Canon, Fuji and Nikon can you guess which?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loupisk

Nov 8, 2005
AMK life
www.modelmayhem.com
I have today on my table a Nikon 70 D, a Canon 30D and a Fujifilm S2Pro.

I took in my garden the same pics with a 50 mm at F8 with priority to the aperture. Iso 200.

Knowing the characteristics of each camera:

1) Without considering these pictures which camera would you prefer?
2) Can you guess which photo is from which camera and
2) Which picture is the best for you? (I know there are all bad, I am just interested in how the cameras are behaving)

These are snapshots straight out of the camera no PS at all!

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

kcuf2

Dec 29, 2005
KFC
haha..i can see the exif... 1st is fuji, 2nd nikon, 3rd canon :)

user12343

May 15, 2005
no need to guess, first one is fuji, second is nikon, and third is canon. it's all in the exif:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

buta on a more serious note, what gears used ain't matter, IMHO, the cam gears should be as transparent as possible, w/o adding unwanted coloration, hue shifts, artifacts, etc to the final picture...

justarius

Nov 9, 2003
Northeast
Visit site
I'd guessed that the 2nd one is Nikon, with it's characteristic underexposure. Wasn't too sure which was the Fuji or Canon though, cause am not familiar with those two.

zac08

Feb 21, 2005
East
markccm said:
all were diff poses.

was the exposure the same?
The more important thing... focusing and metering on the same point and lighting?

eow

Jun 22, 2004
not a good comparsion... all the exposure diff from one another

Klose

Feb 15, 2005
No QC. Test fail. :sweat:

black.ink

Feb 5, 2006
:think: i managed to guess correctly without reading ahead or instinctly at the exif

since i thought metering could be off (and that the pics posted were jpeg-compressed), i was trying to make a personal challenge out of taking my best guess via other known characteristics, as like you dont need to actually see a Ferrari run to know its a Ferrari.

so here I 'felt' that..
- 1st pic had a slightly greater dynamic range, ie the black shirt on the right shoulder of the baby holder compared to the other 2, or the green fencing across the back
- whereas the 2 key differences between 2nd and 3rd pic were
i. in the 3rd pic, this slightly smooth texture of the background, esp the concrete stand of the bbq pit, as i understand Canon has known to be capable of this characteristic silky output due to lower ISO bases, since its obviously an ample daylight shoot.
ii. the 2nd pic has this, pardon, strangely mildly dull/unprocessed overtone across the whole pic, that is again characteristic of Nikon tendency (to underexposure?)

i hope my basis of assessment was in the right direction

Loupisk

Nov 8, 2005
AMK life
www.modelmayhem.com
He! He! Thanks for your feedback. Just did it for fun. In fact, I wanted to check if mving from Nikon to Canon was the thing to do?

BTW picturees were taken with spot metering.

I compared the three cameras and my feneral impressions are :

S2Pro : Big bulky, slow to operate, not as sharp as the two others but still great pics and colours. The best in that sense. Uses the great Nikon lenses.
D70 : Compact, light, reasonably fast and good results except skin tones. Good sharpness. Rates in between S2pro and 30D. I still lovethe feel and built of the Nikon lenses.
30D : Great body built, a bit heavier, super fast operation and very accurate menu with a lot of settings. Great sharpness but skin tones are a bit pinkish and does not works the best under artificial light. The feel and design is that you are holding a gothic camera. All black! I did not like the deisign and the Canon lenses are really not seductively built.

My conclusion,I will stay with Nikon due to the fact that I do not need a pro speed operation that the Canon offers and the photgraphic results are still too close to justify the jump.

The day Canon offer a full frame for that kind of price, it is bye bye Nikon ;)

Nikon is still behind Canon in the digital race, they 'd better come up with a full frame soon.

Klose

Feb 15, 2005
So means you are selling your 30D? :think:

tanwn

Feb 4, 2006
what are you trying to proof? I think it's very meaningless and useless. There are so many variables involved. Please post with proper setup and equipment used at the end of the test.

Dec 9, 2005
tanwn said:
what are you trying to proof? I think it's very meaningless and useless. There are so many variables involved. Please post with proper setup and equipment used at the end of the test.

I agree. The test should be a controlled test, same lighting, same camera angle, same lens, gray card, resolution chart, color checker and prefably with a person in the shot to compare skin tones. Look at dpreview, their tests are done in an almost scientific way, once you look at the images you can actually see the difference.

Frankly, I think the metering was off. The exposures all looked slightly different from one another.

Just my $0.02.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom