Canon EOS 500 Film Camera

wakingupfamous

Mar 3, 2010
I posted this at the newbie discussion since I'm obviously also a newbie but I decided to post this at the Canon discussion board also for obvious reasons.

Anyway, my dad just recently unearthed his old SLR, a Canon EOS 500 35 mm Film Camera body bought in 1995 and gave it to me along with an EF 35-80 f4.0-5.6 III lens. (I have no idea what is that cos I'm just copying it down from the very old warranty card he still kept)

Its been in storage for so long I'm afraid its not in a good condition, the focal plane shutter has some smudge on it, there's the possibility of mold in the lens also, so I'd like to get both the body and lens serviced. How much and where can I bring it to??

Thanks!

Its been in storage for so long I'm afraid its not in a good condition, the focal plane shutter has some smudge on it, there's the possibility of mold in the lens also, so I'd like to get both the body and lens serviced. How much and where can I bring it to??
This is likely the old 'sticky shutter' issue. Some bumper foam for the shutter is disintegrating into some black, sticky goo. Canon does not service this camera anymore. You could either carefully clean on your own (but that is just removing the goo from shutter, will last you a while and then it comes back) or check with those repair shops like TCW. There is a list in consumer corner. I'm facing the same issue, but haven't contacted the shops yet.
More to read up here: http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Hzsw
Regarding fungus: just check for cob web-like stuffs in lens and mirror box. Should be pretty obvious. Take a torch light and check the lens. If the lens is spoiled you can easily get similar lenses here in B&S, saw a couple of these old lenses. Or: just get a EF 50mm f/1.8 as prime and enjoy film :)

Last edited:
I posted this at the newbie discussion since I'm obviously also a newbie but I decided to post this at the Canon discussion board also for obvious reasons.

Anyway, my dad just recently unearthed his old SLR, a Canon EOS 500 35 mm Film Camera body bought in 1995 and gave it to me along with an EF 35-80 f4.0-5.6 III lens. (I have no idea what is that cos I'm just copying it down from the very old warranty card he still kept)

Thanks!

My dad gave me the exact same set up! Except the eos 500 is already spoilt so i use the lens on my 1000D. :)