Canon EOS 5D MK2 Vs Nikon D700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy1

Oct 10, 2009
Just like your opinion on above FF cameras in term of image quality.

Thanks.

they both have EXCELLENT image quality.
In fact, so does the Sony A900.
so there... has that helped your decision?

by the way, looking at images from either cam at internet resolution isn't a good indicator as well, in case you were considering such an option.

Here we go again.............:bsmilie:

Just like your opinion on above FF cameras in term of image quality.

Thanks.

Read the reviews, compare side by side, and don't forget to factor in Dynamic range. How "clean" your High ISO is is not the only indicator of image quality. For example: Who cares if a camera has clean ISO 6400 if you're usually only shooting at ISO 200-400 anyway?

But the 52 focus point is really something.

By the way, if solely for landscape, scenery, macro once a while, night shot, animal during travelling.

Which is a better one ?

Thanks.

But the 52 focus point is really something.

By the way, if solely for landscape, scenery, macro once a while, night shot, animal during travelling.

Which is a better one ?

Thanks.

Yes, but do you really need 52? How much time will you spend selecting one spot, etc?

Hard to say. You're looking for camera that covers everything.

Landscape/Scenery: Usually low ISO. Sharp lenses needed. Nikon and Sony have the advantage here, especially Sony with it's huge resolution and dynamic range.

Macro: All cameras will do well here, and all brands have good macro lenses.

Night shot: Long exposure on a tripod? Or high ISO to freeze motion? 2 very different things. If it's the first, see "landscape/scenery". If it's high ISO shots, the Canon and Nikon will do very well.

animal during travelling: how far away? What animals? Canon has very good, and very big, expensive telefocus lenses (don't underestimate how hard it is to travel with big lenses). Nikon and Sony take second place here, but if you combine an A850 with a 70-400G or a 500mm mirror lens then you have lots of resolution to play with and crop to your liking.

Thanks.

Currently using a G10. Let me play a while first.

Look like the price of the len is a killer for SLR camera.

Both body and lens for FF are killers :p in order to get better photo quality regardless the brand.

throw a dice..
1-2 = canon
2-3 = nikon
3-4 = sony
4-6 = try again

haha

Both body and lens for FF are killers :p in order to get better photo quality regardless the brand.

But the body is just a one time deal.

Just like to know is Canon & Nikon len interchangeable ?

Not really. The Sony A850 is really a damn good buy lor. (If you dare to try the 'not so popular' brand)

Yes, they are interchangable using an adaptor.

the mounts are different. :)

Image quality in which areas? mega pixels? ISO? dynamic range?.....

Maybe this will shed some light

Colour, Contrast, sharpness. Not really looking to print big.
My Turkey trip is coming. I will count on my G10 to take good pictures. How far can a compact prosumer camera go ?

Last edited:
i think the a850 is a pretty good deal if one is buying into a system and does not have any specific requirements to fulfil. most enthusiasts hardly print out their images, let alone to 8x10 or bigger so the noise issue can be mitigated with NR software. it reminds me of the old 5D. very basic camera that churns out good image quality at an attractive price point. the only thing i don't like abt the camera is the design, ergo and menu.

My Turkey trip is coming. I will count on my G10 to take good pictures. How far can a compact prosumer camera go ?

usually more than most users...most of the time the camera would be limited by the user's skills...except the rare few...

G10 will more than suffice

Actually the G10 performs very well even when compared to 5D2 or D700 so it can go really far. Just need to keep the ISO 100 and below.

can use adaptor. but depending on the adaptor used, usually you will lose something in the process. af, metering, reduce IQ for example.

Actually the G10 performs very well even when compared to 5D2 or D700 so it can go really far. Just need to keep the ISO 100 and below.

Thanks. I am practicing now & then. But still feel there is a limit to what it can do.
Not intending to get so soon. Maybe next year.......

Status
Not open for further replies.