Canon FD 28mm f/2.8 S.C. (breech mount)


Status
Not open for further replies.

fWord

Senior Member
Jun 23, 2005
3,350
0
0
37
Melbourne, Australia
Good day!

Had just a few questions about this old lens...hope some of you will be able to advise me on it.

1. This lens has a different mount and is probably not compatible with a camera such as the 350D. But are there adapters available on the market to make it work? It would work almost like a manual focus 50mm prime on a 1.6X crop camera, even if two stops slower.

2. How much does it cost to clean fungus from a lens? The front element looks quite clean, but it's the rear element that I am worried about. Any chances that this lens can return to work after cleaning?

3. How much is this lens worth if in good condition and fungus-free?

Thank you...hope to hear any comments or answers from you.
 

tingchiyen

Member
Jan 28, 2004
297
0
16
42
Central
fWord said:
Good day!

Had just a few questions about this old lens...hope some of you will be able to advise me on it.

1. This lens has a different mount and is probably not compatible with a camera such as the 350D. But are there adapters available on the market to make it work? It would work almost like a manual focus 50mm prime on a 1.6X crop camera, even if two stops slower.

2. How much does it cost to clean fungus from a lens? The front element looks quite clean, but it's the rear element that I am worried about. Any chances that this lens can return to work after cleaning?

3. How much is this lens worth if in good condition and fungus-free?

Thank you...hope to hear any comments or answers from you.
1. Yes, it's been discussed before actually, do a search.

2. Yes. Depends on how mucked-up it is. Anywhere between $70 - $120.

3. A couple hundred, if you can find the right buyer. It's rare to begin with, not many people use the FD mount anymore. However, it's a good lens.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/earlyfdlenses/28mmfd.htm#f2.8
 

fWord

Senior Member
Jun 23, 2005
3,350
0
0
37
Melbourne, Australia
tingchiyen said:
1. Yes, it's been discussed before actually, do a search.

2. Yes. Depends on how mucked-up it is. Anywhere between $70 - $120.

3. A couple hundred, if you can find the right buyer. It's rare to begin with, not many people use the FD mount anymore. However, it's a good lens.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/earlyfdlenses/28mmfd.htm#f2.8
Thank you for your quick reply. I didn't have a lot of luck with the search, so I thought it would be faster, and also more accurate to try for a specific response here.

Reason why I'm interested in this is because I just spotted this in a thrift shop. No price tag on it yet, but I reckon it wouldn't be selling for much. There's definitely signs of some feathery fungal growth on the rear element, but I'm not too sure if its etched the glass beyond repair.

How much is an adapter to a bayonet mount going to cost? I got a feeling I might be better off buying a second-hand EF 28mm/2.8 instead of trying to revive this baby...unless its really rare and worth trying.
 

tingchiyen

Member
Jan 28, 2004
297
0
16
42
Central
if you're using a 350d, get an EF mount. there's no point spending so much money on the FD lens + FD-EOS adaptor just to get manual focus + exposure, unless you already have a big stock of expensive FD lenses (like large zooms) and want to migrate them to an EOS body.
 

fWord

Senior Member
Jun 23, 2005
3,350
0
0
37
Melbourne, Australia
tingchiyen said:
if you're using a 350d, get an EF mount. there's no point spending so much money on the FD lens + FD-EOS adaptor just to get manual focus + exposure, unless you already have a big stock of expensive FD lenses (like large zooms) and want to migrate them to an EOS body.
Heheh...true. But thankfully, I'm just starting out with a DSLR, so I don't have a big amount of lenses either way. It just intrigued me to see such an old (but possibly compatible) lens sitting tucked away in the cupboard of a shop. For a moment, I thought I could use this and it'll be a really cool 'toy'.

It's old, but I had a play with it and absolutely loved the build and the smooth feel. Just wonder why they no longer make things like that these days.
 

tingchiyen

Member
Jan 28, 2004
297
0
16
42
Central
if you buy me a coffee, i'll let you play with my FD 85/1.2L, you ain't seen nothing yet... =)
 

fWord

Senior Member
Jun 23, 2005
3,350
0
0
37
Melbourne, Australia
tingchiyen said:
if you buy me a coffee, i'll let you play with my FD 85/1.2L, you ain't seen nothing yet... =)
:bsmilie: No offense, but I'll pass on that. If the sweat on my hands causes your lens to corrode, I won't be able to pay you back even with my entire bank account! But wow, using all this vintage equipment must make you look like an interesting sight.

And I think even then, you're less likely to get your camera snatched than the fella holding a DSLR standing next to you!
 

fWord

Senior Member
Jun 23, 2005
3,350
0
0
37
Melbourne, Australia
Well, just thought to pose this question to everyone:

How much does an FD to EOS mount adapter cost and where can I find one?
 

ricohflex

Senior Member
Feb 24, 2005
3,631
38
48
sing
tingchiyen said:
if you buy me a coffee, i'll let you play with my FD 85/1.2L, you ain't seen nothing yet... =)
used to have this a long time ago. sold it.
 

ricohflex

Senior Member
Feb 24, 2005
3,631
38
48
sing
fWord said:
Well, just thought to pose this question to everyone:

How much does an FD to EOS mount adapter cost and where can I find one?
Beware those who tell you their adapter is special, no need for glass in between, made in XX country, very special (maybe also special high price)
Then in later part they will tell you, this adapter only for close up cannot shoot infinity.

Alamak..... that is why you need glass in between so you can focus to infinity.

Optics is physics.
And with physics, that is where the CRAP ends.
Anyway people will believe what they want to.

Do not worry about the glass, it will not degrade the photo that much. :)

Canon makes an original adapter which they clearly state is for macro only (no glass).
Hama makes one with glass and can focus to infinity.
 

fWord

Senior Member
Jun 23, 2005
3,350
0
0
37
Melbourne, Australia
ricohflex said:
Beware those who tell you their adapter is special, no need for glass in between, made in XX country, very special (maybe also special high price)
Then in later part they will tell you, this adapter only for close up cannot shoot infinity.

Alamak..... that is why you need glass in between so you can focus to infinity.

Optics is physics.
And with physics, that is where the CRAP ends.
Anyway people will believe what they want to.

Do not worry about the glass, it will not degrade the photo that much. :)

Canon makes an original adapter which they clearly state is for macro only (no glass).
Hama makes one with glass and can focus to infinity.
Maybe I'm thinking along the wrong track here, but I was actually searching for information on an adapter that's required to make this old lens usable with the new EOS cameras, in particular, the EOS 350D. If it doesn't cost much to get something like that, and I can find the lens itself in the B&S, I'd gladly buy this over the new EF 28mm f/2.8 lens, just for the built and look alone.

And I am a sucker for old stuff as well.
 

benny

Senior Member
Nov 13, 2002
2,366
1
38
51
Tokyo, Japan
Visit site
The FD- EOS lens mount adapter itself cost more than a EF 50 mm F1.8 lens. And you need to add another 0.25 X multiplier effect on certain models. Not to mention that some does not allow you to focus to infinity.

Worthless exercise.

Cheer,
 

fWord

Senior Member
Jun 23, 2005
3,350
0
0
37
Melbourne, Australia
benny said:
The FD- EOS lens mount adapter itself cost more than a EF 50 mm F1.8 lens. And you need to add another 0.25 X multiplier effect on certain models. Not to mention that some does not allow you to focus to infinity.

Worthless exercise.

Cheer,
Thank you for your response. Well, this pretty much clears it up for me. Much as I'd like to use one of these with my camera, it's turned from a 'maybe' situation into a 'no-go'. I'll try to hunt down a typical 28mm f/2.8 then, if I'd like to try my hands at a 50mm equivalent prime.
 

fWord

Senior Member
Jun 23, 2005
3,350
0
0
37
Melbourne, Australia
Slivester said:
I saw some really awkward FD lenses in Cash Converter, can't believe they are actually selling them.
Yes, they definitely have an unusual mount, like two metal hooks sticking out from the back. Elsewhere however, the appearence is just stunning...smart black, engraved numerals etc.

Sometimes it's things like these that tempt me to sell my camera and try an old film camera...like a Canon AE-1 (?), or a cheap Zenit. But seeing that I can hardly even handle my current camera, there's no reason to challenge myself further with something that requires more fiddling to get a photo.
 

Ris Goh

New Member
Jul 27, 2004
857
0
0
.... just a little info...

the EF28f2.8 goes for about $200++ 2nd hand... i won't recommend the FD lens due to compatibility issues.

if you wanna try old lens maybe can try looking at M42 screw mount ones that goes for $100++... an M42 to eos adapter cost less than $50 (i think around $30+) and there're lots of cheap used lens out there to play around with..... and they are usually very small and unobtrusive, if this is your priority.....

:)
 

powergoo

Senior Member
Dec 13, 2005
1,262
5
38
I still have some FD lenses. I love the lenses and their colours are really saturated and beautiful. I still have two versions of the F-1 to use them.

The FD breeach lock comes in two shapes. The older breecg ring type and new breech lock where you turn the lens like a bayonet mount lens.

FD adapter mount comes in 2 version.
With optical elements (migt degrade image) inside. This will allow infinity focus, but has a multiplier effect (bad for wide angle) .

The one w/o optical element from what I read allows infinity focus for lenses of 200 or 300mm focal lemgth and beyond.

Otherwise use them as reverse lens for macro use.

I would think, the FD28 is valued below S$200
 

Status
Not open for further replies.