Canon EOS 350D vs 400D, which to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ch3nyong

Apr 26, 2007
Hi guys..

I had been into photography few years ago and now seriously considering to move forward into dSLR.
Out of the brands and models out there, I had decided to go for either 350D or 400D.

What I fancy about 400D over 350D:
- 10MP
- Low pass filter with ultra-sonic vibration
- Nine area Auto Focus sensor
- Larger 2.5" LCD screen
- Camera settings made on main LCD

What I fancy about 350D over 400D:
- Cheaper. Price does matter =)
- No underexposure issue like 400D with kit lense (how is this issue in m'sia and s'pore? is it only on certain batch? or it's a known general issue?)
- Dedicate status panel, which has no irritating white backlid like 400D's ..?
- Errr, cheaper. =)

NOW that I've sort of made up my mind to go for 400D after receiving e-quotation from one of the reliable shop =)

Here are the prices for your reference:
- Canon EOS 400D Body : $1118 + 5% GST
- Canon EOS 400D Kit : $1265 + 5% GST

Now, I have another doubt on which option to go for, and need recommendations/thoughts from you guys =)

1. Go for 400D Kit and stay with (lousy?) Kit Lense until I have more budget (dono when =P) to get better lense
2. Get 400D Body (saves around $150+) and get a 3rd party lense which is slightly better than the kit lense

The thing is, if there are any better (than kit lense) 3rd party lense around $200+ I would consider that.

This is because: My budget is no more than $1500, and I will need to spend on a 2nd battery + lense hood (if not come together with lense) + filter -- which should not cost more than $100.

** OPTIONS : I may also consider getting any good deal second hand lense =) But more advises needed for that!!

Please, your opinions are needed! Thanks! =)

8 - 10MP doesn't matter. Dust buster doesn't work too well on 400D.

The single 2.5" screen on 400D is way better than the 1.8" + info dual screen setup on 350D.

Price... 350D has been out of production for a while. Wondering why there are so many left in Singapore (and selling at a price at which you can almost buy new 400D elsewhere).

What I like from my 400D : 9 AF, Fast Focussing, large + bright LCD screed. A perfect match with Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 lens.
If money is your concern, get 350D with the kit lens. You are ready to go !
(Frankly speaking, I don't see different image quality between 350D and 400D).

I suggest you go to camera shop, try both camera and test. You decide which one to buy.
Good luck.

i think if money is not ur issue then go get 400d. 2.5'' lcd n 10MP :thumbsup:. underexposure problem can be fixed by sending to CSC (free of course).

I think you heard everyone now that there's not much difference between 350d and 400d. My advise is go to your room and lock yourself, then ask your wallet, your bank acct or your parents, are you willing to spend $400 more for 400D? I hope they will give you the right answer. . . . :)

In my case, I choosed 350D though I have no problem getting 400D because I was not sure with myself at that time if I will stay in photography for a long time, but since I start clicking I can't stop myself anymore. . . :)

tink the main diff is price ba as most of em hav said...i'm using a 350d n i'm happy w it :)

IIRC, the 400D uses the 30D AF engine. And in fact, the "irritating" white screen turns out to be quite pleasing. Unless you can get a 350D at less than half the price of a 400D. Otherwise, I think it's worth the price difference.

Hi guys.. im amazed to see so many sincere replies from you guys, thanks! =)

Seems like not many (except one) of you mentioned about the underexposure issue on 400D.. I see that many of you are 400D users, can you guys share your experience and views on this issue? 10q..

At mean time, I am almost firm on going into this expensive hobby with 400D.. The very last time asking about the price for 350D kit was $980 and 400D kit was $1300 (last week), and that is amazing. And the news on 350D being discontinued actually amazed me, too.

Again, thanks everyone for your thoughts! :thumbsup:

The 400D improve focusing in dim light comparing to the 350D.

This reason and the 9 focusing point are the main reason I consider upgrading from the 350D and 400D.

But after renting one to try try, I decided not to bother.. too used to the handling of the 350D very lazy to change.. and I really miss the small status panel. :(

get the 400D of course. For the underexposure problem, i used the 350D before upgrading to the 400D. Both cameras expose in the same way in my opinion. If you have a highlight in the image that covers a significant portion of the image, be it a sunlit window or a person in white (reflecting the flash/sunlight), the image will be underexposed, and you will need to up the ev by a little.

$300+ is worth of considering for 400D.

If the below is important for you.

400D improve focusing accuracy in dim light comparing to the 350D
bigger & brighter LCD screen
If you want to use Lens f2.8 of f1.8

White backlid on 400D's can be turn off
I donot have much underexposure problem with my 400d.

I had a little struggle between 400D and 30D for the better screen and OSD of 400D. But the handling doesn't work too well for me. Used a friend's 350D for a while and I must say not as nice as 400D but worth considering if you are on budget.

First of all, thanks to all of you who had given me your valuable thoughts! =)

NOW that I've sort of made up my mind to go for 400D after receiving e-quotation from one of the reliable shop =)

Now, I have another doubt on which option to go for, and need recommendations/thoughts from you guys =)

1. Go for 400D Kit and stay with (lousy?) Kit Lense until I have more budget (dono when =P) to get better lense
2. Get 400D Body (saves around $150+) and get a 3rd party lense which is slightly better than the kit lense

The thing is, if there are any better (than kit lense) 3rd party lense around $200+ I would consider that.

This is because: My budget is no more than $1500, and I will need to spend on a 2nd battery + lense hood (if not come together with lense) + filter -- which should not cost more than $100.

** OPTIONS : I may also consider getting any good deal second hand lense =) But more advises needed for that!!

Thanks, again =)

i will recommend for you to go for the 400D body only + a sigma 17-70 or a 18-125 as a ;0good walk around lens, or perhaps even the tamron 17-50 F2.8. the 17-70 and tamron cost abt 500-600, cheaper if 2nd hand, and the 18-125 shouldnt cost more thant 400 2nd hand

Will seriously consider your option, thanks!

But 400+ is slightly too much for me, and I dont see any deals on 2nd hand for those lense..

Actually, my first task would be going to cambodia next month :D landscape desu! So I suppose a wider lense is preferred, but I dont see any neccessary in getting (extreme) zoom lense... thoughts please! :)

Ahh btw, if in the end I'd stick with kit lense, I may consider getting a 2nd hand one @ cheaper price (around $70+ with filter/hood?) =D Since I will somehow, someday change to other lense and at the same time, fork out a little budget for some forumers here =)

hello

i once heard.....

Amatures worry about equipment,
Professionals worry about money,
Masters worry about light.

there are photogs who captures soul of moments with a dummy camera. and on the pultzers prize winnners...

empty your pocket for the best camera you can afford... because you will probably not regret it since you already decided on CANON! hehe... the decision to buy a better camera is because your skill will out grow your equipment very soon. the judgement day will come with you realising FPS, Crop factor or nice LCD screen that can see clearly from any angle (you guys knows which model of canon LCD i am talking about :p ) makes a different. you will want to upgrade.

And since Narcotics Bureau also classified photography as a serious addiction. you wont get out of it any soon. so have your fill at cambodia and show us all what youare made of !!! and i am looking forward to see your works and cambodia is a lovely place. :)

HAVE FUN

*if you have that extra dough, 30D is a good entry level pro camera to start with. and there are 2nd hand going around 1600 left/right. Ideal lenses to do travel photography is Sigma 10-20mm f5.6 super wide angle and the canon 70-200 2.8. thats all you will need to come back and do your own exhibition. :)*

I'd throw a spanner in the works and say stick with the kit lens, because it's good enough to begin with. Don't put the kit lens down so quickly; it's not lousy at all. In fact, I remember one CS-er commenting on how much sharper he found it, in relation to his expectations.

Oh, and the 30D is not a pro-level cam. :)

If you have decided to go for 400D and kit lens, go for body alone and grab the kit lens in CS B&S for $70... many CSians sell their kit lens here at $70.. sometimes it even come with filter.

y people still want to get 350d when 400d has become so affordable...

Status
Not open for further replies.