Canon EOS 5D and Nikon D200/D300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absolute

Oct 1, 2007
Up North
Hi everyone,:)

My very first posting, need some pro advise from both Commercial and hobbist as i'm planning to get one DSLR to replace my existing filmback.

Wondering how many pros here uses this 3 body above??:sweatsm:

Heard the EOS 5D has some issue on the Mirror Lock up, that it will fall off after some time.

What's the cause of this?? Thought Canon has all the while been a workhorse??:think:

what do you shoot? very important to know that in order to know which camera suites you better...

as well, try out the cameras yourself in a shop... nothing beats hands-on feel of a camera...

also, do you have in investment in any lenses...

really, both are really fine cameras...

5D is quite a good buy now.

US set has drop to all time low. You can find grey set in s'pore in the region of 3.3-3.5K. Which is very good price considering it is FF.

Depends what you are planning to shoot, and try the cameras at the shop before buying. The advantage of a 5D over a D300 is it is FF and does not have crop factor. If you like live view, then you can go for the D300. It's your choice after all.

5ds in usa are going for 1100 - 1600 usd used depending on condition.

grab one on the forums there, ie fredmiranda.com, etc....

if u want speed and durability though, i'd go for the nikon anytime.

get the 5D.

I have doubts upon the D200's 'durability' now. I can compare my uncle's DSLR (1 year) and my school's (2.5 years) 350Ds and the D200's condition is totally horrible.

It really depends on how they are used. Some people may just have a lot of money, a $3k toy is just to throw around. School's different because if you don't handle with care you'll need to pay! So ultimately, I think the school's camera has probably taken less abuse.

I use my D70s heavily and the condition is still very good! D200 should be no exception.

Well, to tell you the truth, my uncle's DSLR get itself used in about once in every 6 months (on overseas trips). We have events almost every other week. Also the camera is also allowed to be borrowed home by students, and it has been:

1) dropped in a toilet bowl (don't asked me how that happened)
2) dropped on stage floor/concrete floor/parquet floor/solid pavement/gravel etc.
3) whacked against a wall
4) dropped into the school's koi pond
5) replaced its shutter 3 times in 1.5 years (estd shots around 200K).

I doubt my uncle's DSLR has been abused to such an extent.

Well, to tell you the truth, my uncle's DSLR get itself used in about once in every 6 months (on overseas trips). We have events almost every other week. Also the camera is also allowed to be borrowed home by students, and it has been:

2) dropped on stage floor/concrete floor/parquet floor/solid pavement/gravel etc.

so correct me if i'm wrong, but are you comparing the school's 350D to your uncle's d200?

My very first posting, need some pro advise from both Commercial and hobbist as i'm planning to get one DSLR to replace my existing filmback.

Heard the EOS 5D has some issue on the Mirror Lock up, that it will fall off after some time.

What's the cause of this?? Thought Canon has all the while been a workhorse??:think:

Well, maybe you would like to tell us what camera are you using now and what are the lenses you have currently. If you have a couple of good lenses in your current set up, maybe, it's wiser to stick to the current camp.

Although i personally feel that the 350D and the D200 belong to 2 totally different classes, let's not start a lil debate on which would last/tahan/etc etc longer.

To the thread starter, I've been personally using my d200 for over 3 years with over 320k on the shutter via opanda, dinged beyond means, with the bottom looking like my old F2 (all brasssed up). I also use a bunch of other cameras, namely my son's 20d, colleague's Rebel Xti, and etc etc... The d200, to me, is a camera that i wouldn't hesitate to put together with another d2x/h on a working assignment.

It's indeed hard to explain how the d200's different, and stories of how they were beat to hell just wouldn't work in my opinion. Don't compare specs at this point because you'll just end up getting a headache. Go to a shop, or to one of the meetings held by the jolly people on this forum, hold a D200, hold a Rebel XTi. (350d, etc) and hold the a D2 or even a D1 body. You'll like how the d200 feels vs the rest.

Regarding the 5d, I've cracked 2 bodies due to stress fractures caused by heavy lenses, and returned the 3rd due to work related causes... and well, sadly for the price, i would go for a 2n unless i really needed the fullframe.
:)

so correct me if i'm wrong, but are you comparing the school's 350D to your uncle's d200?

My point is, personally, I feel that there's really not much point in looking at build quality as an aspect into choosing gear, it is really about how you are able to make full use of the gear you have to shoot great pictures. And if YOU THINK the build really affects the shooting experience, then by all means get a body with better build. After all DSLRs have a certain standard of build quality that enables the everyday abuse and damage we inflict on it in the course of high-quantity shooting.

You should get a hands on both camera and see which one feels better to you. :)

My point is, personally, I feel that there's really not much point in looking at build quality as an aspect into choosing gear, it is really about how you are able to make full use of the gear you have to shoot great pictures. And if YOU THINK the build really affects the shooting experience, then by all means get a body with better build. After all DSLRs have a certain standard of build quality that enables the everyday abuse and damage we inflict on it in the course of high-quantity shooting.

Glad you clarified your point. Your previous post about toilet bowls and your uncle's camera didn't exactly point to any of your above mentioned opinions. ;p

You should get a hands on both camera and see which one feels better to you. :)

well said. :)

Last time i went down to TCW, saw quite a bit of 5ds there. Ask for daniel... nice chap, he'll bring out whatever he has and will give you quite a run down provided there's no crowd.

So why would you doubt the durability of your uncle's D200? Is something wrong with it already? I've heard more stories about mirror coming off and shutter failures for Canon DSLRs.

The Canon Nikon debate will never end. At the end of the day, what have we to show?

All those who say one type of body is better than the other, it's usually a very one-off thingy.

Generally, Nikon is not better than Canon. Neither is Canon better than Nikon.

Dvert a little: My friend bought his iPod and it konked off the very first day! So iPods look nice but lousy in quality? Mine has been running well after about 3 years.

So why would you doubt the durability of your uncle's D200? Is something wrong with it already? I've heard more stories about mirror coming off and shutter failures for Canon DSLRs.

That is irrelevant. Please refer to my point as stated above.

To sum it all off, TS, we are saying for equipment, what works for you works for you. You don't have to justify your reasons to others, and neither can others justify their photographic preferences to you.

In the end, canon=nikon=olympus=fujifilm=leica=pentax=sony=minolta....etc.

You get the idea.

My suggestion is since its a rather high involvement purchase, maybe you can borrow or rent the cameras you are keen on buying & bring it out for a field test. This proves to be very useful for me & in the end I settled on a camera that suits my kind of work. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.