canon eos 66 or nikon f55?


Status
Not open for further replies.
E

edx

Guest
#1
I am new to SLR photography and would like to purchase an entry level SLR camera..

which one of the 2 would be better and why?

thanks
 

#2
Originally posted by edx
I am new to SLR photography and would like to purchase an entry level SLR camera..

which one of the 2 would be better and why?

thanks
Avoid both. Save a bit more money and go for the Nikon F80 or Canon EOS 30. I don't know about the EOS 66, but the F55 is quite crappy, especially the plastic lens mount which can wear out with time.

Regards
CK
 

E

edx

Guest
#3
Originally posted by ckiang


Avoid both. Save a bit more money and go for the Nikon F80 or Canon EOS 30. I don't know about the EOS 66, but the F55 is quite crappy, especially the plastic lens mount which can wear out with time.

Regards
CK
are the price quotes on canon's and nikon's websites accurate?
 

E

edx

Guest
#5
Originally posted by Bluestrike

VERY inaccurate!!!
then where can i find a proper pricelist?
i have searched all over the net to no avail. i am fast losing hope. save me.
 

#6
Originally posted by edx
then where can i find a proper pricelist?
i have searched all over the net to no avail. i am fast losing hope. save me.
The Canon/Nikon pricelist on the websites lists the SRP of the product, which is normally quite a bit higher. This is usually what what you will pay if you buy from a place like Best, Harvey Norman, etc.

Go to Cathay Photo's website at http://www.cathayphoto.com.sg/ and get an equote on the products you are interested in. You should get a response within 2 days.

Regards
CK
 

E

edx

Guest
#7
Originally posted by ckiang


Avoid both. Save a bit more money and go for the Nikon F80 or Canon EOS 30. I don't know about the EOS 66, but the F55 is quite crappy, especially the plastic lens mount which can wear out with time.

Regards
CK
The phrase 'a bit more money' is a severe understatement. The EOS 30 about thrice the price of EOS 66.
 

Kit

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
11,692
42
48
42
Upper Bukit Timah
Visit site
#8
Originally posted by ckiang


The Canon/Nikon pricelist on the websites lists the SRP of the product, which is normally quite a bit higher. This is usually what what you will pay if you buy from a place like Best, Harvey Norman, etc.

Go to Cathay Photo's website at http://www.cathayphoto.com.sg/ and get an equote on the products you are interested in. You should get a response within 2 days.

Regards
CK
I think with e-quote, you still wouldn't get the best possible price availble. Surely it wouldn't hurt too much to haul yourself down to the shop and try the cameras right? one of the reason why you're indecisive could be because you haven't handled the cameras yet?
 

Bluestrike

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
4,784
0
0
41
There lor~
bluestrike.clubsnap.org
#9
Originally posted by Kit


I think with e-quote, you still wouldn't get the best possible price availble. Surely it wouldn't hurt too much to haul yourself down to the shop and try the cameras right? one of the reason why you're indecisive could be because you haven't handled the cameras yet?
And I agreed with you abt the part of going down to the shop.
It would be wise to go with a frd to seek his/her opinion. Also, have a feel of the cam itself will also help to decide which to get.
 

E

edx

Guest
#10
Originally posted by Bluestrike

And I agreed with you abt the part of going down to the shop.
It would be wise to go with a frd to seek his/her opinion. Also, have a feel of the cam itself will also help to decide which to get.
The day before i posted this thread i went down to Best to get the price of the EOS 66.
$398.

Yesterday i went down to Alan Photo. $350.

I have felt the camera. Feels good and light. Nice colours too. Just dont have advanced features like DOF preview (is that neccesary?).

I am currently a student and dont think i can afford any more. I'll just have to borrow lenses from my school's photography club.
 

Bluestrike

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
4,784
0
0
41
There lor~
bluestrike.clubsnap.org
#11
Originally posted by edx
The day before i posted this thread i went down to Best to get the price of the EOS 66.
$398.

Yesterday i went down to Alan Photo. $350.

I have felt the camera. Feels good and light. Nice colours too. Just dont have advanced features like DOF preview (is that neccesary?).

I am currently a student and dont think i can afford any more. I'll just have to borrow lenses from my school's photography club.
OIC....
If possible, try looking ard for a 2nd hand EOS 300 I think it better lor!
 

Kei

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
2,080
0
36
#12
yeah a eos300 is much better
 

E

edx

Guest
#14
Originally posted by Bluestrike

OIC....
If possible, try looking ard for a 2nd hand EOS 300 I think it better lor!
great news. today i went down to cathay photo they quoted me EOS 300 with 28-90 lense at $620.
Hmm..
 

Bluestrike

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
4,784
0
0
41
There lor~
bluestrike.clubsnap.org
#15
Originally posted by edx
great news. today i went down to cathay photo they quoted me EOS 300 with 28-90 lense at $620.
Hmm..
That the standard pricing!
But I think that given your budget constraint, try to look for a 2nd hand one. Look ard, there may be people selling. Also, look out for EOS50/55 as it is quite a good SLR despite being ard for a while.
 

Goondu

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
1,292
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
#16
Originally posted by edx
great news. today i went down to cathay photo they quoted me EOS 300 with 28-90 lense at $620.
Hmm..
Maybe can join in the next SEED. Can bargain some more, I believe.
 

E

edx

Guest
#17
Originally posted by Bluestrike

That the standard pricing!
But I think that given your budget constraint, try to look for a 2nd hand one. Look ard, there may be people selling. Also, look out for EOS50/55 as it is quite a good SLR despite being ard for a while.
i was actually surprised to get that quote because i went to the canon website and it quoted $890 with 28-80 mm lense!

now at least there is some hope.
 

Bluestrike

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
4,784
0
0
41
There lor~
bluestrike.clubsnap.org
#18
Originally posted by edx
i was actually surprised to get that quote because i went to the canon website and it quoted $890 with 28-80 mm lense!

now at least there is some hope.
That why in the 1st place, I said that it is VERY inaccurate!

ANyway, you not looking into 2nd hand stuff?
 

E

edx

Guest
#20
Originally posted by Bluestrike

That why in the 1st place, I said that it is VERY inaccurate!

ANyway, you not looking into 2nd hand stuff?
I will then have to worry about the state of the camera and whether the warrantee has expired.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom