Canon EOS Vs Nikon D

llliang

Nov 10, 2010
Hi bros, I am new here. It is nice to find a reliable community for photographers. IT show is coming and I am considering to buy a DSLR cam, thus I would need masters' advices here.

I have been using pocket cam (Canon Digital Ixus 90 IS) + Photoshop all the time. I used photoshop to edit the contrast, level, vintedge, B/W, washed color, etc. Now I would like to buy a DSLR that will help me reduce the amount of time utilized for retouching photo.

I have been seeing a review for Nikon D3100 and Canon EOS 550D. It seems that both are almost the same in terms of quality but Canon is ahead in term of price. I also read that Nikon D3100 is similar to Nikon D5000 except for the HD movie recording feature. I also heard that Canon is food for skin tone while Nikon is good for outdoor.

I will use it for outdoor photography but with people as the object. My budget is around SGD 1000 - 1500.

Any recommendation and reason for me? I have used my company's Canon EOS 500D wide lens camera, but I could not find any feature to add effect to the photo.

Thank you for your help bros.

Please read the "What DSLR to get?" sticky at the top of this forum.

u have to go feel both cameras in your hands to see if it is comfortable before you think of the features.

no point buying a camera that doesn't fits well in your hands (in terms of handling).

Hi bros, I am new here. It is nice to find a reliable community for photographers. IT show is coming and I am considering to buy a DSLR cam, thus I would need masters' advices here.

If you search the forum for a bit, you'll find lots of forumers urging people to NOT BUY at IT shows since the trusted shops always have better offers all year round.

I have been using pocket cam (Canon Digital Ixus 90 IS) + Photoshop all the time. I used photoshop to edit the contrast, level, vintedge, B/W, washed color, etc. Now I would like to buy a DSLR that will help me reduce the amount of time utilized for retouching photo.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you'll have to spend more time retouching especially if you shoot RAW format.

I have been seeing a review for Nikon D3100 and Canon EOS 550D. It seems that both are almost the same in terms of quality but Canon is ahead in term of price. I also read that Nikon D3100 is similar to Nikon D5000 except for the HD movie recording feature. I also heard that Canon is food for skin tone while Nikon is good for outdoor.

Dunno about video, but skin tones and what not can be corrected in post process.

I will use it for outdoor photography but with people as the object. My budget is around SGD 1000 - 1500.

Try any of the entry level DSLR from all makers.

Any recommendation and reason for me? I have used my company's Canon EOS 500D wide lens camera, but I could not find any feature to add effect to the photo.

You want Art Filters then? Entry level DSLR (and micro 4/3?) have 'em in excess, but nothing compared to the new PnS. (Not sure on this either. Never did bother with these filters)

I also heard that Canon is food for skin tone while Nikon is good for outdoor.

FYI that's rubbish. So what would you do if I told you that Sony was best for skintone and Olympus for outdoors? Or that Hasselblad is best for skintone and Pentax for outdoor?

Now I would like to buy a DSLR that will help me reduce the amount of time utilized for retouching photo.

An SLR will not reduce the time spent on PP. In fact, you'll have more work to do esp if you're shooting RAW.

welcome to CS . . . ;)

the sticky notes is good good place for you to start before purchasing your camera . . . :)

both cameras you mentioned are good and within your budget . . . :)

Bros/sis here will not recommend that you get it from IT show . . . :think:

I give you 2 recommendations:

1) DO NOT buy a new DSLR at IT Show, or any of those 'fairs', for that matter. You actually end up paying for the 'freebies', most of which you'd junk after a while. I learnt the hard way as well :cry:
2) Find out more before buying, and do widen your search to include other brands besides Canon and Nikon. There are plenty of viable alternatives.

If your purpose is to reduce the amount of time utilized for retouching photo, you need to get a better PnS. DSLR will exponentially increase the amount of time required for post processing in Photoshop or any other software. Sorry to burst your bubble.

You want fun effects to add to photo in camera, look for a consumer, or prosumer PnS camera. My recommendation is that you stay away from DSLR, since DSLR do not need your needs for less PP and fun effects in camera.

Last edited:
You can fun effects to add to photo in camera, look for a consumer, or prosumer PnS camera. My recommendation is that you stay away from DSLR, since DSLR do not need your needs for less PP and fun effects in camera.

Didn't the new pentax any olympus models have all these built-in filters?

In general though, they look worse than if you did it manually in PS.

Didn't the new pentax any olympus models have all these built-in filters?

In general though, they look worse than if you did it manually in PS.

You said it in the 2nd line. Built in filters ain't that good.

Confusing hor? A says this good. B says that good. I say everything good. Everybody say everything good. Then how how??? :sweat:

Confusing hor? A says this good. B says that good. I say everything good. Everybody say everything good. Then how how??? :sweat:

What if I say everything no good? die..... :bsmilie:

use iPhone... tonnes of different effects possible with all the apps available :D

Welcome to cs!

As most people had mentioned, look around and do more researching before u make ur purchase.. I think compacts will suit u better since u r looking to art filters and less pp.. getting a dslr will definitely not reduce pp.. and most don't have art filters.. esp those above entry levels I guess..

Just my 2 cents :)

Dear bros and sis thank you for your reply. Sorry for missing out that sticky note as I skimmed through the paras.

Wow I never know that IT show's price tends to be higher for DSLR. Luckily I came to the right place. Better ask than sorry rite haha. Can I say that the shops listed on "Guide to DLSR photography for Newbies + Product/Price/Outlet List" thread is trust able.

@Baracus any recommendation on when to buy and where to buy to get the best offer available. Thanks bro.

Yup, the list of shops listed are reputable ones.. anyway, just give them a call or drop them an email for quotes before you go down.. saves the trouble of running many places ;)

Last edited:
Dear bros and sis thank you for your reply. Sorry for missing out that sticky note as I skimmed through the paras.

Wow I never know that IT show's price tends to be higher for DSLR. Luckily I came to the right place. Better ask than sorry rite haha. Can I say that the shops listed on "Guide to DLSR photography for Newbies + Product/Price/Outlet List" thread is trust able.

@Baracus any recommendation on when to buy and where to buy to get the best offer available. Thanks bro.

Where to buy? Refer to the "Product/Price/Outlet List"
When to buy? When new model comes out, you buy the earlier models instead at slashed prices. :bsmilie: But seriously, the price doesn't change much from launch to replacement. Then again, I could be wrong. Most of my gear is 2nd hand from the BnS here. ;p