Canon eos 40D.. which lens to start with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolWood

Apr 19, 2009
Dear All Seniors,

I have finally decided to purchase a Canon EOS 40 D, after playing with it for several times in the shop, it gives me a nice feeling...

Now, my problem is, :confused:i can't decide to start with which lens, the following are few options that in my consideration:

1) Canon 18 - 55 mm kit lens + Canon 55 - 250 mm IS
2) Canon EF-S 17-85 mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens
3) Tamron 17 - 50 mm f2.8
4) Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
5) Sigma 18 - 200 mm w/o OS
6) Sigma 18-200 F3.5-6.3 DC OS

Please advise... will apprecaite it very much. Thanks

Would be better if you tell us what you like to shoot and your budget.

Dear All Seniors,

I have finally decided to purchase a Canon EOS 40 D, after playing with it for several times in the shop, it gives me a nice feeling...

Now, my problem is, :confused:i can't decide to start with which lens, the following are few options that in my consideration:

1) Canon 18 - 55 mm kit lens + Canon 55 - 250 mm IS
2) Canon EF-S 17-85 mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens
3) Tamron 17 - 50 mm f2.8
4) Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
5) Sigma 18 - 200 mm w/o OS
6) Sigma 18-200 F3.5-6.3 DC OS

Please advise... will apprecaite it very much. Thanks

tamron 17-50, it won't direct you to the wrong direction

is option 2 good?

I'll recommend option 1 or 3.
The new kit len is pretty neat. Pretty good value for the price.
You might also want to get a 50mm f1.8 II prime lens for portraits.

If you can afford to pay more for the lens, then get this combi: :)
- 17-40mm f4 L USM
- 50mm f1.8 II

Hi Coolwood, we are on the same boat, I owned an Canon 40D too and with EF 28~135MM IS lens, it is very handy, both for indoor and outdoor. If I am not wrong, this lens is equivalnet to optical lens 42 mm to 202 mm focal lenght(?). I guess if you get an Canon EF 18~200 MM IS, that will be around optical focal lenght 27~300 MM equivalent, quite decent for both wide angle and teleangle lens photo taking. The beauty of IS is: it will greatly mitigate the blur image due to hand-shake. Hope this will help :)

I reccomend u start with 2nd hand 18-55 kit lens. Its cheap and takes decent photos. When u get a hang of what u want to do with ur camera then invest in a better lens. U can always rent lens to test out. Better than buy already regret.

Hi, appreciate all your advices...thanks.

i actually wish to start with a reasonably good walk-ard lens, but..as budget limited, i only can afford to spend up to 1k for the lens. I will go to the shop again to see if can get any good offer of above recommended lens.

Perhaps can buy a better quality lens later , hopefully will get better bonus in this coming July..hehe;)

Hi, appreciate all your advices...thanks.

i actually wish to start with a reasonably good walk-ard lens, but..as budget limited, i only can afford to spend up to 1k for the lens. I will go to the shop again to see if can get any good offer of above recommended lens.

Perhaps can buy a better quality lens later , hopefully will get better bonus in this coming July..hehe;)

After I ditched my kit lens, 18-55. I got the EFS 17-55 f/2.8, a little pricey. But 1 look at the bright LCD after mounting the lens, convinced me that it is a better lens.

The 17-55 is now mounted on my 40D more than 80% of the time.

17-50 is good. If willing to spend, the 17-55mm.

try not to get the kit lens.

1) If you are serious into photography, you will grow out of it very fast.
2) If you want to off-load a kit lens, it's going not gg to be as easy as say, off loading a 17-50 f/2.8.

just my 2 cents :)

Tamron 17-50mm get my vote.
It has the best optics quality in your list.

Hi i went to the shop yesterday. The boss show me a Tamron 17 - 50 f2.8 (new) and a used Canon EF-S 17-85/4-5.6 IS USM (only used for 2 months, looks new).

If i buy the Canon 17 85 i could save about $150.

Can any one tell me which lens is more suitable as a walk-ard lens ?

Thanks

tamron 17-50 my vote as well....

TS knows anything on aperture? if u does, u shld know tamron 17-50 comes w constant f2.8...17-85 doesnt and do a google n search..the reviews on 17-85 isnt that ideal..

i own the TAMRON 17-50 + EOS 40D combi.

no regrets about the 17-50, its sharp..a lil wide ..and stays on my 40D body 85% of time i walk about. you wont go wrong with it.besides once you outgrow it,there are other newbies who would want to buy from you.

for potraiture,i go with 50mm 1.8, and 85mm 1.8 for the headshots.

tamron 17-50mm for me. it is a good walk around lens for me.
but it really depends on individual.

tammy 17-50 if not EF-S 17-55 f2.8 =p

Status
Not open for further replies.