Canon EOS R5

Game changer 8K video. First time Canon has IBIS for mirrorless ILC. They labeled this R5. Which is Canon's way of telling you what to expect in future.
In Canon nomenclature, that means they have some things even better in the R&D process to be labeled R3 and then R1 for the flagship.
I expect the 8K video to be cropped. It will be a seismic shock to competitors if the 8K video is Full Frame.

Reactions: Ah Keong
From Canon USA 14 March 2020 Press release on R5, as mentioned in Jared Polin Youtube video dated 14 March 2020.

"The EOS R5 will record internal 8K video capture up to 29.97fps, using the full width of the image sensor and will feature Canon's revolutionary Dual
Pixel CMOS AF technology in all 8K recording modes."

That is what they say now.
Wait and see if Canon cripples R5 in some way in the final product.
Canon is famous for cripple hammer, i.e. to purposely disable some of the product's abilities which it was already capable of.

Cripple to protect some of the company's other incompetent products that will not sell, if this product was magnificent.
Cripple so as to leave room for R3 and R1 which will have better features and specifications and higher prices.

Price is the problem. If very expensive then ordinary people cannot afford.
Still, it is good for Canon to have supposed improvement in R5.

NASA scientists call this process of innovation at the leading edge of technology "pushing the envelope"

Last edited:
Soon, we'll see if Canon will fire up on all cylinders.
I'll settle for a used RP when this is release. then hopefully it's like $800 :) used

So far the news have not disappoint...except for the Canon bashers :)

Wow, it looks amazing.
probably will be best camera of the year.

The price is really "best" too.
Any idea which shop has the best of best price?

Reactions: Michaelavaloke2009
R5 is very good but costly.

Because it is aimed at lower budget, the R6 is the real killer camera - because it will affect the competing brands.
The R6 is a wise strategy by Canon.
Not too crippled (like RP). Not too expensive.
R6 is the model to draw in new buyers into the Canon RF system.

Once they are in, later they can buy higher end body, if they wish.
With adapter still can use Eos EF lenses.
20.1 MP enough for some. Get R5 if you want 45MP.
Low light performance (especially in video)
Low luminance AF sensitivity of up to EV -6.5.
Video capability is important.
And it has 2 UHS II SD card slots. And 8 stop IBIS. 4K video 60p.

Headphone jack, Microphone jack (important for Video users). Articulating screen.

I suppose Canon R6 is the 2020 answer to the 1976 Canon AE-1(which was extremely popular in US) - in terms of big volume of sales to the masses.

R5 is made in Japan. From R5 brochure in Canon Singapore Website.
When you pay SGD$6,200, will you be happy if it is "Made in Vietnam" or "Made in Thailand"?
Sure, it MAY be just as good, but after paying so much will you feel good about it as an owner?

That may be one of the probable reasons why Olympus Camera Division collapsed.
They failed to consider the psychology of the buyers.
A multi-thousand dollar camera is not in the same product genre as an overpriced $200 shoe (many sneaker brands made in Vietnam factories).

Last edited:
Hmm.... The price to record 8k with cf express is so ex plus the overheat issue, weak battery life etc.. Hmm... Think might be hard to sell.

Ouch.... hope EOS does not stand for Expensive Overpriced System. But R6 is the optimal balance of price + features. Not the R5.
However, not everyone wants to shoot 8K video with R5 for long periods of time. (heating issue). Well, maybe 1% of the buyers.
The CFast 512GB card cost US$700. It takes a costly high spec computer to edit 8K video.

R5 List price in US is US$3900 which works out to be about S$5420. That means a price difference of almost S$800 compared to US pricing. Any idea why the big difference? Even factoring in GST that's high (the difference is 2x GST).

Last edited:
Extra SGD$800 charged.
Maybe the movie Crazy Rich Asians gave others the wrong impression that Singaporeans are rich?

US is poor. US national debt is US$22 TRILLION.
US had printed mountains of fiat currency paper money with no gold backing in 3 QEs and 1 special QE for Covid-19.

Last edited:
For me, I'll probably wait then. If the markup just for regional difference is so high, it'll be a matter of time before I can get it on the grey market for maybe $1k less? Or when air travel opens up again, just get it from the US when there's a chance.

Just came back from a camera store in Funan. They throw in more freebies with the pre-order so end up the price is quite comparable with US.
The US price didn't add in the tax yet. Deduct all the freebies and tax then the price seems ok.

This reviewer is to the point (thumbs up) and he did a good test of the eye AF....canon is now right at the top with sony in terms of AF...my opinion ...

link: youtube review

Yep, great review. A couple of things were missing (noise at RAW levels) but that will come from DPReview soon.
Impressive to see the burst capabilities up to frame grab.

i was looking at switching from canon because of lack of IBIS to the a9ii but the R5 looks great and the 28-70 f/2 can replace 3 of my EF mount primes.

Also, can i reuse my old 580ex II flash?