Canon EOS 400D or Nikon D50/D70s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mynameisjizeng

Aug 10, 2006
Upper Bukit Timah
hello hello all,

i'm thinking of getting one of the cameras listed above.
can somebody tell me which is the best in terms of:

1. value for money
2. image quality
3. image processor
4. add-ons: capabilities & price
5. overall ease of use

thanks!

regards,
andrew

hello hello all,

1. value for money
2. image quality
3. image processor
5. overall ease of use

thanks!

regards,
andrew

Go for 400D - got 10MP mah. If possible, wait for 450D :bsmilie:

Seriously, I think any of the 3 bodies is good enough.
But if it were me, I'll choose one with the biggest viewfinder among the three.
And how about adding the D80 to the choices as well.

I'd go with the highest MP count as well, among other things.
If and when you need it, you use it.
When you don't, just set to a setting that uses a lower resolution.

1. value for money
2. image quality
3. image processor
5. overall ease of use

after reading the no.1 criteria...

D50 liao lor... the rest are all more expensive and not big jump in quality:)

get D50 and solid lenses is better than solid body but lower-end lenses

WRT to point 1.

With the current deals going on with the D70s - they are bundling a Manfrotto 190 tripod and head, two CF cards, etc. If you can use the extras, the D70s actually is not a bad buy at the moment.

WRT to point 5.

While I find the WB on the Canons to be better than the Nikons and the edge on overall image quality going to the Canons, I'd still buy a Nikon at the low end of things. If you want to buy into Canon, start with the 30D.

This is bec if nothing has changed between the "old" 350D and 400D in terms of User Interface, I'd go with the Nikons as the UI on the low end Canons are crappy IMO. Compare the UI of the 350D with the Nikons to know what I mean.

Also the cheap and cheesy feel of the 350D isn't to my liking. From what I have read so far, this hasn't changed with the 400D. The Nikons are much nicer in this department.

With the Nikons, I prefer the D70s just because it has a dedicated dial for aperture (or was that shutter speed - can't really remember now) and the fact that it takes CF cards (I find SD cards a tad fragile and small enough that they can get lost easily), but you might like the D50. Try before you buy.

No experience with the D80 as yet so I'll reserve my comments on it. But the 18-135 kit lens that comes with it apparently has a plastic mount which kills it for me.

Best thing to do is to get your hands on all three or four bodies and test them out yrself. Use the advice given here as a general guide. Check out other reviews on the net to supplement what you have already been told.

1. value for money - D50 or D70s (provided the manfrotto 190Prob + 486RC2 promotion is still there)
2. image quality - 400D follow by D50/D70s (10MP vs 6MP)
3. image processor - Either 400D or D50... D70s processor ain't good at noise handling
Capabilities - 400D best since it is the newest and most expensive (considering body ONLY price)
Price - Definitely D50 at about 1.1k

anyway since you decided to look at the 400D, why not look at the Nikon D80 as well?

Conclusion... I either get D50 or D80

hmmm.. alright thanks!

kinda feel more inclined to get the D50/70 over the 400D cuz of price and overall use.

the only pro about 400D i see is the higher mp count. true?

thanks all?

regards,
andrew

mynameisjizeng said:
hmmm.. alright thanks!

kinda feel more inclined to get the D50/70 over the 400D cuz of price and overall use.

the only pro about 400D i see is the higher mp count. true?

thanks all?

regards,
andrew
no... it should have better noise control than the nikon especially the d70s... but how much better, i :dunno:, gotta wait for review to come out. i also have a anti-dust function and newer technology as compared with d50 and d70s. a more direct counterpart of the 400d should be d80. (price is very close for body ONLY)

If you are given $2000 only and nothing more.
The D50 will definitely give you the best bang for the buck.
After spending on the body, you still have some $$ left for a good lens and a flashlight,
especially if you get 2nd hand from B&S.
The D50 have lesser functions and features.
This is not a bad point, especially if you don't need them.
That means less to learn and easier to get familiar with the body.

I just got the 400D and find it to be a really good camera. For a newbie like myself, it's not difficult to use. It's got lotsa features to master and for a pro, I'd expect that it's quite well-equipped too :)

The noise handling for D80 is pretty impressive I would say... So, the noise at Canon CMOS is no longer the best now.

Hope DIGIC III is more powerful?

Canon really need to catch up with other newer features...

The 400D is better bang for the buck compared to the D80, although Nikon users will no doubt disagree on this. Don't forget the Sony A100 as well. The D50 has stiff competition from the Pentax (anti-shake,), Olympus (2 kit lenses package) and 350D price wise.

mynameisjizeng said:
hello hello all,

1. value for money
2. image quality
3. image processor
5. overall ease of use

thanks!

regards,
andrew

I just looked at your criteria & says Nikon D50 straight away. No need to think more. :bsmilie:

Aiya, if you still thinking , go check out the EOS 400D at the Canon Pro Shutterbug Event this weekend at Orchard cineleisure . If you like then can buy there right? :bsmilie: no need think so long. it's all about what you want right. Did you try the cams elsewhere at all ?

mynameisjizeng said:
hello hello all,

1. value for money
2. image quality
3. image processor
5. overall ease of use

thanks!

regards,
andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.