it anyway, how do i get the special purchasing plan! :)

Hey all,
im so into S90, intending to get it anyway, how do i get the special purchasing plan! :)

as i understand it.. you can bring any Canon branded camera (film or digital) to CSC at Vivo.

you can't get it right away i think have to make a reservation..

do tell me your experience, i am getting it (S90) as soon as I go back singapore after this overseas assignment.

well, what is the different change batt between dive or after all the dive? ;p
if can't do it properly, anytime change also can happen flood. :angel:
maybe is just me ;)

Well the less times you do it, the less chance? Plus in between dives sometimes on a rock boat or a dark place not suitable for delicate work? you get the drift. :nono:
That's why u/w photographers prefer camera batteries to last at least a day's worth of diving to save the hassle. And that was one of the big complaints of the G9 compared to the G10. The G9 was a very popular camera in it's time, the biggest complaint was the battery only lasted 2 dives or so.

as i understand it.. you can bring any Canon branded camera (film or digital) to CSC at Vivo.

you can't get it right away i think have to make a reservation..

do tell me your experience, i am getting it (S90) as soon as I go back singapore after this overseas assignment.

Hi there,

i read from other threads that the buyback program is only valid for dslr cameras, not prosumer cameras. i will need this camera as i'm leaving overseas for work. none the less, i'll give it a try tomorrow, will head down to vivocity later to check out with canon staffs. and drop by at marina square to check things out as well... :)

i'm also interested in getting 1+2, 1+4 years warranty. it cost $70/$90 (direct canon) and $200+(agents) respectively..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.