Canon EOS 80D

Yes, seems like 1 stop better.
also better than sony A6000 and A77mk2, Fuji XT-10 when u compare side by side from the web site

Can push 5 stops. a great improvement...Yeah.
about a stop behind nikon d7200.

I like Canon system. Lens choices are plentiful and less expensive.
I've been exprimented with M43,Fuji, pentax and finally back to canon...

Last edited:
Saw on Canon Singapore website that the EOS 80D is priced at $1699 for the body only. Anyone knows where i can get it? Seems there is a promo going on till end March. Free memory card & bag

Saw on Canon Singapore website that the EOS 80D is priced at $1699 for the body only. Anyone knows where i can get it? Seems there is a promo going on till end March. Free memory card & bag

I just tried out the 80D with 18-135 USM in Canon's showroom / Service Centre in Fusionpolis. One of the staff said it should be available in SG next week. No info for PPP yet at this time.

Last edited:
Surprised that 80D of $1,699 is higher than 70D launched price. Nowadays, new products are cheaper than the predecessors.

Canon has a showroom currently??

Don't waste your time visiting the so called showroom. It is a joke. If you want to visit real showroom of Canon in Asia, visit Canon HK. The showroom will take your breath away.

I just tried out the 80D with 18-135 USM in Canon's showroom. One said it should be available in SG next week. No info for PPP yet at this time.

With this note, I exit this thread & give time to more relevant & fruitful things. I dislike participating in a thread with sidetracks and out of context discussions. Regardless, I'll be buying the 80D with 18-135 kit lens as I've written when I first posted in this thread. I like it. Goodbye.

Don't waste your time visiting the so called showroom. It is a joke. If you want to visit real showroom of Canon in Asia, visit Canon HK. The showroom will take your breath away.

so does HK showroom sells better specs 80D?
nobody is buying over the showroom right?
What a joke?

I also exit from this thread. Wasting time on opportunist.

It is just a reply to a member who asked about whether there is a Canon showroom in Singapore. I merely advising him not to waste his time visiting the showroom or to set his expectation. It has nothing to do with the specs of the camera, obviously.

If any of the mod feels that my post shouldn't be there, please help me delete off my post. Thank you.

Surprised that 80D of $1,699 is higher than 70D launched price. Nowadays, new products are cheaper than the predecessors.
If you are still in this forum, please list examples...xpro2 n all sony models like rx1r, rx10mk2 rx100mk4 a6300 much more exp than predecessors, canon 7dmk2 n 5dm3 too more expensive than their predecessors.

Last edited:
Bought it for a week already. Its noise control has definitely improved. Compared to my old EOS 650D.

Bought it for a week already. Its noise control has definitely improved. Compared to my old EOS 650D.

Wolvie77, how you find the focusing and DR?

Wolvie77, how you find the focusing and DR?

Its autofocusing is good. Compared with my EOS 650D much better. Considering its got more autofocus points. Regarding DR, Have not really put it in a test yet cause whole week working. Probably this coming Monday i'll snap some pix to confirm. Cause on leave

Had the 80D for about 2 weeks now, prices at Funan range $1425 - $1490 cash (body only).

I'm not an expert or qualified with the means or knowledge to perform accurate testing but here are some of my opinions on the key features of the 80D (still image). My opinions are subjectively based upon upgrading from a 600D and with about 2 years of shooting experience. I don't own a full frame Canon or any other DSLR brands (full frame or otherwise), so I won't be able to compare with those. I mainly shoot landscapes, I always ETTR when possible and in RAW.

Here goes:

1. Dynamic Range - I shoot mainly landscapes, occasionally small events and family gatherings. I'm an amateur but I know my way around Lightroom and I can say that I can definitely recover more highlights and shadows when I shoot in high contrast environments. With landscapes there's much more detail that can be recovered and that has really given my images new "life". When I recover shadows now I don't see noise colour or any banding (but then again I usually shoot at ISO 100 for landscapes). More on ISO Noise later!

2. Resolution - For some reason (perhaps the increase in megapixels) my images are turning out slightly sharper (or maybe it's because the ADC is on chip now). More detail can be found (due to the higher resolution) but when I compare my images (same lens, same subject, lighting conditions, etc) the 80D does seem quite a bit sharper, especially in the fine details. Maybe someone has an answer to this? Or perhaps it's just my eyes playing tricks on me?

3. Autofocus - It's a no brainer that the XXD series would have a much better AF system compared to XXXD series, but when I tried out the new AF system on the 80D all I can is - WOW! Prior to this I've had some hands on experience with the 70D, 5D MK3 and 7D MK2 just to have a gauge of the 80D's AF system when it arrived. The 70D is good, the 5D MK3 is very good, the 7D MK2 is amazing. I would have to say that the 80D lies very closely with the 7D MK2 and loses out just a little in terms of features and user friendliness. For the average shooter at local sports and wildlife the 80D 45 AF points is more than enough to suit your needs. It covers almost the whole viewfinder and the AI servo tracks very well. It is very responsive when the camera or the subject moves. Unlike the 7D MK2, there are no "case" or preset focus settings to quickly change to suit the situation. Instead for the 80D you need to go into Custom Function settings to make the adjustments (tracking sensitivity, etc). This is where the 80D differentiates itself from 7D MK2 in terms of AF.

4. ISO Noise - Wow. Okay, maybe it is because I jumped from a 600D (5 years old) to an 80D but I was able to shoot at ISO 6400 and recover noise very nicely with noise reduction (~30) and sharpening applied. Of course if I were to zoom in at 100%, there is an obvious loss of detail. But the main winner here is this: very little noise colour! Minimal weird purple or green dots appear on the untouched images. Another winner is this: Very little to no banding! I was quite amazed. Previously my images would almost always display some artifacts or banding (purple or green lines) even when I attempted to recover shadows and boost exposure just by a little (~1 to 2 stops).

If anyone has any questions to help you decide if you should get the 80D you can ask me here and I'll try my best to answer you.

Had the 80D for about 2 weeks now, prices at Funan range $1425 - $1490 cash (body only).

I'm not an expert or qualified with the means or knowledge to perform accurate testing but here are some of my opinions on the key features of the 80D (still image). My opinions are subjectively based upon upgrading from a 600D and with about 2 years of shooting experience. I don't own a full frame Canon or any other DSLR brands (full frame or otherwise), so I won't be able to compare with those. I mainly shoot landscapes, I always ETTR when possible and in RAW.

Here goes:

1. Dynamic Range - I shoot mainly landscapes, occasionally small events and family gatherings. I'm an amateur but I know my way around Lightroom and I can say that I can definitely recover more highlights and shadows when I shoot in high contrast environments. With landscapes there's much more detail that can be recovered and that has really given my images new "life". When I recover shadows now I don't see noise colour or any banding (but then again I usually shoot at ISO 100 for landscapes). More on ISO Noise later!

2. Resolution - For some reason (perhaps the increase in megapixels) my images are turning out slightly sharper (or maybe it's because the ADC is on chip now). More detail can be found (due to the higher resolution) but when I compare my images (same lens, same subject, lighting conditions, etc) the 80D does seem quite a bit sharper, especially in the fine details. Maybe someone has an answer to this? Or perhaps it's just my eyes playing tricks on me?

3. Autofocus - It's a no brainer that the XXD series would have a much better AF system compared to XXXD series, but when I tried out the new AF system on the 80D all I can is - WOW! Prior to this I've had some hands on experience with the 70D, 5D MK3 and 7D MK2 just to have a gauge of the 80D's AF system when it arrived. The 70D is good, the 5D MK3 is very good, the 7D MK2 is amazing. I would have to say that the 80D lies very closely with the 7D MK2 and loses out just a little in terms of features and user friendliness. For the average shooter at local sports and wildlife the 80D 45 AF points is more than enough to suit your needs. It covers almost the whole viewfinder and the AI servo tracks very well. It is very responsive when the camera or the subject moves. Unlike the 7D MK2, there are no "case" or preset focus settings to quickly change to suit the situation. Instead for the 80D you need to go into Custom Function settings to make the adjustments (tracking sensitivity, etc). This is where the 80D differentiates itself from 7D MK2 in terms of AF.

4. ISO Noise - Wow. Okay, maybe it is because I jumped from a 600D (5 years old) to an 80D but I was able to shoot at ISO 6400 and recover noise very nicely with noise reduction (~30) and sharpening applied. Of course if I were to zoom in at 100%, there is an obvious loss of detail. But the main winner here is this: very little noise colour! Minimal weird purple or green dots appear on the untouched images. Another winner is this: Very little to no banding! I was quite amazed. Previously my images would almost always display some artifacts or banding (purple or green lines) even when I attempted to recover shadows and boost exposure just by a little (~1 to 2 stops).

If anyone has any questions to help you decide if you should get the 80D you can ask me here and I'll try my best to answer you.

Agree with u on the ISO & autofocus. I come from the 650D. Really noticed I could pull shadows to reveal more details without much artifacts. Cleaner on the whole. I pair it with the Sigma 120-400mm to shoot jets & my Tokina 11-16mm for landscapes. The results are great.

Here goes:

1. Dynamic Range - I shoot mainly landscapes...

A fine review. Thank-you for sharing.

A sample image of the Canon 80D - unfortunately I didn't think of bringing the 600D for side by side comparison.

$IMG_7935-2.jpg

Basic RAW file:
Canon 80D + Canon EF-S10-18mm 4/4.5-5.6 IS STM
4 sec at f8.0, ISO 100, 10mm

$IMG_7935-4.jpg

Basic adjustments:
Highlight recovery (-100)
Shadows recovery (+100)
Lens Profile Corrections enabled
Remove Chromatic Aberration enabled

$IMG_7935-3.jpg

Final Product with only Lightroom adjustments.

Last edited: