Canon EOS 66???

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedgee

Jan 31, 2002
Tampines
www.pbase.com
Man, Canon must be the most EVIL manufacturer around...just saw the ad abt the EOS 66, with just the right price to lure me into the 'dark side'...Aaaargh, I just can't fight the urge to try SLR anymore!!!! Btw, anyone can tell me if it's good for a beginner (in SLR) :what:

Originally posted by wedgee
Man, Canon must be the most EVIL manufacturer around...just saw the ad abt the EOS 66, with just the right price to lure me into the 'dark side'...Aaaargh, I just can't fight the urge to try SLR anymore!!!! Btw, anyone can tell me if it's good for a beginner (in SLR) :what:

too basic.... IMHO

Hi

yes it looks good enough for a beginner in SLR - the body and lens kit, though i'm sure if u're serious sometime in the future, the given lens will soon make way for better ones ;)

it's cheap enough for u to maybe even throw in a cheap EF 50mm f1.8 to complement your starter kit.

in fact, it looks pretty complete to me, since it has the usual aperture priority, shutter priority and full manual modes of operation, along with wat looks like a decent 6 zone evaluative metering system with a centre partial metering option.

you can add an external flash later too, since it also supports ETTL, and TTL flash modes.

it's a standard EOS camera, which means ANY EF lenses will fit, without u worrying about compatibility problems with different lenses from the same manufacturer, that sort of thing........if u buy a Canon Speedlite flash, then u also get high speed flash sync and all the ETTL goodies that come along with it.

u'll like it ;)

Yes, I think it's a good starting camera. Students and beginners have it real good these days. For that kind of price, you get many good pro features in it. 15 years ago, you can only dream about getting this kind of camera at this kind of price.

Just for your info, I just helped a friend buy a EOS66 at AP for $430 nett, with free camera bag and UV filter. Well the discount from the SRP of $499 is not much, but is within my friend's budget so it was ok with her. The kit comes with 28-90mm lens, but if you buy with the 35-80mm lens it will be $350 (but no point lah).

ok before pple start saying that one shld get at least a eos300 or eos30 to begin with, I must say that my friend is a lady who likes the control and feel of SLR, but will never go into the intricate technical details of photography. So with a limited budget of $400+, I recommended the EOS66 to her.

In my opinion, the EOS66 is quite good enough if you're like my friend. It has all the basic exposure modes, offers ETTL etc, only lacking a DOF preview button and having only 3 focus points, which wouldn't matter much to me (at least) cuz I don't use those at all. Perhaps the focussing speed is slower too, not too sure about that.

Another model in her contemplation was Nikon F55, selling at $420, just $10 cheaper. But the AF is slower, and noisier (with the kit lens), and my friend preferred the feel of the Canon.

I'm not sure about the spec of canon EOS 66. But personnally I find that if the SLR have the abilty from Full Auto to Full Manual. Is good enough for a begineer.
Infact what I find important is to decide what system (brand) to start with? Canon will be Canon all the way with also a Canon DSLR in future.
Next thing that come in is the price of how much you can affort? Theory very simple, more money better body and accessories. But no harm getting a cheap SLR at the begining as you can sell the set or keep it as backup once you out grow it.

Wow! Thanx a ton for all yr great replies!!! Gives me a good feel of where i stand...which is quite broke, after a trip to Japan...

Grateful that u could share yr actual experience with me, Tweek!

Guess I'll definitely be thinking of this basic but complete cam once i get the $$$...hahahah :angel:

Originally posted by Tweek
Just for your info, I just helped a friend buy a EOS66 at AP for $430 nett, with free camera bag and UV filter. Well the discount from the SRP of $499 is not much, but is within my friend's budget so it was ok with her. The kit comes with 28-90mm lens, but if you buy with the 35-80mm lens it will be $350 (but no point lah).

Yo tweek, does the EOS66 comes with 2 year extended warranty as stated in the papers?

May be getting one for my family use. A simple SLR is all dats necessary.

Tweek has made a very vaild and rationale point. I was about to recommend EOS 300 :embrass: when I was made to reflect upon seeing Tweek's post.

It's always good to have a more advance body, better lenses and such but let's not forget what photography is to you. I picked up a EOS 88 more than 2 years simply because I needed a basic SLR to continue capturing precious moments. It had served me very well, given what I've spent...no fantastic, award-winning shots but ones that reminded me that life is eventful!

Whether one will carry on with the hobby in time to come, is another issue. IMO, it's kinda funny to spend loads of $$ on L glass and more advance bodies when one is not certain whether he/she can keep the interest alive...maybe there's a hint of regret from me? ;)

For me, photography started off because I want to capture precious yet fleeting moments. So wedgee, we have said this much, the rest is up to you! We look forward to hear your purchase! All the best! ;)

Originally posted by AdamGoi
For me, photography started off because I want to capture precious yet fleeting moments. So wedgee, we have said this much, the rest is up to you! We look forward to hear your purchase! All the best! ;)

--Hey, I guess that's wat made many people start off their photography stint too!??!

--Wah, don't stress me leh, wait i kena 'kneel durian' when i buy another camera (only 5 months since I bot my G2)... Thanx for all the help anyways!!!

:p

Originally posted by azone

Yo tweek, does the EOS66 comes with 2 year extended warranty as stated in the papers?

yup it does! AP actually reminded us of it spontaneously. There will be two warranty cards to fill up, one for the basic one year warranty, and one for the extended one year. Don't have to send, just fill it up and AP will send for you (supposedly).

Originally posted by Tweek

yup it does! AP actually reminded us of it spontaneously. There will be two warranty cards to fill up, one for the basic one year warranty, and one for the extended one year. Don't have to send, just fill it up and AP will send for you (supposedly).

Alright man! Thanks! ;)

the terms on the website might be overwhelming...
perhaps some comparison in layman terms

Status
Not open for further replies.